Crate Palomino V32

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by wutnot, May 13, 2005.

1. wutnot

wutnot Supporting Member

Hello all... I am brand new to this forum and just want to say, that I enjoy reading all of your posts. Most I find very informative, plus I like to hear people opinions.
    I own an American Fender Strat Deluxe Plus. I was previously playing out of a SS Fender Princeton Chorus. (any over drive sounds better, but the clean was very good IMO)
    I just bought a Crate Palomino V32, $549. It sounds great. It was between the Fender Hot Rod Deville and the V32. Although the Fenders clean may have be a bit better cause of the awesome reverb fender's possess, I thought the V32's was at the same level and sounded unique. The over drive in the V32 is what sold me. I found the Devilles OD to be borderline BAD and I would have lived with a pedal, but if I dont have to, why should I.
    I have not heard lots of amps to be fair comparing OD's, but I thought the V32 sounded like a Marshalls. I bet the JCM 800 and 2000's blow it out of the water, but for what I like I thought the V32 was perfect.
    Being a Class A amp this thing runs a bit hot, prob cause of the idle levels they have. I am hoping the heat doesnt wind up making shorter life out of the tubes which are auto biased.
    The clean and OD share EQ's, but I have found for my settings, that switching didnt need re-adjusting of EQ's. I am used to a dial for presence, this has a button which is ok cause it doesnt get too glassy. The boost function is cool too, just seem to make things louder. Manual says, BOOST-increases output by 10db at 900hz to add more middle punch. PRESENCE- increases output level of high freq of 8db at 10kHz.
    It is very sturdy and well constructed. I like the beige look with gold trim, also the wicker look front is cool. LIght weight at 44LB. One 12" speaker Celestion, and it has groove tubes in it.((4) 12AX7A and (2) EL84).
    Overall I am real happy with this purchase. I find the tone amazing and am estatic that I found a great clean and OD in one amp. Sorry for the long post, thanks for the time reading.

2. EdMan57

EdMan57 Member

Hey wutnot,welcome aboard!Yes,I agree that the V-Series 30 watt cathode-biased amp sounds and feels really good.I have had my V-Series V30H [the head version of your amp] for only a short time now and I love it.My V30H sounds especially sweet through my Celestion Classic Lead 80 loaded 2-12 Carvin cabinet.I believe that if the V-Series stuff were put out by Marshall or Fender that there would be a major buzz about the line.For what it's worth,I also own [and love] tube amps made by Mesa/Boogie [MKIIC+],Sundown [A-50] and Bedrock [1600 and 600 combo].In my humble opinion,the V30 more than holds it's own with those other quality amplifiers.
    Ed

3. Teleman

Teleman Supporting Member

I was with a friend of mine last month and we stopped into a GC to get some strings. There was a nice LP on the wall and he took it down to try. He ended up plugging into a Crate Palmino V32. Then he played a strat through it, and a tele, and a PRS.
    He then bought the amp on the spot which for him is out of character as he over analyzes every purdhase he make.
    A the checkoput he kept saying "I can't believe I'm buying a crate."

Anyway, it has replaced his Mesa Lonestar as his main gigging amp to the point where he has the Mesa up for sale. Even the Marshalls he owns have not been out on a gig since he bought it.
    To make a long story short it is a good sounding amp that surely falls into the good "Bang for the Buck" category.

4. joek86

joek86 Supporting Member

I just picked one up this week too! So far I am really surprised and impressed by this amp! I am wondering how the tone would differ with the optional Tone Tubby speaker that Crate puts in? Anyone with TT experience in a EL84 amp please chime in!

Joe

5. wutnot

wutnot Supporting Member

Thanks for response to my first post. EdMan57 when you say, "cathode-biased amp " does that mean Class A?
    Teleman I cant believe I bought a crate either, but I couldnt deny what my ears heard. Funny, but I am glad it doesnt say Crate on the thing in large label lol.
    Thing is I bought a floor model cause it was the only one left and now I am hearing buzzing from what sounds like the amp. It only happens when I play a G note, so it leads me to believe that the amp was beat on a little and the tubes are going. Any G frequency is causing it, or bending up to it etc. I contacted the Guitar Center people and they are going to get ma one shipped to their location so I can swap it out with a brand new out of the box one.
    Do you guys have an opinion about how hot this things runs, or is it ok? Should I get a fan to point down at it?
    Amazing tone I'll say it again.
    I just got back from a local music shop by me and played the Mexican made Hot Rod Deville again and after playing the V32 for the last three days, wow, the HRD sounds bad almost. I still like the cleans but the overdrive really is not for me. And to me the cleans on the V32 actually surpass what I hear from the HRD.
    Thanks for all responding and, if it sounds good to u go for it, that is what I am finding out....:dude

6. joek86

joek86 Supporting Member

WUTNOT,

I agree about the sound, it's awesome! I had a friend over this afternoon with a Marshall Handwired 1974X. The V30 held it's own tone wise and actually had more gain capability.

I am concerned about the heat as well, and I am thinking about a fan from Radio Shack..........

JK

7. wutnot

wutnot Supporting Member

That sounds impressive Joe!!
    Any suggestions for anyone regarding the stock tubes?
    the Groove Tubes sound good to me, but maybe there are better alternatives.
    Now if I can somehow afford a Custom Shop 69 Fender relic or NOS lol. I played a custom 69 relic today and it rocked tone and playability wise...
    I asked about the heat, cause maybe it is fine and the beast can handle it, I just dont know.
    Oh Edman57 the combo has an output to attach this thing to a speaker cab too...cool, lol that may be a standard feature.

8. BozoTone

BozoTone Member

Love my Palomino V8...fun little Class A , 5 watt amp with one 10". I am presently trying old glass in both the pre and power positions (at this point, a RCA "gray plate" AX7 and a Mullard EL84/6QB5) and will continue till I find the right combination. I have tried it thru various speakers and found it doesn't sound much different than thru the stock 10"...maybe this little 10" ain't so bad.....

9. EdMan57

EdMan57 Member

Wutnot,true Class-A is a single-ended design that is a single tube or dual single tube linked [like the THD Bi-valve] running full-out,unlike true Class-A/B designs.Even though cathode-biased designs tend to have some common tonal and playing feel characteristics as do Class-A amps,they are in actuality not true Class-A.The Aiken website has an excellent overview on this very subject.

As for the heat,I run a small fan pointed at the back of the head.I'm also seriously considering some NOS tubes in the near future.Probably a matched quartet of NOS Tesla EL84's from Mike at KCA NOS Tubes.I might go with a combo of NOS GE "short-plate" [my favorite American NOS tube] and NOS RFT 12AX7's in the pre-amp.

Ed

10. wutnot

wutnot Supporting Member

Edman57, wow you know a lot about tube amps and electronics. This is my first tube amp so I am still learning. I probably wouldnt be able to hear the different between the V32 and a true Class A.
    But I think I do hear the difference between Class A and Class A/B. It seemed with the Hot Rod line that it can take a while for the warmth to kick in, even if it has been played for a while you still either have to crank it or play a bit harder to get the tone.
    But I could be wrong.
    As for tubes the V32 has 12AX7's in them for pre amp, states that it will produce more distorted tone over the 12AT7 and 12AU&, which supposedly are cleaner and brighter, I dont think I need that.
    The Power tubes being EL84, Can I put in EL34, 6L6 or KT88's in this thing as replacing the EL84's? What sound differences might I expect?
    My question really is what characteristics are these other power tubes associated with. I dont think I want to change from the EL84's cause I like the sound of the distortion, but you are saying that I can get different kinds of EL84's like new old stock ones?
    Like what might JJ"s sounds like in comparision to the Groove Tube ones etc.?

11. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Well, this has piqued my curiosity. Interestingly, Crate doesn't seem to have anything up on their website about the Palomino. ??? For instance, is there a loop? (I like to put dly and chorus in a loop).

jon

12. wutnot

wutnot Supporting Member

There is a line in and out on the back. This amp is special sale for Guitar Center's. I think it is pretty much the same amp as the V3112, which is a black tolex look rather than the beige one with gold trim I have. I believe it to be relatively the same amp. But I am not sure, the V3112 I think has been out for a year maybe two, not sure. I read some where the V32 has slight improvements, better speaker although both have the same specs and possibly a tube reverb if that makes any sense. The swtiches and knobs are the same, but have heard of wiring differences, anyone know of this? I sent email to Crate Customer Support but probably wont hear back from them until Monday.

13. bluesdoc

Thanks wutnot.

jon

14. wutnot

wutnot Supporting Member

No problem bluesdoc, if you hear anything, would you let me know?

15. bluesdoc

16. wutnot

wutnot Supporting Member

LOl my name is Dave, seems like everyone signs their real name after their post.

Dave

17. bluesdoc

Some do, some don't. I prefer keeping it as real as possible, Dave.

jon

18. bluesdoc

19. wutnot

wutnot Supporting Member

I like the way the beige with gold trim looks so I am cool, but have heard of speaker upgrade and wiring differences, but dont know. Since I read that older V3112 have been serviced in the past for the heat problem, I am hoping in the newer model they may have modified something....shrug, but I bet they are the same. I also read a post on some site stating that he compared the V3112 and the V32 Palomino head to head, and said he did hear differences gain and reverb level differences. But I dont know that for fact unless I hear it for myself, dont know on how reliable that source are.
    Comparing the technical specs from my V32 Palomino manual and the V3112 that are identical.

20. dlxtele

dlxtele Supporting Member

Palomino's have metal shaft pots not plastic and cosmetic differences. I have heard mention of a better speaker, but that has not been confirmed.

The V series now has an optional upgrade to Tone Tubby speakers for a $100 charge. Some V's use Celestion speakers now and I believe they are the 70/80 series as used by Traynor.

Brent