Crate V 3112 question...possibly general amp question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by revjinx, Jun 16, 2008.

1. revjinx

revjinx Member

Alright guys, I picked up a used 3112 on craigslist for $250....a deal you just couldn't pass up. I've read a ton of great things about them, and thought I'd snag it and give it a shot.

The guy told me that it gets this kinda crackle/static sound after it starts warming up. So here's what I've determined. There's the clean channel and the overdrive channel. This sound only occurs on the clean channel. It's not loud, just a low static kinda sound. Even when just sitting there, no guitar going through it, it will do it. So I didn't know if it could be a loose solder connection somewhere, a short in some wires, or what. Just wanted to see if I could get any responses here before I took it in to get looked at. Thanks everyone!

2. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Try replacing the tubes starting with V1 and see if it goes away!

3. revjinx

revjinx Member

I'm gonna sound like I don't know much....but would it really be a tube issue if it's only on one channel?

Any other thoughts, suggestions, ideas?

4. revjinx

revjinx Member

Haven't messed with the tubes yet....but any other help/suggestions out there in the mean time?

5. jay42

jay42 Member

Yes. Swap the first two 12ax7's and see if the noise stays put (it's a component or a solder joint), or follows the tube to the gain channel (it's the tube).

Guys who have worked on these say that if they're really being played, they periodically need someone to go through and touch up the solder joints for the jacks and pots....and anything that looks suspicious.

6. Maruuk

Maruuk Member

I get the exact same sound from my brand new one. The quiet static not affected by volume control. Somebody said it was likely a bad preamp tube but I haven't had time to check it out.

7. revjinx

revjinx Member

Cool, thanks jay42! Will see what I can figure out this evening.