Crazy story about a Les Paul I just bought

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Beng2040, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Beng2040

Beng2040 Supporting Member

I just picked up a 1980 LP standard in Sunburst. I already own a 1980 Goldtop and love it, but wanted something a little more worn to gig with (my goldtop is immaculate). So I found one I liked and got it for a great price. It looks awesome, but better yet, it sounds and plays way better than my goldtop.

So the interesting part happened when I checked the serial number. I looked up the date and found out it's birthday was 10-21-80. I thought that date sounded familiar, so I checked the Goldtop again....same exact date! Pretty crazy since it was totally unplanned, but what's even weirder is that the two are consecutive serial numbers! I found my Goldtop's brother without even trying! Anyone else ever have this happen to them (totally by chance)? I feel like that date must have some sort of significance. Or maybe I should just play the lottery. :)

2. XKnight

XKnight Member

Congrats! It was meant to be...

3. travisvwright

travisvwright Member

I'll say it so no one else has to.

Pics or it's fake.

4. Beng2040

Okay, I'll post em later tonight, though I usually don't post serial numbers. I guess I have to in this case to keep my credibility.

Problem is, I kinda want to sell the goldtop now since the new one sounds much better to my ears. But I have a hard time breaking up the pair. And I really don't need two LPs. Suggestions?

5. travisvwright

travisvwright Member

Loan it to me indefinitely.

6. Beng2040

After busting my balls about pics!!!;) :beer

7. travisvwright

travisvwright Member

Then you'd have a great reason to not post serial numbers. I'm just trying to do you a favor.

8. Beng2040

:rotflmaoYou're cracking me up!!!

9. travisvwright

travisvwright Member

Honestly I think that's just an awesome story and want to drag it out, with more info. Did you get them from the same place and how long apart?

10. Beng2040

I bought them both off the Bay, over a year apart (different sellers). Good deals on both of them, too, but the new one is the hands-down winner, even though it's damn near 11 lbs!

I wasn't necessarily even looking for another 1980, but found this one and it was the right price and color. I promise to post pics to legitimize this story. I wouldn't lead you on...:D

11. Quarter

Quarter Member

Very cool story ..

12. KGWagner

KGWagner Member

I would think it would be difficult to find two consecutive serial numbers in the same store on the same day from the same shipment, let alone in as widely disparate situations as you describe. So, yeah. Play the lottery <grin>

13. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Cool story. What's most interesting to me concerns the tone of the two guitars versus the amount they have probably been played based on wear. The goldtop is 'immaculate' which probably means it has been pampered and played very little, and the sunburst made on the same day is 'a little more worn' and sounds better! Does playing a guitar more make it sound better, or did the sunburst just sound better from day one?

14. Jazzydave

Jazzydave Seeker Silver Supporting Member

What a cool coincidence!

15. darth_vader

darth_vader Member

16. ManliusGuitar

ManliusGuitar Member

You can't seperate the siblings now!

17. rooster

rooster Member

That is so very awesome! To reply to the question about whether playing a guitar makes it sound better, it makes sense that it would; I don't remember who did the research, but it was found that when an instrument vibrates under normal playing conditions, there is splintering of the wood fibers on the microscopic level. This is referred to by most people as "breaking in." I can tell you that my Heritage H150s broke in the more they got played, and sound better every month by a little bit; it's not my imagination, it's much like speaker break-in.

There is also the thought that guitars are like your pets, and when to pay attention to them and love them, they respond in their own way. I kinda like that one.

rooster.

18. stratman89

stratman89 Supporting Member

Great story.........................looking forward to some pics of the brothers!

19. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

I remember reading an old interview with Tommy Shaw and the same thing happened to him. He had a Les Paul that he absolutely loved. He was worried about anything happening to it so he had his guitar tech constantly looking for a backup that played the same.

One day his tech brought one to Tommy and said he found it at a shop and was sure Tommy would like it.
    Tommy plugged it in and LOVED it. He was amazed at how similar it was to his original Les Paul. He took a look at the serial number and it was the next consecutive number.

20. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

It sounds like a classic case of harmonic convergence. Did you happen to notice harmonized angelic voices or see any heavenly lights directed towards it when you opened the case? [​IMG]