Craziest thing you've seen at a concert?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Go Cat Go!!, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Go Cat Go!!

Go Cat Go!! Member

True story: First time I saw Motorhead was LaMours East which was maybe a 2000 capacity club. Place was packed. As soon as Motorhead hit the stage they blew everyone away literally. The SPL was so high everybody left the main room and went into the secondary room in the back, I suspect a lot of people left. A friend and I wanted to see them close up so we walked up front. Holy cow! That was an experience. I felt my organs being rearranged. There was a drunk guy with his head in one of the PA horns. I only lasted about 20 seconds up front then walked back. It was painful and not fun. The guy with his head in the horn stayed there for the length of the show. To this day I wonder if he can hear anything anymore. They were so loud they were setting off car alarms around the club. This was years ago and Brian Robertson had just joined. I think it was the Orgasmatron tour.

FFOGG, shadowbox, phoghat and 21 others like this.
  2. Jason UP

Jason UP Supporting Member

Not to ruin the rawkin' vibe from the get-go (but I will), but a buddy of mine in high school died at a concert....yeah that was crazy. Just sweaty and moshing along to the sultry sounds of Metallica on the Justice tour and then bam. Dropped. A heart defect. I was about 20 yards away but the 3-4 folks right next to him instantly dragged him out of there.

First comment! Sorry! haha

InkStained, hank57, monty and 5 others like this.
  3. DGDGBD

DGDGBD Member

A warm up act for the Violent Femmes, circa mid 80s, performing or simulating colonel-angus on stage while performing.

ZZ Top concert in Philly, 1983, at the rectum (aka, the Spectrum) - rolling fistfights on the floor seats and packs of firecrackers thrown from the upper levels, blood stains on the walls from the fighting.

ZMoney, Not Orange, mikendzel and 3 others like this.
  4. ToneDeVille

ToneDeVille Member

AC/DC - 5th row center - guy in the row in front of us takes it out and starts pissing. He is so bombed he pisses all over the backside of the gal in front of him.
    She realizes what's happening and gets REALLY pissed.
    Big ruckus follows.

5. bdm

bdm Supporting Member

I’ve seen flying basses knock people unconscious in the audience and front men march across an audiences heads and shoulders. Saw a frontman barf off the front of the stage mid song and keep going without missing a beat. I’ve been in the middle of fistfights. Hell I’ve had to use my pbass to club a drunk guy who didn’t quite understand boundaries with our frontwoman in an old band.

6. mattjayworker

mattjayworker Member

On more than one occasion I've literally seen musical notes coming from both the speakers and the musicians on stage.

I've also experimented with hallucinogens on more than one occasion.

7. Suave Eddie

Suave Eddie Member

Anyone been to a GG Allin show?

8. 27sauce

27sauce Member

I went to a lot of shows between '93 and '98. That was the heyday for bizarre, shock, hedonism...I can't even think of anything specifically, but it was probably at a Jim Rose Circus show.

Slayer, '94. What once was a 2 room building(venue and pool hall) became a one room venue when the show was oversold and the audience knocked out the wall to the pool hall. I was up front and at one point balls and cue sticks started flying all over the place.

Outside at a White Zombie show that same year I saw lightning strike the venue after and a huge blue spark flame engulfed a bootleg merch stand. That was pretty awesome.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  9. Suave Eddie

Suave Eddie Member

I was going to mention the Jim Rose Sideshow Circus.

coffeecupman and 27sauce like this.
  10. Jayyj

Jayyj Supporting Member

The very first gig I went to was 90s indie heroes Suede at a very prestigious classical music venue, the Free Trade Hall, in Manchester in 1994. Before the band came on a team of enormous bouncers were frog marching any fans that tried to gather at the foot of the stage back to their seats. They seemed more or less in control of things until the house lights went down and two thousand teenager charged them down en masses. Didn't see a bouncer from then until after the show, I think they just gave up and left us to it. The seats got completely trashed, which made staying upright in the mosh pit with a sea of broken seats underfoot an interesting experience, and about half way through I remember seeing a row of seats getting crowd surfed along the audience.

The same gig the singer did a spot of stage diving and resurfaced with the mother of all nosebleeds, so performed half the set dripping with blood.

That was a fun intro to the world of live music.

jacopo, massacre, fretless and 4 others like this.
  11. Ampedusa

Ampedusa Supporting Member

Aerosmith early 80's. Steven Tyler stopped the show mid song and said he had to pee. After a 5 minute break he was back. 20 minutes after that he nodded off standing up at the mic.

ucnick, MBreinin, brb9911 and 20 others like this.
  12. General_Specific

General_Specific Member

Black Sabbath - Mob Rules tour at Madison Square Garden. Dude apparent fell from the upper section. This was before the show and the seats he fell on were empty. I didn't see him fall. Everyone just suddenly shifted gaze to the right, and there was this guy sprawled over the seats in a very unnatural way. Like he fell from above. The ushers rushed over and quickly carried him out.

chumbucket and fretless like this.
  13. donnievaz

donnievaz Member

General admission outdoor show at a horse track, Stone Temple Pilots opening for the Butthole Surfers before they hit it big. The Surfers Fans weren't digging it, chanting "Butthole Surfers" while pelting Scott Weiland with draft beer in cups...

Dokken opening for Aerosmith in '87 or so at the Captal Centre in Largo, MD. Two songs in, George Lynch who is clearly not having his best day dropped like a rock and passed out on stage.

14. adolan

adolan Member

Slayer Reign In Blood Tour early 87 at Lamour in Brooklyn, ( I had seen them at the Ritz as well in December 86? need to look at my stubs) Anyways...

So I smoked some weed before we went in and then my friend and I were stand there in the back of the venue and this guy with long flaming red hair runs past us screaming "Smoke Dust!! SMOKE DUST!!!" non stop, he drops right in front of us, hits the floor solid on his back does a convulsive "crispy bacon" wiggle all over on his back, springs back up like the Matrix and flies thru the crowd!! we were jsut like omfg what the hell was that??? dude was Obviously Dusted for sure but wow, when dudes head hit the floor we both were like omg that guys a nutburger deluxe!!

15. SuperSilverHaze

SuperSilverHaze Member

A few come to mind.

Hulaween this year there was a tripping dude taking a leak in the open field at the Umphreys McGee show in front of everyone. A few people almost walked into his mid stream because it was dark out.

I saw a couple having sex in the 200 level of Lakefront UNO at a Widespread Panic show a few years back.

Outside of a Jazzfest show in 2004 a nitrous dealer got into a confrontation with the police officer and was trying to swing his nitrous tank at the police officer who ended up breaking out the tazzer gun on him.

16. plinker

plinker Member

1994, during a Metallica/Danzig/Suicidal Tendencies show. While Metallica were playing, people were lighting trash and trees on fire out in the grassy area of the venue. Security was running around with fire extinguishers putting the fires out, and the place got filled with that powdery mist.

pickaguitar and jblake like this.
  17. Go Cat Go!!

Go Cat Go!! Member

I loved LaMours Brooklyn. I was there almost every Saturday night back in the day. I never knew Slayer played there. Cool! I saw many great bands there Accept, Ratt, Gary Moore, Y&T, Zebra...

massacre, monty, chumbucket and 2 others like this.
  18. Link Ramone

Link Ramone Member

Yup. I was at his last show. Bad craziness. Last I saw him he was running down the street with about a dozen of New York's Finest in pursuit. How he managed to elude them I'll never know, but he died of an overdose later that night.

19. admiral sluggo

admiral sluggo Member

grateful dead, alpine valley, wi circa 1988. waiting in line with 15,000 people to get into the venue. the facility had multiple gates but for some reason they had only one gate open. then concert security decided to drive a suv thru the crowd to the gate. saw them run over a girl. only time i saw a dead audience get ugly.