Crate Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Ed Reed, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

Any Crate users here? What amps and how do you like them?

2. Crunchyriff

Crunchyriff Member

V32 Palomino. The best amp they've put out. and it's a good un. Mine constantly amazes me. I like it far better than the Tremoverb I just bought.

3. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

If I could find a V32 I'd get one. Seem to be sort of scarce.

I had a *Crate-St louis Music* V50 (VFX5212..not bad FX build in as well). Damn thing sounded more like a Hot rodded Marshall than, well, Marshall. Redundant amp, so I had to let it go...regretting it too.

Others will not like them, but I still think GREAT amps.

EP

4. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

What about the Blue Voodoo series?

5. Ganderson

Ganderson Member

Palomino V8 here.

Sounds great and it's very light and compact.

Lately I've been trying to run it clean(ish) and use pedals for different levels of OD, but I've been a bit put off by it's lack of clean headroom and it's midrange "honk" that I can't seem to dial out. Of course that is probably the price for running a 5w amp with a 10" speaker in such a tiny cabinet.

6. PB Wilson

PB Wilson Member

I've owned a Vintage Club, 60 watt, 2x10 combo for the last few years and it's a really flexible amp because of the two completely independent channels and boost switches. It's a loud and punchy amp to boot. It did have one warranty issue that was causing it to blow fuses, but it was fixed quickly and hasn't given me trouble in the past year.

That said, it has a pretty weak reverb and plastic shaft pots. It's the price you pay for not having to pay a lot.

7. John Thigpen

John Thigpen Member

I think the only differences between the V32 Palamino and the V30 are cosmetic. The V32's are white with gold trim, and only available from Guitar Center. The V30's are black, and available through any Crate dealer. I have a V3112...the last three digits are the speaker configuration. I replaced the stock low end Celestion with a Weber Ceramic Blue Dog, and it's a really nice sounding amp. They're available now with an upgraded ceramic Tone Tubby. Be warned that you may have to go on a rattle hunt, though. I think the tone is in Vox territory, but I haven't had the pleasure of playing a real Vox in years, so I can't say for sure. It sounds almost as good as my Dr Z Maz 38.

John

8. soulohio

soulohio Member

i have a V16 i got from guitar center...i replaced the stock celestion with a celestion blue...this amp has a very nice lead voice....but oh yea the sob rattles.....i also stuck a tung sol at7 in v2 to lose some of the gain....this little amp is somewhat of a mule in that i swap all kinds of stuff in and out to see what i like....you could toast bread on those el84 tubes....

9. BozoTone

BozoTone Member

I have looked all over for a V3112, the Non-GC V32. I think with good old glass, a G12M or G12H style speaker this would be a great little giggin' amp you would mind getting some beer and cig smoke on.....
    BZT

10. Leftee

Leftee Guest

???

What is it about the Tremoverb that isn't settling in with you? Enquiring minds wanna know. :D

11. myles111

myles111 Member

The V series amps are all a lot of bang for the $$$$$$

12. Crunchyriff

Crunchyriff Member

IMHO: yuck. YMMV, and all that. I remember all the hype when these came out...so I played a few. Couldn't figure out why there was such a buzz about them. Not my cup o tea, at least.

That downer was one of the main reasons I waited two years before trying a V32. I figured it would be deja vu...

boy was I wrong.

13. Crunchyriff

Crunchyriff Member

I ditched the stock Re-labeled Seventy/80 Celestion pretty much immediately after I bought the V32...installed a nice G12H30 70th Annv (that I scored from Herr Leftee)- what a difference! I also installed Tesla JJ EL84's- the OEM "GT" EL84's turned to garbage in about 10 hrs of use. Just junky obnoxious rattletraps. I now have just a faint bit of filament rattle, but this always goes with 84's in a combo.

From what I understand, you can get the Tone Tubbys in the 2x12 extension cab; but I'm not so sure about getting one in the V30 or V32 combos.

14. tomteriffic

tomteriffic Member

Still have an original Vintage Club 3012 30 watt 1 x 12 combo that was my main gig dog for eons. Tough as nails and sounded great. The goodies are in the clean channel. Put some good bottles in, dime it and control clean, crunch and sing from your guitar's volume control. That one was Class A through and through. The otherwise identical Class A/B 50 watt head was my amp for bigger venues and was almost as good.

Reverb on both was pretty thin, though.

15. gsf

gsf Member

Yes - Tone Tubby available in V3112T as an option.

16. Crunchyriff

Crunchyriff Member

I'll email you. I don't wanna hijack my bro's thread here...

17. Leftee

Leftee Guest

Roger that!

Oh, sorry!:Spank

18. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

Hijak away. I'd like to hear that too.

19. Bloozcat

Bloozcat Member

I have a Vintage Club 30 and a Vintage Club 20-112R, and I love both of these amps. The VC30 is more versatile than the VC20...more clean headroom and a deeper, fuller sound.

Both amps respond very well to tube and speaker upgrades. The VC20 is great for high gain at moderate volumes (it's still loud, though), and the VC30 does anything from a Fender-like clean to the edge of Marshall tone.

For the money, I don't think you can do much better... but that's IMHO, you mileage may vary.

20. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

On Crunchyriff's advice I picked up a 3112. It's on the way.