Crate V - Series Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by padavis, Feb 17, 2008.

1. padavis

padavis Supporting Member

Are all Crate V Series amps going to be made in China now? Or will they have really good ones still made here and just have a price difference? I played a V30 the other day and Ive gotta say it was pretty neat and it says it was manufactured here and as sad as it is that means something to me... so is that one to pickup before they are gone?

2. Troser

Troser Member

I've had a few, from the little VC508 on up. For the money, they are pretty tough to beat. Well-made, decent if not good tone, and affordable. Nothing to write home about when you get them beside high-end stuff, but on their own, they hold up. They can sound very good.

3. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Love my US made V32. Not sure but I think all the new ones are made abroad. Might be leftovers still being sold though. Bob

4. scott1568

scott1568 Member

I would grab a US made one, only because of the implied resale value. Some people don't like stuff made overseas.

As far as the sound on these things, they are great right out of the box. However, the speaker in my opinion could be improved, but it's not bad by any means. I got a warehouse greenback clone for mine, and it already had JJ's in the preamp section where it makes a real difference.

I also plan to install a more robust transformer, then maybe one of the new Southbay Alnico Silvers in there (maybe). There's only so much I will put into this amp just on principle. However, even after all that, I will have about $630 into it since I bought it used. I don't think you can buy an AC15 with a Blue for that.

I really would like to take it down to the local guitar shop and put it beside on of the other EL84 amps, you know the ones that go for about $1700.00? I would like to see how it holds up. I bet that I wouldn't be too disappointed, (not about $1000.00 worth of disappointed anyway). I was playing through it this weekend at home and I am just floored at how good it really sounds, especially on the clean channel. Most amps with an overdrive section just don't really do it for me at all, but they did a good job with this one. The boost switch deactivates the tone controls I think, and it sounds really Vox like in my opinion. Long winded I know, but this amp has so many good tones and it does a few tricks really very well.

5. Plague Dog

Plague Dog Member

I played my 98 crate V30 next to my 97 Budda stringmaster. The Crate didn't fair too well in the comparison.

The Vintage 30 was my main amp for about 5 years and I loved it, but after trying some boutique stuff the poor Crate just sits there gathering dust.

6. rockon1

rockon1 Member

I dont believe they made a V series amp in 98? Perhaps a VC ? (vintage club) which while a nice amp isnt as nice as the V series(I own both) . Ive played my V32 along side my Rivera Chubster and Supersonic and it held up well.Bob

7. padavis

padavis Supporting Member

Rockon what do you think of the Rivera? Also, are the cleans there in the V30 compared to the Rivera?

I just bought a Blues Jr. and had the chance to by the V30 and I think I am going to keep the Blues Jr. but I might go get the V30 too... playing these lower wattage amps lately has been the ticket for me. Ive completely went full circle in literally a couple of days.

8. rockon1

rockon1 Member

The Rivera is kind of a thorn in my side. I payed a lot for it,considered selling it and found out I'd lose too much money. Its been a real struggle to dial the amp in. Once I got a handle on it it sounds good but only at loud volumes. At low to moderate volumes it sounds small and boxy. Kind of ironic since it uses Rivera's bigger deep cabinet! Dont get me wrong if you can crank it up it sounds nice. Built like a little tank too.
    The cleans on the V32 are very nice. Open,chimey. Not as veratile as the Rivera's clean but for as much as I use them I dont mind. Nothing Ive boughtin its price range has come close to the V32. Bob

9. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

Check out the Clapton/Crossroads DVD from Austin. Joe Walsh and others use Crate V50's. There's plenty of other amps in the mix (Matchess, Marshall, Fender, Soldano). The V50's hold their own tonewise with any of them, IMO.