Crate V3112 vs. Carvin MTS 3212?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by eyeball987, Mar 24, 2008.

1. eyeball987

eyeball987 Member

I recently picked up a V3112 and I like it alot. I have a trade offer to swap for a MTS 3212. What would you do?

2. bluescube

bluescube Supporting Member

keep the Crate. The Carvin is good with a spanky clean but the overdrive channel uses clipping diodes and is more a metalish sound that a marshally sound that the V series has.

3. eyeball987

eyeball987 Member

Thanks. I have been bonding more and more with the Crate. I am not too big of a cork sniffer but something about the name "Crate" has always rubbed me wrong. Probably something to do with growing up in the 80's and playing lots of bad amps in music stores as a kid.

4. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

As much as I like my MTS3212, and it was my first amp I bought since moving to Norway, and I even used it for blues, with the OD channel hairline set to the most minimal OD possible almost...the cleans are great and I still like the amp a lot even though I have others I use more regularly...and even though I have never played a Crate except for my little 5 w solild state practice amp, which other than reverb sounds pretty amazing for what it is...

I still would agree with bluescube as well. Sounds like you found the amp for you for now. I have a feeling you are better off. The MTS usually can be had pretty cheaply (they didn't cost all that much new even) used, so if you really want one...I'd just pick up one and keep the Crate.

5. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

dude, your crate is probably one of the best bang-for-the-buck amps ever made. that amp holds it's own with amps 2-3 times the price. any of the carvins are way down on the list in that price range. if you are looking for a change in the same price range, I would consider the peavey classics, traynors and fenders before the carvins.