Crate power block

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bigredstrat, Jan 18, 2008.

1. bigredstrat

bigredstrat Member

I saw one of these the other day and I remembered that not long ago this was the hot topic on the fourm. Just wondering how many people are still using thiers??

2. 8Painting

8Painting Member

I think a lot of people are using it as a backup.

I havent heard anything bad about them once.

3. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

I always have one in the truck for emergencies.....and to be honest, it makes me a little ill that a $99 head sounds as good as it does for guitar.....plus it will run a monitor or even an FOH top in a pinch.

Great little invention!

4. RockStarNick

RockStarNick Supporting Member

I always carry mine in my car as a backup head for gigs. It's my "worst case scenario" backup.

I also use it 2x a week in my practice space to drive a 2x15 bass cabinet, for my bass player. Works like a charm, never had any problems.

Great bang for the buck.

5. Lava Lamp

Lava Lamp Member

I love mine - I use it both as a backup and as a primary amp. It sounds better than a lot of tube amps I've had, especially thru the Celestion-loaded 112 cabinets that you could buy with it.

6. pete kanaras

pete kanaras Member

i consider it a life saver. i like it best when i can just use the power amp; i have an added premp out on my deluxe reverb and have dozens of gigs configured that way. i think it's a brilliant idea, i really do

i know a guy here that uses one as his main rig, using an older marshall slant 2-12 cab and a stephenson stage hog as his preamp. he sets up the powerblock like i do; as a clean platform for his pedals. and man with a prs or a strat you simply would not BELIEVE the tone this guy gets....

7. bobbymack

bobbymack Supporting Member

Keep one in the gig roller as backup, everytime it's been called on it has risen to the occasion! Great invention, every band should keep one handy...

8. Big Al Z

Big Al Z Member

+1 ! ! ! Best investment for $99 in 2007. I don't even see it unless we play out but it's nice knowing it's there. It's good insurance. I even used it to go direct for recording.

9. hasserl

hasserl Member

I carry one as a backup also. HAven't had to use it yet, but it's there just in case.

10. frankthomson

frankthomson Member

bingo!

tone? a little too shrill for my tastes, but for a backup, great.

11. mmcquain

mmcquain Member

I've used mine to drive floor monitors (112 with horn) and as a backup... great devices but too bad they just never sold well enough at the time and were discontinued. I think they're selling for more than the original $99 new price right now on eBay.

12. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

One lives (lived?) in the equipment bin (cables, etc) at all times. Bassist used it for practice when his amp was acting up. Worked like a charm.

jb

13. Lennox Lewis

Lennox Lewis Member

One of my favorite purchases last year. I take it with me to every show as a backup just in case. It sounds suprisingly good when i've played through it, but haven't needed it yet for any emergencies.

14. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Good backup amp, great idea, bad reliability (1/2 of the ones I've owned or seen have needed repair-there's a reason they stopped building them).

15. bailnout

bailnout Member

It's my main amp at the house. I've found that they want to see a high wattage cabinet to sound their best. It sounds astoundingly good through a 300 watt 4x12 cab ...especially for the $67 I paid for mine as an out-of-box item at GC.

Definitely a backup but can really hang with some of the other amps we have at the shop...JCM800, Mesa Duel Rec. Tremoverb, VHT Pitbull UL, Bogner Ecstasy. Make no mistake, it would never replace any of those but if your main amp goes down, that little PowerBlock will get you through until you get your amp fixed or replaced.

Another great little backup is the Orange Tiny Terror. But it doesn't have the versatility outside of being a guitar amp that the PowerBlock can do.

16. reachjkh

reachjkh Member

[​IMG]

It needs the Valvulator to sound it's best.

17. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

I got 2 of them!

They work very well as little portable power amps for wet/dry or Stereo mixes.

And of couse, a killer backup!

Would love to see them back in production...I heard that there was a "new" one coming out?

18. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

I was using an old 1973 Marshall and a 1981 Mesa Mark IIB back and forth as my gigging amps in 2005 - 2006. The Crate Powerblock gave me a lot of peace of mind to know I always had it handy.

For larger out of town gigs it always sits in my accessory bag as insurance. This thing sounded REALLY GOOD thru my Mesa Recto 2x12.

19. Slaphappy

Slaphappy Member

I use it as a back up............sounds good with a OD pedal.

20. billy11

billy11 Member

Hi bigredstrat,

I too, keep one around for backup; it provides cheap and reliable insurance if other amps go bad. They are a hard-to-beat value.

Billy11