Crate Power Block

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Red Planet, Sep 30, 2006.

1. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Rastaman Picked me up one of these the other day. Since I ve been out of town I havent played much but let me say this thing Freakin Rocks!

Got a chance to fire it up this morning and I was quite suprised. Plugged it inot a 2X12 Large Bogner Cab 8 ohm and used my Les Paul through it. Very impressive sound Clean and Cranked. It was way louder than I expected after Rastaman told his experiences. This little dude is Loud! Plenty for almost any Gig I'll ever do.

My hole Idea was to use it for a Backup but it sounds so good one could use for a Main Amp. No its not quite as Organic as a good ol Tube Amp but seems to react weel to my Playing.

What 1x12 Cab are you guys using with these? It would be the Perfect with a small 1x12 Cab that put out plenty of projection. Closed Back/ Open Back?

2. Intelligentpony

Intelligentpony Member

Hate to say it but I also think they sound great. GC is having a blowout sale for $99 this weekend. Anyone that gigs should really consider one as a back up gig saver.

3. rockindillo

rockindillo Member

I bought mine as a spare/backup guitar/bass/pa amp and it lives under the driver's seat in my car for emergencies.

I have used it a couple of times as a guitar amp, with an open-back 2x12 cab (a WolfTone protoype loaded with welll broken-in Celestion V30s) and also as a bass amp, with an SVT-style cab or a 4x10 and in both roles it sounds great.

I'm amazed how good this amp is for guitar - it actually sounds better than some tube amps I've used!

4. Big Al Z

Big Al Z Supporting Member

The snow of Cleveland Ohio and sun of Daytona Bch
    Got one for $100 too. It's a power amp for my home pa (OK sound), it's backup for at gigs (not bad thru a Z-best 2x12 cab) and I can use it straight into the board if needed (clean sound ok).

Close to being the best $100 I've spent in a while - playing second to the $75 for the Epi Valve Junior.

5. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

At $100, it's a no-brainer. I was playing my PowerBlock all afternoon through a 2x12 to practice for an upcoming gig. After three songs I forgot it was solid-state and that I was supposed to hate it.

The freakish thing is how good it feels, cranked. I can't esplain ya - you have to play it.

I understand MF is back ordered. The Dallas GC at Central Expy/Southwestern still has a pile of these on the sales floor at $99.

=K

6. rastaman

rastaman Member

I'm glad you like it! I'm going to have to try it w/ my 4/12, Heritage etc. etc. I figure since the Heritage isn't broke in yet it's going to be too bright.

7. dbx

dbx Member

Have you figured out the 4 ohm mono connection? I'm thinking it would have to be just hooked up to one of the 4 ohm stereo channels with the mono bridge switch out...I typically play through 8 ohm cabs but occasionally a 4 ohm...

:confused:

8. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

I definately like it. As for the 4 ohm load deal. Its my understanding you cant run it Mono Bridged with a a 4 ohm load.

9. rastaman

rastaman Member

I don't see an option for a 4ohm out mono.

Have you tried the late night headphone jack?? It's freaking LOUD!!:dude

10. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

No I havent tried the HeadPhone out yet. Though I do have a nice pair of Senheisers so I'll have to try it.

11. dbx

dbx Member

Yeah...I couldn't find any info about the 4 ohm mono bridged connection...gonna try one side of the stereo 4 ohm setting...

12. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Be careful. I dont know what it does when you only use one jack and have the amp in Stereo. Does the other jack have to have a load on it or does that matter in a solid state amp?

13. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Got one from MF last week. Tried it with pedals and when played clean it seemed to have a slight raspy, digital-sounding distortion that didn't change with gain levels.

I'll have to wait til my Buzz Bomb comes home next wkd to see if the PB holds its own against my GK ML250 as a stereo POD power amp.

Let's just say that I'm holding on to the shipping boxes...

14. landru64

landru64 Member

i just got one. i'm impressed.

i'm constantly amazed how good solid state gear can sound these days (which obviously includes my pritchard). i have a carvin SX-100 (thought SX stood for SuX...) that i got for $40 used and use it every week on a jazz gig. sounds good with pedals. great built in FX.

what has the world come to when i use a $40 amp (or a $99 amp) and the multi kilobuck amps stay at home....

15. tga-3

tga-3 Supporting Member

I tried one a few months ago, had the same experience, and returned it within a week. I didn't like it at all, tried it with headphones, into a cab, with pedals in front, with a preamp, etc. Just had a very digital/artificial character to it.....in all applications. Sorry, I really wanted it to be a valid back-up unit, but I couldn't hear it at all.
    FWIW,
    Rick

16. dbx

dbx Member

Good point, thanks...might be worth an email to their customer support...

17. yZe

yZe Senior Member

Tampa, on the Territory of Florida (D.C. Free Zone
    Word on the street is that Sonny Landreth is using this for a wet rig

If you have a real amp and if such amp has a line out, just use it for your effects through a speaker

18. axelicker

axelicker Member

I'm with tga-3 on this one.

19. badtoneno

badtoneno Supporting Member

I think it is a no-brainer also. Most people aren't going to use it as their No.1 amp, and thats really what it is for- a cheap, portable back-up. Add the fact that you can use it for a poweramp if one of your PA amps goes bad and you can practice with CDs, and it makes a lot of sense.

I think the highs can get a little raspy but other than that, I've played a lot worse.:RoCkIn

20. Lance Romance

Lance Romance Member

The tone sucks on the powerblock...way to harsh, and fizzy, but thinking about it as a possible "life saver" backup amp during a gig would make it worthwhile. Your tone would suck for an entire gig, but ast least it gets you thru the night and you didnt have to carry an entire extra amp.