crappy power supply?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by feet, Jan 23, 2012.

1. feet

feet Supporting Member

been using a 1 spot for years now without issue. but recently, my amp had kinda been fading in and out a little; sounded like i was going from a 12" speaker to an 8" or 10" and then it would come back. it would also make a spring reverb crash kinda noise when it went on or off stand by.

i thought the tubes might be it so i changed all of those and when i brought the pedals back in the weirdness came back. only powering two pedals and a tuner at the moment, a third pedal has its own power supply. straight into the amp, no loop. the amp seems a little noisier and hum-ier than usual, even after the tube swap, even with no pedals in the chain.

this is all new to me. thoughts? could it be the power supply, or a pedal acting up? should i get a bunch of 9 volts and figure this out?

2. jb4674

jb4674 Member

What kind of amp is it? Do you have some kind of surge protector where everything plugs into?

3. feet

feet Supporting Member

Top hat club royale. And yes, the amp and 1 stop are on the same strip. It isnt a dollar store power strip, but it isn't a super fancy one, either.

4. nnick

nnick Member

Could be bad cables or dirty input or output jacks on the pedals or amp. I had a similar experience with my Club Royale. I talked back and forth with Brian Gerhard and it ended up being a dirty input jack on the amp. A little contact cleaner fixed the issue.

5. feet

feet Supporting Member

I'll try that,i should have a can of that somewhere. Or I can plug into the second input. Thanks.

6. feet

feet Supporting Member

well, i tried all that (save the contact cleaner, guess i don't have any around) and it is still the same. both inputs. i even plugged it right into the wall. i did notice the light go off and on when i messed with the cable, though it wasn't loose at all on either end. man, i hope its something cheap. :(

i shot him an email and i'll hope for the best.

7. nnick

nnick Member

Calling him is quicker.
    (919)267-4550

8. feet

feet Supporting Member

can't, its nite nite time and i don't want to get all involved with it right now. any ideas what are his phone hours? i emailed once before i got a reply in a day or so. heard he loves to talk, though.

this sucks hard because i've been shopping around for something to replace the ac4 that died and i put it off, really hoping the tubes would solve it. now that i've got my eye on something, i need to budget for this instead. 1st world problems. :/

9. nnick

nnick Member

Call before 5pm Eastern time.

10. feet

feet Supporting Member

worst case scenario- brian wants me to send it in and i missed out on my ebay auction for a repacement. at least the email response was quick.