Creaky strat trem springs

vintage66

My American Standard's springs have become extremely creaky when I use the bar even just a little. I know I can put plastic tubing inside them and that will quiet them (last time a had a nut cut for it they insisted on a setup and took them out), but what other remedies are there?

Ron Kirn

stick a rag inside 'em... rag's cheeper 'n new springs.. the new one's will probably creak too.

If they creak with the totally tonacious rag option, then you can still spring for new springs... hell, it's Spring ya know...

Ron Kirn

hogy

Dampening the springs would not be an option for me, I like to hear them ring.

The creak is happening in two spots, at the claw and/or at the block. Put a small drop of oil (like Tri-flow) where the springs hook to the claw and where they go into the holes of the block. That will fix it.

Another thing to rule out is that the springs do not rub against the back plate.

AndreasG

Replacing the springs is always an option. I'm diggin the Raw Vintage springs in mine!
While they won't make your Strat sound like an original 60's one like they will make you believe, I have the Raw Vintage ones in my '73 and they work great and have a very nice and even feel to them.

stormin1155

Dampening the springs would not be an option for me, I like to hear them ring.

The creak is happening in two spots, at the claw and/or at the block. Put a small drop of oil (like Tri-flow) where the springs hook to the claw and where they go into the holes of the block. That will fix it.

Another thing to rule out is that the springs do not rub against the back plate.

What hogy said.

vintage66

Thanks, I'll try to find some oil first (not sure I have much else besides wd-40). If that doesn't work I'll look into new springs.

shane8

stick a rag inside 'em... rag's cheeper 'n new springs.. the new one's will probably creak too.

If they creak with the totally tonacious rag option, then you can still spring for new springs... hell, it's Spring ya know...

Ron Kirn
must be nos rag

vintage66

On further review, it's the stretching of the springs that's making noise, not the contact points. I know I could put plastic tubing inside, but I'd rather not dampen the vibration of the springs. I'm thinking of getting new springs.

The Raw Vintage ones look cool, do they work on American Standards or are they designed for vintage/reissues strats only-not sure if they're the same springs or not. The fact that they're lower tension allowing for all 5 instead of 3 springs seems to make a difference according to testimonials in sustain/sound. What are you guys' experiences with them? Worth the extra $$?

vintage66

Ron Kirn
I haven't experienced them creaking this bad until recently so I'm thinking new ones would most likely fix it unless I got bad a bad set, or have you experienced this a lot? These are very creaky with the slightest touch of the tremolo arm or even bending strings.

vintage66

Replacing the springs is always an option. I'm diggin the Raw Vintage springs in mine!
Update, a few months ago I did just that, and problem solved. No more creaking. As a bonus, the feel is better, much lighter feel (the trem did have to be adjusted). Even though I went from 3 to 5 springs, the pull is lighter, but I got used to it in a couple days and don't even notice it at all anymore. The sound changed too and seemed softer in a way, but again, I don't notice it anymore. It just works much more smoothly, and of course, quietly.

Trending Topics