Crate V30, V3112, Palomino users: pedal question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Badger71, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Badger71

Badger71 Member

I just picked up a V3112 (USA version) a few weeks ago. I was pretty amazed at the tone this little thing has. Mine doesn't have the Tone Tubby speaker...just the generic Celestion Seventy 80 speaker. I may pick up a TT, Cannabis Rex, Tonespotter, or Hellatone 30 as a replacement. However, as much as I like to leave the od channel on slight break up, there are times in my bands that I'll need to go into heavier territory. So here lies my question: What pedals have any of you V series owners/players used that work well with this EL84 based circuit? I'm mostly looking into overdrives, fuzzes, and boosts to push the amp hotter. I don't like raspy fuzzes or trebly overdrives.....I like a thicker tone....think along the lines of the fat od tone Bonamassa gets....I know different gear yadda yadda....

I play a LP Vintage Mahogany (Burstbucker Pros) and an alder Strat w/maple fb loaded into and HSH config...PAF style buckers in the bridge/neck and a hot single coil in the middle.

2. rockon1

rockon1 Member

My inexpensive Seymour Duncan "Pick up Booster" works great. its a straight clean boost and pushes the amp into OD easily when put in front of the amp. Any clean boost will work just fine-no extra dirt needed-at least for me. Even an EQ pedal set flat will work boosted will work. Bob

3. 03hal

03hal Member

The new Digitech TL-2:

http://www.digitech.com/products/HardWire/HW_MetalDistortion.php

I'm using it with my V32H and the matching cab (with an LP standard- BB Pros), and on the clean channel this pedal will definitely bring the chunk. Very "clean" sounding pedal, great EQ options, and supposedly true bypass FWIW.

Alternatively, if you don't need that much gain, boosting the dirty channel has worked well for me using a Wasabi overdrive in clean boost mode- nice and tight, and chunky too, but not quite as much gain as I wanted.

Hal

4. Badger71

Badger71 Member

Thanks for the suggestions...keep'em coming!

5. FastRedPonyCar

FastRedPonyCar Member

Eden analog austin overdrive

http://www.edenanalogeffects.com/Austin.html

Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyWj1-XcX2E

Mine has the tone tubby but my brother has the V32 palomino w/celestion and it does equally amazing things to his amp as well. Though I didn't do it in this video, I typically play with the boost always on and use the clean solo boost on my TC nova system for soloing. The amp's boost really fattens up the sound a lot...though a simple EQ pedal with more mids dialed in can accomplish the same thing..which I've also done with my MXR 10 band eq pedal.

6. codyj84

codyj84 Member

I have the same amp... the black V30... I would reccomend the Diamond Fireburst. It's my main OD and Ive tried many. For that amp, it kills.

7. eyeball987

eyeball987 Member

I am using mine mainly with a Tonelab LE but when I do use it on it's own, my chain goes like this guitar-->MXR Micro Amp-->Dano Surf & Turf comp-->Bad Monkey-->amp.

The MXR is always on and keeps the signal hot. I use the guitar volume knob to clean it up a little more. The BM and comp get kicked on depending on the amount and type of dirt I want. I use the comp as basically another clean boost for solos.

I keep those same pedals in front of the Tonelab when I run into the effects return of the V3112 also.

8. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Before you go crazy with flavored dirt boxes try the clean boost. Bob

9. turbolx5oh

turbolx5oh Member

I've got a home brewed tubescreamer that sounds pretty good. Its a hopped up version of the BYOC kit.

I have a Boss DS-1 for the heavier stuff that sounds really good as well. Clean channel with a lot of gain on the DS-1 or back the gain off a bit on the dirty channel wth the DS-1 for the heavier stuff.

My favorite (and certainly least expensive) pedal is a Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive - CTO-1. With a strat on the clean channel it will give you that "bit of grit" for blues. It sounds awesome. Really nice. I also will turn the gain down on the DS-1 and run it and the Cool Cat for some insane harmonics. Pinch harmonics are really easy.

I originally bought the 1x12 combo and tried a V30 in it and a G12H in it but it was just too thin sounding for me. I ended up putting the chassis in a head case I made and bought an Avatar 2x12 cabinet with V30s in it and that did the trick. I also have a Mesa Theile 1x12 cabinet with an EV12L in it that sounds larger than the Avatar.

I love this amp. It is very underrated in my opinion. I recently bought a V33H (the new version) and was seriously disappointed. It was a very dark and muddy sounding amp. I compared the two schematics and they have nothing in common with a V32H. Its a shame Crate discontinued them.

[​IMG]

10. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

I'll let you know as soon as I can get my VC30 to work again. :cry:

When it did work, I used a DS-1 or OS-2 and it sounded ok, but then again I knew nothing about pedals then.

11. Badger71

Badger71 Member

I've seen your yt vids....the Eden stuff intrigues me. It does seem to get the sound a little heavier which is my goal.

12. Badger71

Badger71 Member

I may try a booster of sorts, but I think that for some of the stuff we play, I'm going to have to add a lot more dirt to the sound than what a clean boost would give.

13. rockon1

rockon1 Member

I can go from light dirt(gain around 11 oclock) to Judas Preist territory with my boost and guitar volume knob. After that,
    yeah ,I guess you would need a distortion pedal. Bob

14. nomadh

nomadh Member

Maybe we should have people say what pedal doesn't sound good with these amps. So far every pedal I've tried sounds good. For push or dirt I've tried the ts7 and the line6 metal somethingorother and they both work well for certain sounds.

15. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Another thought is just to crank the gain to where you need it for heavy stuff and use your volume knob for cleaner stuff and a volume pedal or EQ pedal in the loop for added overall volume control. The amp cleans up pretty nicely with the guitar volume. This works for me up to 80's metal with the V32. Bob

16. Eugene Holley

Eugene Holley Member

I like the OCD from Fulltone. It works well as your first device in chain from your guitar and cleans up real nice with your guitar's volume control. Most players leave it on all the time and adjust via guitar as needed. It's worth going to the Fulltone web site and listen to some of their demos.

17. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

I used a Rat with my Crate 2X12

18. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Im curious what styles you guys that are using od pedals are playing? I like the way the amp sounds by itself and like Ive said it get up to 80's metal territory(IMO). Bob

19. Badger71

Badger71 Member

I'll tell you what doesn't work....my YJM308 pedal. As a solo boost, it works fine. However, I find the boost on the amp itself works better. So I set it up more as a gain pedal than a boost. As a gain "fattening" pedal, not so much....thins out the sound. It made my Les Paul sound thin and brittle.

20. rockon1

rockon1 Member

For solo boosts(ie:volume) the FX loop works best. Typically on any of my 2 channel amps I'll use an EQ in the loop for a solo boost-its literally like adding a faux 3rd channel. For gain boosts always out front. Bob