Crate Stealth 50watt tube head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by GrecoVee, Oct 11, 2008.

1. GrecoVee

GrecoVee Member

Hey Guys,
    Any one own one of these? What do you think of them?
    It's all tube, 50 watts with 6V6 power tubes (which seems a little strange for a large tube head) and 12AX7's, two ch., reverb and FX loop. The only thing I don't like about it is that it does not have a standby switch (this too seems odd), just an on/off switch.
    I just bought this off Craig's List for $100.
    I think it's a great sounding head. Been running it thru an older`80's Carvin 4x12 cab that was loaded with original Celestion 25's that I bought also recently for $225.
    It's one of the best sounding half stacks I've ever owned for a total cost of $325.!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2008
  2. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Its a great (if not fugly) amp that while cheaply built sounds killer! Designed by Lee Jackson these amps ooze 80's metal tones. Every time I crank mine up(I own two of them) I start cranking out 80's metal tunes! Somewhat single minded I can coax other tones out of them. Its got very nice clean tones too! 100$ is a steal IMO. Thats the price of a sub par(around these parts) footpedal!
    Heres a clip of a stones tune I did with mine. Enjoy your new amp! B

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=84721&content=songinfo&songID=5656703

3. guitarsnguns04

guitarsnguns04 Member

I had 2 of them over the years as well. I could nail some George Lynch tones with that thing. I think if thats the sound you like you wont find it any better especially in that price range.I think they are overlooked.

4. brett s

brett s Member

I've got the combo version, great 80's metal tones as well as cleans. You got a a steal at $100 :)

5. GrecoVee

GrecoVee Member

Yeah, it will do the`80's Metal stuff to a tee!
    One other thing I forgot to mention is that it has a foot switchable mode on the gain channel to go to two different pre-gain settings(two separate knobs). It's not a switchable master volume like most amps would have, but the gain itself can be set different, almost like giving it another channel. Very cool feature! and it came with the original footswitch too!

6. PlinytheWelder

PlinytheWelder Member

I picked up one of these on Ebay for around $200 and yes it really does the '80s metal thing great. Decent clean, too.

I have Tung-Sol reissue 12AX7's in V1 and V2 and a NOS Ge 6201 (12AT7) in
    the PI. I think it sounds a lot creamier with the 6201. I also have JJ 6V6's in,
    biased at 24mA and I'm really loving the tone I'm getting out of this beast.

I also have an OT from an Orange Rockerverb 50 that's twice the size and probably 4 times the weight of the original that I want to try.

All in all, I'm having a lot of fun with this amp for very little cash!

7. Ascension

Ascension Member

I have owned several of those and yep they do the 80's metal stuff well. Smoking amps for the $!!

8. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Just playing thru mine. This amp has no right to sound as good as it does! If I could find a boutique amp that was voiced like it I'd buy it. Not only is the dirty channel dripping with nasty metal vibe(what I bought it for) but I discovered its one of the few amps I own that actually compells me to play the clean channel. (yeah I play high gain too much) I like the cleans on it better than the rest of my amps and that list includes a Rivera Chubster and Fender Supersonic. Go figure. I wish I could describe it but its very pleasing sounding. Warm,bell like ,clear yet not harsh or trebly-round.... What a wonderful sounding amp even though its made up of a bunch of cheap parts. :) Bob

9. mvd18969

mvd18969 Member

You would be hard pressed to find ANY amp that does the 80s metal tone like this amp does.... I own the head and combo version, both are absolute screamers. $100 is an absolute steal! I've seen them on ebay in the $250-$400 range so you really got a deal. This amp is one of the best kept secrets out there. Enjoy it!! Plug in and start playing the opening riff to Ratt's "Lay it Down" and watch the look on everyone's face! especially the Marshall guys!

10. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Me too!;)

11. mvd18969

mvd18969 Member

12. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Yep, thats it all right! Geez do you think they could make the head any freakin biigger! lol! i'd like to get another combo so I could rebox it into a compact head. I wont touch the one I have as it truely is the ultimate sleeper combo! Even the guy in the store though it was just another SS Crate combo. pic.... Bob

[​IMG]

13. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Finally got around to changing the value of the bias resistor in the amp pictured above so I could get the bias into range. Its been snoozing along at 12ma's or roughly 40% idle dissapation. By adding a 220K in parallel with the 47.5 k resistor I was able to bring it up to 60% . I probably could have used a 150K but I hit my target with the pot maxed so I left it. Wow even nicer than before! It really fattened up the distortion nicely when its turned up a bit. Retentioned the sockets and cleaned the pots. Then I rolled some pre tubes to taste. Interesting how much this amp reacts to pre amp tube changes considering the amount of junk in the signal path. If any of you guys havent biased this amp up-do so! It makes a nasty machine nastier! Bob

14. blastastick

blastastick Senior Member

The Ampeg VL series was good too. The Bias mod works well. Lee Jackson will do a mod for you with a tube based effects loop that can be used as a great boost and extra stage of gain.

15. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

I'd have bought it for that. THose weren't bad at all.

16. PlinytheWelder

PlinytheWelder Member

The Stealth even compares well with my Laney AOR Series 2 that I purchased later. Better clean and a different type of grind. I usually just prefer the dirt of the one I'm plugged into at the time.

17. Charmless

Charmless Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Danville, CA. Always looking for Carlsbro amps!
    Just scored one of these for 130 bucks. Can’t wait to get it home and crank it up!

18. handyman11

handyman11 Silver Supporting Member

I had 3 ove 3-4 years .. ...nice amps but kept breaking on me