Crate V18 (and other amps) Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by richey88, Sep 23, 2008.

1. richey88

richey88 Member

Maruuk got me thinking (yes, that's what that smell is):

If you were to get 2 RCA to 1/4" adapters and an RCA cable, could you use the reverb knob as a level control for an improvised effect loop? You know, chain effects that sound good in a loop (EQ, delay, etc)? I realize you would lose the reverb (no big loss IMO on the V18).

2. Maruuk

Maruuk Member

Isn't the reverb out just a tap? You'd always have a bunch of clean bypassing it and that would mess with the effects. An effects loop requires 100% of the signal going through the processor so you can mix dry/wet in the EFX processor. With reverb it's okay as you're just adding spring-delayed signal to dry anyways, but for many other EFX it won't work.

3. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

These amps any good? Woodwinds is blowin em out at 149

4. nomadh

nomadh Member

Still trying to decide that myself. I do love my V30 crate. Quite a price if it fills a need for you.

5. rockon1

rockon1 Member

You may be able to use the reverb as an FX loop. I know that depending on the amp reverb pans come in different input and output impedances though. You may run into impedance matching problems with the devices you try to use or worse perhaps damage the reverb circuit. More investigation is required. Bob

6. Maruuk

Maruuk Member

Gotta replace the speaker, then they're good.

7. richey88

richey88 Member

yup. they rock. a speaker and tube swap are almost mandatory....but I have about 200$ in my V18 112......well worth it. find my posts and sound clips...