Crate Stealth GT50

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Youngmechanic, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Youngmechanic

Youngmechanic Member

Recently acquired a stealth Gt50. I am not knew to tube amps but this amp just rocks!

However lately, channel Two has been lower and fading down in volume. Last night channel 1 decided to knock out after a little while of playing. I ordered new power tubes for her(6v6), but I've read the caps take a beaten too. I pulled the amp out and found 4 caps ( 450v 47uf), 4 caps (450v 100uf) and 2 caps (35v 1000uf). Never replaced caps before but have worked on pc boards at work on occasion. Should I replace all the Caps all 10? or is there a way of testing it and determining which need replacement. Thoughts, advice would be beneficial.

Thank you for reading my post.

2. 8len8

8len8 Member

Just replace the tubes to see if that fixes the problem.

bullet6759 likes this.
  3. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

The amp isn't that old, just replace all the tubes as 8len8 said...including all the 12AX7's

bullet6759 likes this.
  4. Stormin

Stormin Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

The Stealth was my first "modern" tube amp. They were really cool amps.

5. vr6pilot

vr6pilot Member

6. Dr.Picklebottom

Dr.Picklebottom Member

you shouldnt need to replace caps for decades, if ever.

7. GT100

GT100 Member

That's not necessarily true.
    They can go bad in as early as 5 years.
    Not typically but it can happen.

Lloyd

8. Dr.Picklebottom

Dr.Picklebottom Member

right, its the amp equivalent of being struck by lightning. thats my point.

bullet6759 likes this.
  9. ThePitbullofLove

ThePitbullofLove Member

Well, the amp is likely over 20 years old, being Crate's very first tube amp, and I think they started production circa 1991 or 92, so the caps might need to be replaced, but I'd start with just the tubes first.

My Stealth still had the original SLM "Hot Rod" black 6v6's in if when I bought the amp second hand a few years ago. I thought it sounded great. I put some EHX 6v6's in it, just to freshen it up, and it was even better. Highly underrated amps designed by Lee Jackson...does 80's metal all day long, but the surprise is the fantastic clean channel!

HipKitty likes this.
  10. vr6pilot

vr6pilot Member

That whole "does 80s metal" thing is only part of the story. Roll back the preamp knob, not the gain, and you can do so much more.

bullet6759 and Bandersnatch like this.
  11. ThePitbullofLove

ThePitbullofLove Member

Never said it couldn't do more. Played all kinds of rock & classic rock with the Stealth, it's just that instant Ratt/Scorps/Dokken tones jumped out of this puppy. That it could do more than that was quite a pleasant surprise...

12. vr6pilot

vr6pilot Member

Never accused you of saying that...just that so many people over-focus on that particular part of the amp to the point where, someone none the wiser, would think it a one-trick-pony which is simply light years away from the truth.

ThePitbullofLove likes this.
  13. Al Varez

Al Varez Member

Lee Jackson sells a service DVD for these amps. It's pretty basic and short, 15-20 minutes and covers basic service/biasing. He used to have the video clips posted for free on his website and/or youtube but he may have pulled them down to get people to buy the DVD.

14. ThePitbullofLove

ThePitbullofLove Member

I always though the cleans were criminally ignored in the Stealth. They're really nice...even, dare I say, Fender-ish.

vr6pilot likes this.
  15. vr6pilot

vr6pilot Member

Pitbull...what are you running for power tubes?

*edit - just read above: EHX. For the most part a 6V6 is a 6V6 with the JJ's being an exception.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
  16. David Ray

David Ray Member

I had a similar problem with mine. Volume fading at times then totally went out. Ended up being the effects loop. I ran a pedal cord to the send and return and full volume was back!

17. handyman11

handyman11 Silver Supporting Member

I've had 3 stealths .....great amps,but every one seemed to have issues, one of them exactly like you described, and couldn't ever get it to work without the volume gaming in and out ....

18. HipKitty

HipKitty Silver Supporting Member

Great amps, way under the radar for their capabilities. As for issues, they, just like many other mass produced amp of that time suffered from bad jacks...hence the volume issue. Cleaning the jacks, specially the effects loop if unused, is the first stop. Replacement may be needed. Don't "shotgun"approach the preamp tubes. None may need replacing. I know many a Stealth that still have the stock preamp tubes in them and are active in full concert action.