Crate V-18 112 showed up today

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Soundhound, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

Took it home and it's pretty dark and muffled sounding to me. For $150 bucks what the hell, it sounds ok - decent grind in there. Though I usually just like a little bit of grind. But I wouldn't mind having a nice sounding el84 amp in the house. I'm thinking an eq pedal might help.

But before I trade this for a decent pedal or something, I'd like to see if a speaker and or tube swap might open it up some and make it a nice grab n' go.

Anybody have good luck swapping preamp or power amp tubes, speaker swap etc?

thanks!!

2. QRSS

QRSS brutalist

speaker change for sure.
    check out the "doping" :roll

3. daveg777

daveg777 Member

I have a V-18 as well. Agree that is does sound a bit muffled, I changed to NOS 6BQ5's and Sylvania 12AX7 and 5751 in V1. I am going to due speaker swaps this weekend....

Dave

:dude

4. scott58

scott58 Member

^ how'd the tube change work out?

5. vds5000

vds5000 Member

Mine came in today as well. I just got it home actually, but haven't had a chance to try it out. I also received my V212B today as well. Admittedly, they both look quite cheesy.

6. champster

champster Member

I yanked out the speaker and installed a stock Fender speaker I pulled from my blues jr. I also changed out the tubes for JJs and EH preamp tubes. This made the amp sound a bit better but was still too dark for me. I tried my Boss EQ pedal and the amp came alive. The amp was cheap and what I changed out was with stuff I had just sitting here. I'm having a lot of fun with my V18.

7. fisheric

fisheric Member

dont these new crates have that switchable power supply?

thats the only reason i didnt buy one. even though they were stupid cheap. hell, i spent more on a distortion plus last week.

can anyone comment if they sound anything like the palomino series?

i almost bought the crate 12x2 cab. anyone else notice those?
    pretty slick for 150

8. richey88

richey88 Member

+1. Here's mine after a JJECC83 in V1 and EHX 12AT7 in V2 and a Celestion from a Vox AD50VT: http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6881466 Dano fish n chips eq, Bad Monkey

and stock with BM, BBE Sonic Stomp: http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6871800

Fun little amp for a buck and a half IMO. Gonna gig with it tomorrow!

9. vds5000

vds5000 Member

The 212 is actually only $120. I picked mine up yesterday. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but I will later today and let you know.

10. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

were did u get it for $120?

11. Maruuk

Maruuk Member

MF has em for $119. At least they did a few days ago. Reediculess price.

12. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

Anybody else with speaker/tube swap suggestions to open this puppy up some?

13. midnightlaundry

midnightlaundry Member

14. edwinhong

edwinhong Member

15. Leo27

Leo27 Member

A V30 would bring out the mids I'll bet.

16. vds5000

vds5000 Member

Ok, I tried mine out (finally). To be honest, I'm a bit disappointed. The 212 has less bass than the Fender 4x10" Deville that I was using as a cabinet. Plus, it altered the tone of my Top Hat and Bruno amps. It seemed to add some gain, if that makes any sense. Another word of warning - there was plenty of vibration noise/rattling with the amp master on '1' and some palm muting. In this case, you are definately getting what you pay for.

17. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

I fooled with it some more today, it was hopelessly muffled until I put an eq pedal in front (thanks champster!) Was able to get some very decent tones out of it that way. It makes me think there must be some tube and speaker changes that would pull the blanket off of this amp. By itself, the blanket is definitely there. With the eq pedal, it's a very workable amp. With the right tubes and speaker, who knows.

Anybody...anybody...Bueller?????

18. Maruuk

Maruuk Member

Yeah, I can imagine what dogs Crate puts in those things. But you can't even buy an unloaded 2-12 cab anywhere for $119!

So even diming the treble doesn't help, eh? I've got a nice little old MXR graphic EQ that oughta do the trick for me. Roadway's bringing the V18 by Tues.

19. richey88

richey88 Member

12AT7 helps w/ headroom, and the Celestion from my old Vox didn't hurt either!

20. vds5000

vds5000 Member

Oh, I forgot to add that the cab also seems to be adding a lot of treble to the overall sound, so I'd rather not boost the treble on the amp. I guess overall the cab will meet my needs - I just needed something to tide me over until I could raise the funds for a decent cab.