Crate V32

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Solomon, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Solomon

Solomon Member

There must be a catch somewhere. A friend turned me onto this amp so I buy a combo yesterday for less than $400 new. I can't believe how good this thing sounds. Both my strat and tele straight into the amp sound great on both channels.

Are any of you Palomino owners ditching your dirt pedals in favor of just using the overdrive channel on the amp? I can see where someone wanting to play metal would need a little more than what the amp provides but I think for a classic hard rock plexi type tone it is just fine the way it is.

Either way, I can't get over how good this sounds for the money. I am tempted to get a half stack. Are there durability issues with these amps or is it just one of those great values that pop up from time to time?

2. rockon1

rockon1 Member

I never use OD pedals. If an amp doesnt have the distortion I like I dont buy it. Never could understands pedals for more than an added kick to a dirty channel maybe. That said the V32 HAS a great od channel and clean channel. I throw an EQ pedal in the loop of mine and its like having a great sounding 3 channel amp foir next to nothing!

Ive had mine for two years . Only shlepped it to a few practices and gigs but its been without problems. I'd say as dependable as any in this tier of amps-that being amps with PCB mounted sockets and controls.Bob

3. LHanson

LHanson Member

I'm with the OP. I bought one last Thursday, and it is so good, I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. Man, this thing REALLY likes P90s, as well as my McCarty. I don't know if I will quit using my Tubester, but I very well might only use it for a sweet breakup on the clean channel. I wish the BOOST was adjustable, but that's of minor concern. I'm gonna retube it, just to see what happens, but I can't imagine it getting all that much better. I'm about to sell a MB 50 cal + head to assuage my guilt on buying another amp.

4. bluescube

bluescube Supporting Member

I can only see getting a FUZZ pedal for come classic 60's or Mark Farner's Grand Funk fuzz rock.

The V32 has a gain channel that is superb. The old Flextone II couldn't compete.

5. bootsypratt

bootsypratt Member

Is your overdrive level a lot higher than your clean level when getting them at the same sound level? I too just bought this amp last week and love it. I was not pleased with the over drive that much, but I have not played with it that much either, only once at high levels.

6. Standard 64

Standard 64 Member

You dont have too spend a lot of money to get awesome tone.I'm hoping this is the sleeper amp of the decade.I run a fan on my tubes.I also use lots of different pedals in front and in the loop of this amp for variety.I have a U.S.A palomino v32 combo,and also a vietnam palomino head with matching cab I purchased recently with a 5 year warranty!!!!!:) that sounds heavenly.So far no troubles with either.Did I say 5 year warranty.Have fun with your awesome CRATE!!!

7. LHanson

LHanson Member

Man, I am feeling better and better about this. I gotta rehearse this amp, but my drummer is an airline pilot and unavailable in the next month.

8. Maruuk

Maruuk Member

Got a Pal head--the overdrive channel for me is just for the occasional extreme OD effect, more of a special trick in the arsenal than a basic thing. It's pretty nasal and buzzy, but sometimes that can be cool in a recording. I use it on that ".44" Howlin Wolf riff, sounds nice and nasty.

But I'm totally at home for my blues-based sound in just what you can get out of the clean channel and its BOOST function. I just leave it clean on 10, and then kick in BOOST for leads. Both sound stellar. The BOOST is phat and rippin, think Beano Album tear your head off intensity. And musical to boot.

Then you get all the tone toys to play with. The PRESENCE is very effective, and treble and mids are real tone changers that give you different amps with some clever tweaking.

Right now I just leave BASS on zero as my cab is kicking bookoo bottom and I can't use any more.

Reverb is kinda weak--you hear its tail out but you don't hear it during the sustain of the note much. But it's ok. A lot like the Blues Junior reverb--the short tank will do that.

An amazing amp with its own unique and lovable tone.

9. rockon1

rockon1 Member

You guys that dont think the OD channel is that great should take a bit of time and try dialing it in better. Its worth it. Its also way more satisfying to me than a pedal.

Ive got the US V32(dont know if it makes a difference) and that OD channel is far from buzzy or thin. Depending on my speaker choice I dial it in with either the boost on or off. I dont use the boost as a boost. I use an EQ pedal in the loop for that. Get the volume up around 11 oclock or more and then work in the amount of gain and tweak the tone. Try dialing it in both with the boost in and out and presence on and off.

Ive been able to cover light dirt to classic rock to Judas Priest tones with the OD on mine very nicely. Fat roaring type distortion-far from thin. It puts a grin on my face every time! With such a nice dirty channel it seems a waste not to use it. Bob

10. LHanson

LHanson Member

Anybody upgrade the reverb tank?

11. danster

danster Member

Love my V3112T for all the reasons listed above...
    (Can't find the word 'Crate' on this amp anywhere....)

12. bosstone

bosstone Member

I have the same amp. I am going to try some other speakers in it. It is a bit fat on the bottom end. Otherwise, I really like this amp.

13. Solomon

Solomon Member

I am glad you mentioned the fan. I have noticed it runs pretty hot so I definitely need to get a fan.

I still can't believe how good this amp sounds and when I consider what I paid for it I get a huge smile on my face. I was planning to get a P90 guitar but may buy the V32 head and cabinet instead.

14. oldrock

oldrock Member

Nothing to add except I saw the head version on sale for $299 at the local guitar shop this week and was wondering what they were like.

15. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

I've found that my favorite way to run this amp--and I have the V32H head and an Avatar 2x12 cab--is to run the dirty channel clean. My sense is that this is a more "natural" sound than the clean channel. I'll tell you why. For a few months, I owned both a V32 combo and a V16 combo. The V16 was essentially the same amp without the clean channel and the 2 additional tubes. I realized that the "dirty" channel on the V32 was exactly the same as the V16, but the clean channel had some sort of tone shaping circuitry, like a slight treble boost and a mid cut.

In any case, I use dirt pedals to get overdrive tones, because I like "in between" drive sounds, and I don't think the V32 excels in that dept. But man, my Yamaha SA220 (ES 335 clone) in the bridge position absolutely KILLS through a mild dirt pedal into that 2nd channel with the Master cranked and the gain down.

16. Solomon

Solomon Member

Something mild like a Bad Monkey?

I am still fiddling with the amp & settings (the OD sounds so good by itself) but I will try that out.

17. MrMike

MrMike Member

You guys talked me into it. I ordered one tonight.

ENABLERS!!!!:rotflmao

18. BoB/335

BoB/335 Member

Where is it for less than $400 new?

19. Solomon

Solomon Member

GC

They had the head on sale for $299.
    Combo for $389.

20. BoB/335

BoB/335 Member