• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Crate Stealth advice - settings and fooswitch

handyman11

Gold Supporting Member
Hello ...just picked up a 50 watt Crate Stealth head , and should arrive in a few days .... was wondering what to expect , as I never played one ....also , I guess I need to have a footswitch to take advantage of the extra gain on channel 2 ....

Anyone know if there is a compatible footswitch out there for the Stealth ?

Any other advice on the amp would be greatly appreciated ...looking to A/B with a Laney Pro Tube 30 , and stick with one ....

Thanks ...

mvd18969

Welcome to the club my friend!!! Let's see, what you can expect...... You can expect the most rippin' 80's metal tone you can imagine; pure 80s metal ear candy! I own both the head and combo version of this amp. By far, the most underrated hi-gain amp that you will ever come across. Fire it up and start riffing some Dokken or Ratt and you'll be smiling ear to ear.
Yes, you will need the footswitch to use the 2nd gain channel. Any two button tip ring footswitch should work. The amp also has separate reverb controls for each channel. I like to dial it in a little heavier on the clean channel to make it more lush sounding. Speaking of the clean channel, I thought it would be at best, fair sounding (after all, you're buying one of these for the gain channel). I was floored that the clean channel is actually pretty good! For what it's worth, it totally screams w/ JJ's in the pres and post. The only thing that takes some getting used to is the absence of a standby switch. Other than that, absolute killer amp. Let us know how you like it when you receive it. Ok, I know rockon1 has this amp too, chime on in!!

rockon1

Platinum Supporting Member
+1 to what mvd18969 said. I use an inexpensive Peavey two button switch for mine. I also own both head and combo version. These amps indeed have a great clean channel. Big warm and full sounding. Of coarse the dirty channel is pure 80's metal.
My combo was biased cold with the bias pot fully cranked. It sounded good but really opened up when I got it running hotter! Bob

handyman11

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks for the advice ..cant wait to play the amp ....when you say a 2 button footswitch , does button #1 switch from channel 1 to channel 2 , and Button #2 boost the gain channel ?

rockon1

Thanks for the advice ..cant wait to play the amp ....when you say a 2 button footswitch , does button #1 switch from channel 1 to channel 2 , and Button #2 boost the gain channel ?
One switches from clean to dirty and the other between the two adjustable gains on the dirty channel. Bob

rockon1

mvd18969- Cant remember if I asked but have you checked the bias on yours? Curious if it was just mine or if they are all on the cold side. Bob

I'll just add that I use a Marshall 2 button switch with mine and that it just loves JJ 6V6's due to the high plate voltage. I also have a Tung-Sol RI 12AX7 in V1, Mullard RI in V2 and a NOS Ge 6201/12AT7 in the PI/V3 slot.
Make sure to check out the clean channel, it's surprisingly good.
Great amp!

mvd18969- Cant remember if I asked but have you checked the bias on yours? Curious if it was just mine or if they are all on the cold side. Bob
Mine was way cold, too. I wired in an external bias pot and run my JJ's at around 22mA. Mine came with the original Russian "HotRod" 6V6's and they actually arced inside. If you have those, get rid of them ASAP.

rockon1

Mine was way cold, too. I wired in an external bias pot and run my JJ's at around 22mA. Mine came with the original Russian "HotRod" 6V6's and they actually arced inside. If you have those, get rid of them ASAP.
I bumped up the bias resistor in mine. Could have gone higher but I left mine at 18 ma. Much better than the 11 ma they were rynning at with the bias pot maxed. Bob

mvd18969

Can't quite remember, admittedly, I am not very good at maintenance on amps other than swapping out the tubes. I have a great amp tech that I take all of my stuff to for service. I think I have his service ticket laying around somewhere, I'll have to check what the bias came in at.
(and I also need to learn how to do some of this stuff myself!!!)

mvd18969

Funny, both of mine came with the SLM hot rods as well. The head still sounded surpisingly good w/ the SLMs. No comparison to how it sounds now w/ JJs but they were still breathing and no microphonic noise.

rockon1

did you get the amp yet? let us know how you like it!
+1 We aught to start a Stealth appreciation thread! Of coarse there wouldnt be that many chiming in but the few who do will be die hards. This is definately the one of the most ballsy amps sounding amps out there -regardless of price! To get the goods you need to open it up a bit but I believe Lee had that in mind when he voiced the amp. Bob

mvd18969

I'm in!!! I gotta see if I can borrow my friend's Zoom H2 to record and upload a few clips. Man I tell you, I had a friend over last month and we had a hi-gain amp shootout and the Stealth just amazes me everytime I play it. All to the tune of $250!!! (I paid the same price for the head and the combo that I have)

OliverGuitars

I had one back in 1991, it was also my first half stack. And other than the fact that it wasnt loud enough to hear over our loud hitting drummer, it was pretty cool. I had it run into a full stack for a minute.
But I only had it for 3 months before I saved up and bought a Marshall JCM 900 SLX! I was also 14 years old, and I had a grocery bagging job to get it. I remember the Crate Stealth head was the first real purchase I had ever made on my own. I was really proud of the Stealth, but it just wasnt very loud for a 50 watt head. But I was basically in a Alice in Chains cover band back then, and it had perfect tone for that kind of music.

Shiiit, if I could find another one for $100, I would get it just for nastalgic value. How much did you get yours for if you dont mind me asking?

rockon1

I had one back in 1991, it was also my first half stack. And other than the fact that it wasnt loud enough to hear over our loud hitting drummer, it was pretty cool. I had it run into a full stack for a minute.
But I only had it for 3 months before I saved up and bought a Marshall JCM 900 SLX! I was also 14 years old, and I had a grocery bagging job to get it. I remember the Crate Stealth head was the first real purchase I had ever made on my own. I was really proud of the Stealth, but it just wasnt very loud for a 50 watt head. But I was basically in a Alice in Chains cover band back then, and it had perfect tone for that kind of music.

Shiiit, if I could find another one for $100, I would get it just for nastalgic value. How much did you get yours for if you dont mind me asking?
Probably low bias and inefficient speakers. I recently checked and modded mine to run in the proper range. It was running at below 40% idle dissapation with the bias pot maxed out. After I bumped up the bias resistor I got it up to around 60%. Thru a 100db speaker this sucker is pretty loud. Bob

Trending Topics