Crazy FX

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by CerpinVolta, Sep 28, 2005.

1. CerpinVolta

CerpinVolta Member

im lookin for some fx pedals that can get me some more extreme effects. i was thinking of getting maybe a mutron III , a mooger fooger or any other pedal that can give me weird spacey effects. has anyone used a EH Flanger Hoax. Any suggestions on strange effects would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dave

2. Antero

Antero Member

I love topics like this! :D

Ring modulators are THE way to make crazy noise. Delay pedals that will go into feedback are great as well. ZVex Ooh-Wah/Seek-Wah, Fuzz Factory, Lo-Fi Loop Junky, and The Machine are excellent sound manglers. Running a flanger into a fuzzbox can create stupen/horrendous noises as well.

If you want specifically spacey, phasers and flangers and chorus are the usual way to go... The Ooh-Wah or a feedback-ing delay would be more interesting options, I think.

3. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

What sort of Mars Volta tones are you trying to cop? Omar uses tons of phase, filter and tape delay effects as well as recording tricks, live he drenches his tone in reverb and echo-plex style stuff... you can't really go wrong with a Moog Phaser and Moog Filter... or Studio Electronics Phaser and Filter... or the Moog Murf will definately get you some new unheard space sounds... delay is a must though, an EHX Small Stone modded by Analog Man has some of the thickest phase tones to be found at a low price, it is still my "lets **** my signal up and make everyone love it" pedal. If you are going for original sounds, get a phaser, delay and a Moog Murf, if you're looking for Mars Volta a DL4 and a Filter and Phase pedal will get you there. Lots of people will say Vibe to you... but its more classic psychedelia than modern sci-fi kinda prog stuff... which I'm assuming you're in to. The Red Witch Moon Phaser is great... but in my opinion way to mellow to be crazy. Lots of great sounds can be found in the Paradox TZF by Fox Rox but it costs a pretty penny... quiet operation though, and superb effect. Give me more of an idea of what you want... modulation is my specialty:D Also a ring modulator with phase and delay can be an experimentalist's best friend. So the theme is... get a phase and delay... then decided on a filter pedal for more "standard" stuff... Murf for new creative stuff... and/or a ringmod for really wild stuff (and some more subtle stuff too). Sorry for this huge answer, need more thought as to what you're trying to nail down.

-TJK

4. jeak

jeak Member

You guys have expensive taste :D For about $70 new, you could get an MXR Blue Box. I have one on my board. Check out the hilarous (and very accurate) reviews at harshnoise.com. I bet you'll be ordering one today!

5. BmoreTele

BmoreTele Member

The EHX Flanger Hoax will do weird very nicely thank you.

Phasing, flanging, vibrato, tremolo, that's just the beginning. Add in the electronc crackles and hisses of a crystal set radio plus tunable whistles, thumps, zips, and rumbles.

Imagine a guy in a white coay with a room full of oscilloscpes, tuning them to create all sorts of interference patterns and you start to get the picture.

Oh, and it does a pretty good Rotosphere-Leslie-Magnatone too. No ramping, just the high speed grind and flutter.

6. Antero

Antero Member

Any soundclips of that? :D

Man, I spent too long hanging around my bandmate. We we're jamming on something we were working on, and he's like,

"Can we end this with a fuzz bass feedback solo?"

and I'm like,

".......yeah, sure, sounds cool."

And it did.

7. jeak

jeak Member

Sorry, I don't yet. And I'm away from my studio for a few weeks. Perhaps the most famous example of the MXR Blue Box in action is Jimmy Page's solo on "Fool in the Rain." It's a cool solo, but it doesn't even scratch the surface of what the BB can do. I think the Dunlop website lists some more current bands and players who have recorded with it. My favorite thing about the BB is that it truly has "moods" that change each day. Seriously, one day it sounds one way, and the next day it behaves differently. Kind of like my 3-year-old nephew. You never know what you'll get out of a Blue Box!

P.S. It also can make a big difference what you place before it in the chain to goose it with. Or after it. I'm still experimenting.

8. fyler

fyler Member

9. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

If you've never tried a ring mod, that can be a very cool sound mangler. Most fun I ever had with one was Zvex Machine into ringmod (one with a CV control pedal for carrier frequency) into fuzz (or the other order, can't remember for sure). It turned into a wierd wah that changed timbre and drive levels as well as frequency response.

Another cool sort of mayhem can be obtained with units that allow CV input (like the Mooger Fooger stuff) and the MF251 control pedal (which does a bunch of analog synth type control techniques)-you can sync and randomize your delay/ringmod/phaser/low pass filter in all sorts of wier ways...

10. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

11. CerpinVolta

CerpinVolta Member

Great suggestions! TaronKeim, yes a big influence of mine is Mars Volta and one of my first goals is to get a phaser. I've been looking at getting a red witch and i also gave the paradox a look but as you said its a pretty penny. So that being said what are some good phase pedals out there that wont cost an arm and a leg?Does anyone else feel the red witch is too mellow? I dont need something too over the top. I suppose im not trying to be as crazy with the effects as Omar i just need some effects that will get me into "out of the normal" territory. I listened to the Gig-FX pedal and was really diggin' it! Does anyone have much experiance with it and would they recommend it? Pros Cons?

thanks,
    dave

12. BmoreTele

BmoreTele Member

Phasers you say?

I know a little.

Yes, the Red Witch is mellow. Sweet, deep, thick, and mellow.

For wackier phasing you've got to ramp up the resonance (feedback). A couple that you might try that won't bankrupt you -

Ibanez PH99 analog, does square and sine wave. Intensity to go from 4 to 8 stage phasing. This pedal is one of the few phasers that does negative as well as positive resonance (feedback). The others are the Infinitphase and the new Quasar from SubDecay. I traded mine along with a compressor for a Moog Ring Mod and just replaced it with another PH99 I got off Ebay for $48. That was a steal! This is a great phaser with a wide range of sounds from standard to totally sci-fi.

The Arion SPH-1 is a good phaser that you can get for $25. Not as many wild sounds as the PH99, but a great deal. Sometimes MF blows them out for $15.

Stepping up a bit is the Quasar - $150. I tried this one in a Tour Box. You get True Bypass, more complex waveshapes, and with the feedback all the way CCW, I was getting some sitar like sounds. Very cool.

The Roger Linn Adrenalinn version I is going for $150 or less on Ebay. It has a ton of flanger, tremolo, roatary, and filter effects that can be synced to drum beats or tap tempo. It ain't great in a straight guitar to amp rig, but does well in loops or mixer effect send/returns. The lack of dynamic response may be outweighed by the sheer inspiration in the box.

For spicing up all sorts of modulation, delay, and filter sounds, I'm getting a Modded DD3 from Robert Keeley that lets you run the wet (delayed) signal through a loop and the stuff in the loop keeps regenerating on top of itself. If you already have a DD3 the mod costs $80. The mod also adds three selectable levels of warmth to the delay tone and replaces internal components with good stuff.

:dude :cool:

13. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

If you're looking for something that can be both crazy and subtle, I still recommend getting an Analog Man Modded Small-Stone... great pedal, simple controls (depth SWTICH and speed knob) and can do shimmering stuff all the way too milkshake thick stepped phasing, definately my favorite pedal for Volta sounding phase plus it is super affordable. Keep in mind that Omar LOVES the Line 6 modelling stuff as well as his analog pedals so you might wanna try a Line 6 Modulation Modeler... 16 classic phase and swirly effects that would definately be good enough to "pass" for any occasion. The Hoax Flanger by EHX is also a little more affordable and seems like it will be a good choice but I'd wait till some mods are available for it. Hope this helps.

-TJK

14. lefchr

lefchr Member

I just ordered a hoax the other day, I'll report back when I get it.

The zvex fuzz factory can get some crazy sounds too, its what it does best;) .

15. pedxing

pedxing Member

16. Richards

Richards Silver Supporting Member

17. alanfc

alanfc Member

1 yr. bumperooni for this awesome topic

18. freakingjesse

freakingjesse Member

a friend of mine has a cool, fairly inexpensive way of creating crazy effects. he runs a Boss PH-3 on Step mode through a DD-5 on Reverse. the PH-3 has a footswitch to control the length of the sweep or whatever it's supposed to be called. it's hardly boutique, but hey, it works.

19. drolling

drolling Member

Can't believe no one's mentioned DigiTech's Whammy pedal yet. The shifted pitches sound pretty cheezy on their own, so I generally use this pedal in conjunction w/a fuzz. And not necessarily a *nice* fuzz. Something ugly like the E13 Truly Beautiful Disaster can make your guitar howl like a disembowelled abominable snowman.. Try it w/a delay in the feedback loop- but not w/an amp that you cherish!

EBow's another fun tool/toy; it does "pretty" sounding 'bowed' note effects, but if you really dig in, you'll also get speaker-rending squeals & scrapes that'll peel the paint off walls.

My favorite 'crazy' effect is runaway analogue delay - I've mounted my Deluxe MemoryMan on a mic stand so I can twist the dials while I'm playing.. Another good way to blow up an amp!

20. Antero

Antero Member

I'm going to be building some Strange Friggin' Devices over winter break, if all goes according to plan. I'll let you guys know how it goes. :)