Craziest thing you've seen at a concert?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Go Cat Go!!, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Rob Eddy

Rob Eddy Member

I saw Metallica on the 'Binge and Purge' tour. It was an new outdoor venue and we had just come through a couple of days of serious rain. By the time they started the third song, pieces of sod were flying through the air. A lot of it. It was surreal because it just looked like the sky was puking dirt and grass. James had to stop the show and advise people to not do that. That only made it worse. Lol. I still have the shirt and it still has the mud stain on it from when I got hit by a 2' x 2' piece of sod. Even after being washed a lot.

I saw FFDP at Rock on the Range a couple of years ago. I have never seen a crowd so "together" with a band on stage. The whole place was just jumping up and down with the music. That's as impressed as I've ever been by a live performance. The crowd was just as impressive as the band. It was an awesome show.

I saw this show in Columbus Ohio. We were 'stage left', on the wings. George played the entire show from BEHIND his stacks because he and Don were apparently not having a good day for one another. It's pretty well documented that they came to hate one another. Fistfights backstage weren't uncommon between the two. I don't think they stayed together much after that tour.

donnievaz likes this.
  2. phoghat

phoghat Member

I saw GG Allin twice. Nothing is even in the same ballpark for disturbing lunacy. NOTHING.

Everything you've heard is true.

I have no explanation for why I went to that second show.

3. Blue Tile Fever

Blue Tile Fever Member

4. Psychotronic

Psychotronic Member

[Reluctantly raises hand]

fretless and drlucky like this.
  5. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

Stewart once reminisced about the old days in an interview: "Sting was like another father figure to me. My real father was warm, kind, and affectionate." :)

=K

fretless, Gig Young and drlucky like this.
  6. drlucky

drlucky Member

AC/DC opening for Aerosmith, 1978: nobody knows who AC/DC is. Crowd is getting restless, despite the fact that AC/DC is kickin' a$$. Angus goes out into the crowd on Bon Scott's shoulders, accompanied by four burly Aussie roadies. Some dingus throws a Pepsi on Angus...he points the guy out, two of the roadies beat the guy to a fruit juicy pulp in full spotlight.
    Oh, and Aerosmith sucked, big time...

seward, fretless and Baxtercat like this.
  7. BigAl

BigAl Member

I was at the infamous free Green Day show at the Hatch Shell in Boston in 1994. Just started graduate school and a few of us went to check it out. The crowd was so large we could not get very close and they pulled the plug after a few songs as the chaos set in. Was pretty cool to see a blurb about it in Rolling Stone magazine a few weeks later!

beanbass likes this.
  8. mdog114

mdog114 Member

they poured the North America free trade act on their cymbals?

9. Gig Young

Gig Young Orson Welles; Mercury Theater 1935 Silver Supporting Member

Still to this day...

Back in the early seventies of very primitive stage monitors and PA systems where a band was lucky to hear themselves even 75%,

I saw Chicago twice-- and they sounded fantastic, all the instruments, the vocals the balance, everything.
    This was 1970, 1971!!

That's not only crazy, but amazing because they were not a quiet band by any means.

aliensporebomb and beanbass like this.
  10. Surgeon

Surgeon Member

Yeah smart guy, you're the third one to make that joke. Maybe I'll just edit my original post...

11. stonem

stonem Member

I was at ozzfest back in the late 90s sitting in the grass smoking a joint. I hear commotion and see this guy running from 2 security guards and jumping over rows of people(it was early so people were just sitting in rows chilling). Two security gaurds were right on his ass. He jumped over the guy next to me and continued a couple of rows down until one guard speared him in the back like a sack of potatoes. Then whipped out his walkee talkee and started beating the guy in the head with it until he went limp. Each guard grabbed and arm and drug him away. It was brutal. Also Slayer played later that night, very brutal.

fretless likes this.
  12. Tony

Tony Supporting Member

Just being honest, you guys have me afraid to Google GG Allin from my work PC.

fretless likes this.
  13. larry1096

larry1096 Member

At an outdoor Ted Nugent show in Milwaukee in the 80's, there were police (not security, uniformed police) EVERYWHERE, combing the crowd for folks with marijuana.

Lots of the people there were, apparently, from Illinois, where concern venues had a more relaxed attitude toward drug use, and were caught unawares when cops started yanking them, bodily, from their seats and carting them off.

The wildest part was when some kid tried climbing one of the sound towers that was in the seating area; he got about 15' up when a cop walked up, jumped up and grabbed his foot and yanked him right off it. He fell so heavily I seriously thought he'd broken his neck. Cop never even checked, just dragged him off....

Larry

Gig Young and fretless like this.
  14. beanbass

beanbass Member

And you saw Terry Kath in his glory! IMNVSFU

Gig Young likes this.
  15. jhale

jhale Supporting Member

Ill mirror another poster. Drunk solo weird guy at dio motorhead just starts peeing on the girl sitting in front of him.
    Another smaller show there was a girl dancer for this horror punk band. A guy comes up on stage and goes down on her and she just went with it while everyone watched:facepalm

fretless likes this.
  16. SDB

SDB Member

I was at a Pink Floyd show during the Pulse tour and a guy puked on my friend, right on the back of his neck, in his hair, and all over the back of his shirt. My friend was a big mean looking dude who you wouldn't want to mess with. When he turned around to see who puked on him, one of the guy's friends jumped in between them and started apologizing profusely. He asked my friend what size shirt he wore and said "I'll go buy you a show shirt right now".

My friend and his girlfriend went to the restroom and cleaned him up. When he got back to his seat, the guy who puked on him was gone, and the other guy came back and handed my buddy a new shirt. He apologized for his friend again, and said "that's for him puking on you". Then he handed my friend two more shirts and said "and these are for you not hitting him". It was pretty cool, actually.

Riverrat84, Jp2558, NicDo and 6 others like this.
  17. wombat66

wombat66 Member

Interesting how many of these "crazy things" are defined by either violence or bodily fluids

18. flume

flume Gold Supporting Member

What year- tour?

19. sandcastle

sandcastle Member

Well, I was in high school, so it had to have been mid 70s', and at Market Square arena.

20. aliensporebomb

aliensporebomb Member

I saw Tangerine Dream in Toronto in 1986 I believe it was. There was a segment of the show where Edgar Froese was supposed to break out his stratocaster and do the big guitar solo that was the climax of every TD show. Well, the roadie fiddled with his guitar rig while the band was riffing along waiting for the solo to start and after about 5 minutes of fiddling and playing with gear you could finally hear the guitar. Edgar seemed mad enough to explode since 5 minutes in front of an audience when you're holding a guitar and it's not making a sound feels like 5 hours. It was like "Tangerine Dream Shreds" because he laid into that guitar like a madman. A great show even with the malfunction.

seward and fretless like this.