1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Crate V32 Questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by UconnJack, Feb 3, 2008.

1. UconnJack

UconnJack Member

Considering one of these to keep at my rehersal space.

Does this amp have a loop or not? I have seen conflicting information.

What is the speaker load required for the head? Does it allow 8 & 16ohm cabinets?

Recommend the head or combo? I'm leaning head but their the same price.

Thanks

2. bluescube

bluescube Supporting Member

I have the V32 combo. There is an effects loop. There is one speaker jack for 8 ohms. To use an external cab, the internal speaker needs to be disconnected.

3. rockon1

rockon1 Member

+1 Thats the deal. I'll add that the amp sounds phenomenal! Bob

4. bluescube

Yup, the od is very marshally

5. UconnJack

UconnJack Member

Can you switch from clean to OD, with the footswitch without EQ-ing? Thanks for the reply's so far.

6. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Well for the OD tones I like it seems to work out well for clean sounds no problem. I will say that there is a momentary delay when switching from dirty to clean. Instant when switching from clean to dirty. Bob

7. bluescube

8. scott1568

scott1568 Member

Is that your video?

9. teleman55

teleman55 Member

+1. That's the deal. Great amp. Heard some stuff about a delay problem with the footswitch...never encountered that problem. Heard about a "buzzing" problem...encountered that. Loosened the reverb tank screws a few turns and it was fixed. Mine was made in USA, the later ones in Viet Nam. Are they different? I don't know. Anyway, it's a great amp. I was gonna say almost like a Vox clean w/a Marshall OD but that doesn't do it justice. It really just sounds like a Crate V32. Someday they'll model these.

10. bluescube

That video is Brian Wampler aka Indyguitarist.

11. UconnJack

UconnJack Member

Pulled the trigger today on the head version. Should be here in a few days, I'll report back!

12. scott1568

scott1568 Member

I just received a V32 combo from a fellow forum member just a few minutes ago. I also got the Greenback clone for it today as well. With all the hype this amp has got, I must admit I was skeptical. I didn't want to be let let down, especially by a lower priced amp...wait no....a CRATE.

Since I plugged in, I still can't believe the sounds this thing is making-really nice. It's unbelievably touch sensitive...and with an OLC English Channel in front of it-Vox all the way.

Now if I can wipe the grin off my face, put my guitar down, and put that Greenback in there...

Thanks to all who have shared their experience with this amp on this forum. No buyer's remorse here!

13. rockon1

rockon1 Member

:AOKGlad you werent let down.Ive been raving about this amp since I got it over a 1 1/2 years ago. Having been playing out lately but for jamming and practices its my go to amp.No offense to Rivera owners but I choose it over my Chubster every time Bob

14. bluescube

Let me know what you think of the greenback. I'm pretty happy with the stock Celestion Seventy 80 though.

15. EdMan57

EdMan57 Member

I've been playing my '94 Washburn Laredo LT-82 "Tele" with my V30H head [thru a Celestion CL80 loaded 2-12 cab] for much of the last three days now and I'm totally loving it's tones and feel.With the gain set between noon to 2 o'clock on the high gain mode,the amp gives up great old school classic rock to modern wailin' blues tones.Anything above 3 o'clock with the gain control takes it solidly into classic hard rock to '80's hair metal territory [with presence engaged].The clean mode gives up sweet pop rock shimmer to classic country spank.I believe that you will really like your new V32.

:dude

Ed

16. bluescube

Do y'all use the presence switch much? I can't decide if it's too bright at times on my tele....It seems to add some graininess to the OD channel and nice sparkle to the clean. I do not use it much.

I tend to give the treble and mid controls a nudge to 1:00 leaving the bass at noon, OD gain about 2-3 o'clock where it gets nice and thick.

I also took the black sticker off the speaker and it is a Celestion 70/80

17. scott1568

scott1568 Member

Greenback sounds richer in the mids to me, but it's brand new and can be harsh too.

No presence necessary-see above. Unfortunately, I live in an apartment and I can't open it up. I need to get it out to an open mike night.

18. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Depends on my mood,guitar and style of music Im playing at the moment. Sometimes I use the presense switch ,sometimes the boost switch,somethings both together. I never use the boost for lead boost -only as a tone shaping option. The amp can deliver a wide range of OD tones with the various combinations. Bob

19. danster

danster Member

I've got the V3112T combo and will agree with all of the above.
    I don't use the presence with my Tele either - but I am very satisfied with this amp. I bought it in Nov. '06 and its definitely a keeper.
    Did a retube with JJ's recently and its quite a bit smoother and responsive.

20. teleman55

teleman55 Member

I like the presence sometimes but not much with my tele. I like using an OD pedal in front of my Fender amps (old non master volume models), even though the pedals are off half the time. But not for this one. It's OD is as nice as it's clean. Have used a fuzz and octavia in front of it though. Like I said before, someday they'll model this amp.