Crate Palomino and V series best buy?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by nsriley, Jan 4, 2006.

1. nsriley

nsriley Member

I've been looking over and searching on here about Crate's Palomino's and V series tube amp combos. I would love to get a small 8 or 12 inch combo from crate but dunno which to go with since I can't play any locally to find out, I'll have to order online.

Here's the one's I'm interested in:

Palomino V8 5w 8" at $279
    Palomino V16 5w 12" at $399
    V1512T 15w 12" ToneTubby at $499
    V1512 15w 12" Celestion at $499

Now I gotta figure out which one to possible get!!!! Any help would be great. I think that ToneTubby one would be sweet, but I dunno.

-Peace
    -Nate

2. jetwolf

jetwolf Member

My 13-year old nephew had outgrown his first amp (an okay sounding, but not too powerful Marshall 15 watt solid state). He started playing with a drummer and needed something a bit louder. So armed with $500 or so of saved Christmas and birthday money, he made the trip up to to St. Louis to visit me for a few days for the search. I was intially going to look for a used Dr. Z Carmen Ghia or Fender Silverface, but the impatience of a teenager with money burning in his pocket didn't allow time for that search. Eight music stores later, the amp that stood out in that price range, clearly to me, was a Crate V32 Palomino. I believe it is the same as the black V30, but Guitar Center has them dressed differently (great looking amp; tan tolex and gold) 30 watt, cathode biased EL 84 quad. Wonderful chiming clean sound that easily compared with some of my boutique amps. Nice sounding grind with useable footswitchable boosts. I was very impressed. I still was not sure if he was quite ready to take care of a tube amp yet, but this one sounded so much better than anything else we ran into, it was a no- brainer. The amp does run very hot, as most amps of this type do. Reliability of the PC board with that kind of heater could be a concern, but it does come with a 5 year warranty. We took the amp back to my place to unbox and test before he headed home. I plugged my Les Paul Special with Fralin P90s into it for an hour or so and was pretty impressed by the tones. I would like to get a chance to try it with a band sometime to see if it could hang volume-wise and cut through with depth.

Hmmmm...thinking about buying one myself now. Maybe I'll wait to see how his holds up.

3. sws1

sws1 Member

I have the V32 Palomino and it is a killer sounding amp. Factor in the price ($599) and it's a steal.

The combos need to have screws tightened and some metal-to-metal contacts quieted with some tape of glue. But after I did that, it's awesome. And while loud, it's not outrageously loud.

I haven't played the black-Tone Tubby version. Perfectly happy with the Guitar Center Palomino version.

My suggestion is to have them take it out of the box when you buy it. Play it loud to make sure that it isn't excessively noisy. I had to return one.

4. stephenT

stephenT Silver Supporting Member

great amps for the price. I have a V1512. I'd go for the 15 watter with a 12 inch speaker. (i believe the V16 is a 15 watt amp).

5. SFW

SFW Member

Great amps. Along with the Vintage Club, it one of Crates best amps.

6. sws1

sws1 Member

What tubes did you switch to? Also, what speaker? Please elaborate on the tonal change if you could. Thx

7. SFW

SFW Member

+1 :)

8. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

Glad to hear people like it. I love my V32 Palomino. Great sounding amp absolutely stock (I really like the custom Celestion that's in the V32 amp and have no desire to change it out). I really think it competes with a lot of boutique stuff, even though the price is low and the fact that it's a Crate steers people away from it. It dominated every Marshall, Mesa, and Fender in the Guitar Center I purchased it from. I've owned some nice amps in the past like the Hughes & Kettner Triamp and the Bad Cat Hot Cat and I think this one gets the same caliber of tone.

My Fargen is a completely different animal to me, but this Crate served me well while the other was getting work done and it will make a fantastic backup amp.

9. Budman2k

Budman2k Member

I bought a V8 and it's fantastic. If you don't need the added power of the 16 or 32 this will fit the bill. I bought it for a practice/recording amp. It's light, small and has BIG balls!!! What else could you ask for? Oh yeah a great price.:AOK

10. murkat

murkat I like sea otters Silver Supporting Member

+1 :)

remember, the pali's are diff than the black "dealer" V series...

11. Loves_LPs

Loves_LPs Member

How are the Palimino V32's different than the V30's? I heard they were exactly the same (excluding cosmetics)

12. Ganderson

Ganderson Member

I have the Palomino V8 (5w, 10" Celestion)

It is a great sounding amp. Think Vox meets Marshally gain, and plenty of it. It takes pedals well when run cleanish and the Line-out functions as an effects loop when run with a TRS "Y" cable.

I am using it in a worship setting (Drums, keys, bass, 3-4 singers) where stage volume is an issue (my boogie was too much) and micing it to the PA. Plenty of volume, not a LOT of clean headroom but dime the volume and bring the gain up until it's loud enough and some very nice chimey punchy cleans are there. Use it with more gain and it cleans up really well with guitar volume, very dynamic also.

One thing though...

RETUBE THE THING, IT MAKES A BIG DIFFERENCE.

I recommend JJ's (as did Doug, Bob @ Eurotubes, and The Tube Store).

They really work in this amp and it's cheap.

13. Ganderson

Ganderson Member

I know you weren't asking me but...

I have the palomino V8 and with the stock GT's (rebadged Sovteks, yuck), the amp sounded OK but if I had to describe what I didn't like I would use the terms harsh, brittle, thin and sterile. The cleans just sounded flat and the gain was unusable past noon.

I upgraded to JJ's (one ECC83S graded to 115+, 1 EL84) for about 15 bucks and it warmed the amp up while enhancing it's chimey character. The gain is usable most of the way up now and the breakup is much smoother. Cleans are really nice now and oddly enough the "tone" control seems to have more dynamic range. Oh, and the amp is a bit louder now.

Hope that helps.

14. Loves_LPs

Loves_LPs Member

I heard that the Black V models are the original, and that the Palominos are exactly the same, except for the Tolex, and were made for GC. Anyone else heard the same?

15. Ganderson

Ganderson Member

Not sure about the larger models, but the 5w Palomino also has 10" Celestion vs. the non-palomino's 8" Crate speaker.

16. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

I had looked this up before I purchased mine and from what I've gathered, they slightly revoiced the overdrive and threw in a custom Celestion speaker (no more having to change it out for a Mojotone)

17. nsriley

nsriley Member

Thanks for all the great info folks. I might just pull the trigger today on a Palomino V8 from MF. I've got the cash and don't want to spend a lot, but would like a nice little amp to keep in our living room, that at least the wife might like the look of too! LOL!

-Peace
    -Nate

18. Ganderson

Ganderson Member

Good choice!

Now, play it for a bit to get familiar with what it sounds like... then retube it with some JJ's.

:AOK

19. nsriley

nsriley Member

Thanks. I pulled the trigger befor elunch on MF and asked for overnight shipping. Should have it tomorrow afternoon. Yup I plan on playing it stock for a while and then retube it with JJ's. :dude Should be a fun little amp!

-Peace
    -Nate

20. Crunchyriff

Crunchyriff Member

I bought a V32 two weeks ago.

The V32 Palomino ships with a Celestion Seventy/80 speaker with a 'Palomino' decal slapped on it. I have confirmed this. That being said, I find the stock speaker "utility" at best- and I don't personally care for it, as it reminds me too much of the Celestion G12-75's sound. ( I can't stand those speakers)

I replaced mine with a G12H30...what a difference. Not sure this is in fact the right choice yet, as I still need a few more hrs of break-in time with it.
    I might need something a bit darker (as the V32 can be a bit peaky in the highs even with the treble at "zero"); & if need be I will go the route Micter did with his V32.

I pulled the stock preamp glass, and installed a Mullard in V1, a Amperex in V2, and a smooth longplate Telefunken in the V3 position. Boy did that wake the amp up!

My stock GT El84's are making all sortsa nasty rattling (I hate GT tubes anyway..) thru the amp after the amp gets nice and warm, so tonight I'm installing a quad of Ei Elites. Will give an update as things progress.

All in all, a killer amp for the $$$ & way better sounding to my ears than my Traynor YCV80Q.