Crate VC5310 vs Fender Hotrod Deluxe.

cheapgtrs

Gold Supporting Member
Currently I own the VC5310, with someone wanting to trade me a HRD. I have no experence with the HRD. I understand they are completely different animals. Im really just looking for thoughts and opinions. I like the VC5310 but its not my go to. What say you TGP?

wrxplayer

Gold Supporting Member
I have a VC5310 and I think it sounds awesome. Great amp and cheap too. ONLY issue with it is its weight which, as you know, is substantial. I leave mine in my band's rehearsal space and use it for that.

I've never played an HRD but if their values are the same - $300 or so - I doubt it would sound as good as that particular Crate.

Tone Loco

Gold Supporting Member
What do you not like about the crate?
Just curious.

I'd say the cleans are probably more lively on the crate and although the OD is kind of over the top I don't think the HRD's is anything to write home about.

cheapgtrs

Gold Supporting Member
Im gonna A/B em before I decide. The Crate is a beast to lug around. But it does sound good. In the back off my mind Im always worried its gonna break down being a Crate so I never take it anywhere. Though I have had it about 5 years with no problems. I assume quality on par with the HRD given the price point.

Tone Loco

Gold Supporting Member
Im gonna A/B em before I decide. The Crate is a beast to lug around. But it does sound good. In the back off my mind Im always worried its gonna break down being a Crate so I never take it anywhere. Though I have had it about 5 years with no problems. I assume quality on par with the HRD given the price point.
The Vintage Clubs had a couple fairly well known weak points as far as parts but if it's still going all these years later it's probably had any kinks worked out. Don't hold the brand name against it, those are nice sounding amps that are as good or better than plenty that went/go for more.

No doubt lots of people like HRDs too, there's tons of them out there, though I don't think they are going as cheap as the VCs - probably because of their brands, not because people A/B'd them and priced them accordingly.

3x10 though, that's a pretty hot sounding set up and he had the speakers specially made with paper formers to get the vintage sound. But yeah, the weight it what it is.

crackbass

Cleans are pretty comparable. Overdrive, the crate is much better. However, I would do the trade. If you regret it later you can sell the Deluxe and buy two of the Vintage Clubs with the proceeds. It's also a smaller package and a much easier amp to carry. I've had both BTW.

b80

The overdrive on the Hot Rod Deluxe is great is you keep it below 4 or 5 on the drive knob. I use the Drive channel as more off a "clean boost with some dirt" type sounds and it's great for me. For high gain, I boost with a dirt pedal. I'd suggest you try that setup when you audition the HRD. Good luck!

Lennox Lewis

I have always loved the Vintage Club amps. In terms of tone, I think they are superior to the HRD. Some of the Vintage Clubs have been known to have little things go wrong. One of my old one would blow a fuse from time to time. But, in terms of tone/sound, I would rate the Vintage Club above the HRD. After I traded my old 2x12 Vintage Club years ago, I found myself missing that tone. I ended up getting a V-Series Crate, which is the closest thing to it but with a little better reliability. I have a collection of more expensive amps in the stable, but still use the V-Series for certain applications. I have always loved the sound of that line of Crates (VC and V-Series).

Cgkindler

DUDE - HotRod Deluxe all the way.....if it's in good working shape those are $400-$500 used all day long.

GREAT sound - tons of headroom, and those amazing Fender Chimey Cleans....Mmm mmm mmm! I miss mine!

The Funk

Crate has a much better distortion. Sort of a Vox meets Hot Rod Marshall thing. But WAY more gain than you'll ever need. Cleans are pretty bright but very nice. It has a bright cap on the volume knob, so its like a bright switch is always on. The big disadvantage with this amp is the single jack effects loop, and the size and weight. Other than that, its a nice amp.

The HRD will have a different clean channel, but equally good. Its a 6l6 vs El84 thing. Distortion channel sucks. But, these are also modifiable to fire breathing beasts if you want to go in that direction.

Cgkindler

Modding is a LOT of fun - and not TOO expensive.

I looked into it, and was ready to send mine off, but just got a nice set of matched tubes instead.

It's really neat to see how different tubes make an amp sound different or react different.

In my Two Rock, I replaced the V1 12ax7 with several different brands and found one that let me turn the volume up a bit, because it got rid of that classic woof, and added a little chime.

I think I'll put the original one back in though, just to remember what it was like stock!

Trending Topics