Crazy question "Can I lower a speakers Impedence by placing the proper size resistor

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Glass Onion, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Glass Onion

Glass Onion Toneful truth seeker. Gold Supporting Member

at the terminals. I have a 16 ohm Vintage 30 in my rehoused Pro Jr. I would like to hear how it sounds seeing the correct ohm load. I may like this speaker a lot more if it sounds a bit more defined and tight. Any thoughts welcome.:drink

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    You can make the speaker "look" (sorta) like an 8 ohm speaker to the amp that way, but you'll loose half of the power across the resistor and you won't be hearing it as the "correct" load.

What you're hearing now is more correct.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  3. Glass Onion

Thank you so much BlueStrat. I always appreciate your posts. You have a great store and products as well. I play a 93 Strat Plus in Pearlburst Blue so cool name too:D

4. GearHeadFred

GearHeadFred Member

Keep in mind that you will need a resistor rated at 1/2 of the output power of your amp. I think the pro juniors are 15 watts - so you would need a 7.5 watt resistor.. and it will get very hot - be careful.

My input would be that you are barking up the wrong tree, though.

5. Glass Onion

I thought it might not be the right way around and Blue Strats info just confirmed it. Thanks for the clarification though. I had thought the heat issue would be the main problem but then the idea of power dissipation due to the resistor had never entered my idea. I think i will stick with the current V30 until I get the gumption to get a proper Ohmed V30. This is my wet amp in a wet dry set up with a THD univavle so the amount of difference might just be negligable anyway. I do like the amp when set up with the right preamp tubes, ie a NOS 12atz and a ratheyon 12at type tube that I have. I just have to re tube for playing the amp by itself with a good 12ax7. Thanks again for all the info guys.