Crazy Horse OR High Powered Twin OR Les Luis...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Kennyscrown, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Kennyscrown

Kennyscrown Member

...or something else that nails the Neil Young tone, both full on amp melting and for quieter, lower gain things.

Looking at the demos, not sure any other pedal can do the voltage sag as well as the Crazy Horse.

(Sorry, I know there are a couple of NY pedal threads out there, but can't seem to easily search into on the High Powered Twin).

2. Kennyscrown

Kennyscrown Member

3. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

4. smokehouse4444

smokehouse4444 Supporting Member

I'm sorry, I don't know about the other pedal, but one of my fuzz pedal searches came down to the Crazy Horse and the Scarab Deluxe. The CH does that sputter better than just about anything I heard, and I wanted that, but I decided on the Scarab Deluxe. The BASD will get very sputtery with the bias and fat knob, but it also was able to do a lot of other things. Love the Crazy Horse, but glad I got the Scarab.

If you want one of the best pedals to get that Hey Hey My My sound, the Crazy Horse is awesome. For just about everything else, I would go with the Scarab

5. deadlands

deadlands Member

I use both the Les Lius and the Crazy Horse. Although, lately I've moved the Crazy Horse to recording duties and not on my live board. I love what it does, but it can be really noisy with my rig. I play Jazzmasters and they are already noisy guitars and the CH made the noise unbearable.

As far as sounds .... The CH will get that amp-about-to-explode sound easily. Awesome pedal for that sound. Great for leads or chords. But it doesn't do the lower gain stuff all that well, IMO. The LL is mellower and really nails that fuzzy tweed overdrive and it can do the lower gain and definitely the higher gain, but doesn't quite get the more extreme NY tones. I love it and use it as one of my main overdrives. It sounds great with Fender voiced amps.

6. Kennyscrown

Kennyscrown Member

So going back to the Crazy Horse, can it do Velcro type fuzz? Was considering a Fuzz Factory for higher gain stuff, but if the Crazy Horse can do that, might get that AND a Les Luis, or something else for lower gain. Just want a Crazy Horse, but can't justify it as I don't play that heavy for much of the time!

7. Sociophile

Sociophile "Ignore" Button Aficionado Silver Supporting Member

I use the Les Luis and push it with a HBOD when I need a solo boost or a little extra edge. LOVE the Les Luis.

8. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Supporting Member

I had the Les LIUS and the Crazy Horse.

My issue with the LL was that you couldn't get enough gain without volume and when you had the volume up, the second stage didn't really cut very well. And the stupid lack of a tone knob.

The Crazy Horse is the flip side...too much gain. Really awesome pedal, but again a little wacky for having the Neil Young sound as an on-demand thing...Probably would work better as a foundation for a sound and then riding the vol knob?

The various Supro pedals do a good job of the small-exploding amp sound too.

9. gmann

gmann Member

No experience the the Crazy Horse or the Scarab. I really like the Lovepedal Hi Pwr Tweed Twin and have used it alot. However for that Neil Young thing you can't beat the Les Lius. The toggle sw. let's you choose the 5E3 option and that works reallly well cranked up. The LL is more versatile that the TT but not necessarily better depending on what your going for.