Crate V Series

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Bob Collins, Nov 12, 2003.

1. Bob Collins

Bob Collins Member

Man, I'll tell you. Before buying a high end amp, I plugged into a V15... Love at first lick.

This thing growls at low volume and really howls at high.

If you're on a budget, check out this American made series.

Bob Collins

2. Ron M

Ron M Member

I agree. I also like the V-50.

3. data187

data187 Member

i agree also, it is like an even cheaper peavey classic amp.
    lots of tube tone for the dollar...rock on!!!

4. gitarzilla

gitarzilla Member

In the garage, fixing stuff my kids broke
    Definitely. I had to check one out when our local GC was blowing them out at under $400. Great sounding amp for the $$.

5. Old Fuzzface

Old Fuzzface Member

I liked the V-series amps. What put me off them was the price in the UK and the larger models having digital FX built-in. The FX sound OK , but I'd rather have a loop & choose my own poison, thanks.

The price....well, Crate are distributed in the UK by the same company as PRS. I couldn't stomach paying over $1,000 for a $500 amp.

6. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Well don't forget, you pay extra for that boutique Crate name!

:D :p

7. EdMan57

EdMan57 Member

I have a VFX5212 and it does have a [series] fx loop.It is simply labeled as "Line Out" and "Line In".I use the loop in mine and it works quite well.

8. Ogre

Ogre Member

Billy Gibbons was using 2 of 'em on ZZ Tops' last Tonight Show appearance. Talk about "street cred"! Billy and Dusty also worshiped at the altar of Expandoras.

9. AlexT

AlexT Guest

My first tube amp was a Crate VC6212 (the predecessor series) - the sound was ok for the money, but I'm not sure about the construction - it blew the OT after 3 months. I traded it (loosing a lot of money) one year after I bought it.

I would say that resale value is the biggest issue.

Alex

10. dlxtele

dlxtele Supporting Member

I have tried the V1512 and liked its tone and responsiveness. It is a nice size; not too big , not too small and not too heavy. The only feature I did not like was the weak reverb. It needs a standard size reverb spring setup, not the mini format that is used by the factory. I do want to compare it to the Traynor CV20WR, but Traynors are not sold in the local area- go to go to St Louis to see if they have them.

I own the VFX5212 and love it. I compared it to a Fender Super Reverb, Fender Custom Vibrolux, HRD DeVille and to a ProSonic Combo. The 5212 had the best clean tone and the dirty channel was very good and better than the other amps. The digital effects were just a little iceing on the cake and they did not sound bad when the amp was pushed into distortion. This seems to happen with analog reverbI put NOS 12AX7 Mullards and RCAs and a pair of Mullard NOS EL-34's and it did sound more vintage and not as modern as it was with the stock EH and SOVTEK tubes. The clean channel was much better and had a fuller tone, while the dirty channel was good but not as good as before.

If I run my Chandler Tube Overdrive (rackmount) into the clean channel I can get very convincing Marshall Plexi and 800 tones from it. The clean channel reminds me of an AC15 Vox but with more balls and volume. The dirty channel is close to a Marshall 800 tone with the stock tubes still working with and learning the setup for this channel after the tube change.

I did experiment different speakers, Vin 30s and G12H30s and Eminence GB12s and V12s. The GB12 paired with one of the stock speakers (from Eminence) was the best combo. This combo had less buzziness than the Vin 30 and fuller bass and smoother more extended highs frequenciesthan any other pair I tried.

Overall the 5212 is a great amp for the money with a great clean channel and a very good and useable dirty channel. Also it is well constructed with the power tubes mounted to the chassis and not mounted to only a circuit board and good sized transformers are used. Component and circuit board quality are very well done.

Go out and try one. I think you will be impressed. Happy Holidays wished are extended to one and all.

dlxtele:D

11. Bob Collins

Bob Collins Member

You guys are talking about the bigger V series amps.

Mine is the 15 watt model... the little one...V15.

I has no effects except the reverb. BUt the tone at low volume is the killer for me. It sounds like your blasting without blasting.

When my Driskill #71 arrives, it should rock that amp.

MHO,

Bob

12. dlxtele

dlxtele Supporting Member

I went out to get a Traynor CV20WR or a Crate V1512 and I liked both amps a lot. I ended up getting a Fender Vibrolux Reverb, 5 months old, over 4 1/2 years of warranty left and I can Fender clean great tremolo, very good reverb and my Chandler Tube Driver(rack mount and no wall wart) gets it into marshall territory
    at least into a full frontal JCM 800 assault. I traded a Squire M-77 CSB that I have not played for awhile and got the Fender for a $400 difference. I would have spent that amount on the V15 of course no trade-in involved. The Traynor would have cost close to the same as the Fender after trade. The Fender has the footswitch, cover and is in mint condition. I think I done good today.

dlxtele:dude

13. porterburst

porterburst Supporting Member

Has anyone tried the new Crate V3112, 30 watt, 1-12 combo?

14. EdMan57

EdMan57 Member

Yeah,I thought his tone was quite like that of a nice vintage Marshall.Btw,did anyone see Vernon Reid with Living Color on "Last Call" with Carson the other night?He was playing a Hamer through a pair of Crate VFX5212's.Maybe the word has gotten around that the V-Series line is indeed professional grade stuff.
    Ed

15. Scott_F

Scott_F Gold Supporting Member

I tried the V3212 and LOVED it. 4xEL84's. 2 Celestion's.

Too much power for me currently, so I ended up comparing the V15 with the Ampeg J12T. I chose the Ampeg, but they were close. Should be, same company.

:)

16. porterburst

porterburst Supporting Member

Scott_F :

Which amp is the V3212? The V3112 is a 30 watt 1-12 combo I'm interested in. The VEX 5112, is the 1-12, 50watt, with built in effects, and the VEX5212 is the 2-12, 50watt with built in effects.

17. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

is this the class a quad el34 amp? or did they change it?

18. EdMan57

EdMan57 Member

I believe that the new V-Series V3212 has a cathode-biased quad EL84 power section [often refered to as Class A] like the one in the Vintage Club 30.If it sounds anything like the older V30,it should sound real sweet.
    Ed

19. Six Stringer

Six Stringer Guest

I have to agree,
    I got a 1994 vc50310
    I must say it kicks ass
    nice clean channel and great spring reverb
    have to get rid of it cause not gigging out hardly any more and just to damn loud for the apt.! lol
    I had no prob giggin out with it
    not sure why crate seems to get a nose up towards them?

Peace, bob

20. ChrisP

ChrisP Member

Love my VC 20 w/Weber 12" Cali :cool:

I wanted to hate it...it's a crate...

*swoon*