Crate Palomino with...Pre Rolas!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by telewacker, Feb 9, 2008.

1. telewacker

telewacker Supporting Member

I bought a Crate V32 2x12 Palomino after watching a YouTube clip, on sale at GC for $365. I figured I could take it back if I didn't like it. It sounded pretty damn good right out of the box, but I had just scored an unbelievable deal on two MINT 20 watt G12S speakers, '72, with the 002 3 pulsonic cones for $135(!!!!!!) on eBay. These looked they had been in the box for 35 years, and since I liked the Crate already I figured what the heck and bolted them in. Holy crap what a tone! They are smooth, detailed, with an airy top end and no harshness or frequency bumps....a perfect compliment to the amp. Both the cleans and heavy gain tones are stellar. I put a Sylvania and RFT in V1, V2. I have a quad of Sylvania EL84s on the way, but even with the stock Sovteks it sounds glorious. It'll only be better with the NOS power tubes.

2. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

The Palamino is a great amp with a couple of tweaks. Regardless of the first posters remark, I personally have no problem doing what you did to any amp in the pursuit of good tone. There are so many snobs here it's crazy.

A while back, I put up a post about the V18 2x12 combo from Crate with the intention of doing something very simular to what you did to your V32 and was pretty much shot down. You got a great deal on the speakers, why not put them to good use.

Congrats on getting good tone inexpensively and utilizing your resources. Just goes to show that you don't have to spend a ton of money on a amp that makes you happy........:BEER

3. rockon1

rockon1 Member

+1 Going on two years owning my V32 and still loving it! Best amp for the money out there IMO. Only gets better with a few upgrades. Put OS 6Bq5's,OS pre's and a Tonespotter in mine. I'dhave no qualms about putting a Celestion Gold(or other expensive speaker) in it if I thought it needed it. :) Bob

4. telewacker

I get a kick out of getting great tone for cheap, but all I really care about is great tone, period. I have some expensive amps and old vintage Marshall cabs that sound awesome, but this amp definitely holds its own. (I've had my share of vintage Fender amps too throughout the years, including a '59 Tweed Bassman). If somebody can only "hear with their eyes" that's not my problem.

I played a gig with a really good bluesman form Baton Rouge, now in the Bay area, named Kenny Neal the other night. He was playing one of the greasiest worn out Teles you've ever seen...a '57 with a neck that looked like a rotten banana. It sounded tremendous, and he was playing through a Crate V amp. I mentioned how I just got one that day and was really impressed with it (this was before I put the Pre Rolas in it), and he said he had a boutique amp made for him, the maker shall remain nameless, but he likes the Crate better.

5. Mitch T

Mitch T Member

I scored a pair of S20's too once, but they were terrible. Too little bass, too early breakup, too little volume... maybe they were close to being worn out.

6. scott1568

scott1568 Member

I just got mine recently as well. What a sound for the money. I put one of the warehouse greenbacks in there. Sounds fuller than stock.

I also e-mailed Mojo about a tranny upgrade. I specifically asked to retain the Vox/Marshall vibe to it. He sent me this link:

http://www.mojomusicalsupply.com/item.asp?pid=17722&pg=45008&id=7021810

I might have to give that a try. Really what I want in there is a Celestion Gold. Even with that, I'm at about $650 spent on this thing in total.

7. telewacker

Maybe so. If you want a punchy speaker with a lot of low end these are not for you. In this amp they are perfect though. Balanced top to bottom and sweet and articulate. The overdrive tone is as smooth and creamy as you can imagine, and the cleans are sparkly....almost acoustic sounding with a Strat.