Creamback 65w versus 75w?

cragginshred

Everyone seems to love the 75w version more. I found out there is more headroom mids ect in the 75w After I inquired with Dave Friedman as to which one he uses which is the 65w and of course I then spent about $300 on 2 once Dave replied.

1) Which do you prefer and for what style of music

2) Why do you think Dave opts for the 65w version?

He does reply to e-mails so I need to ask him I just thought I would get some other opinions.

Braciola

Gold Supporting Member
I really don't care for either.
However, if you want to use a Greenback but need higher power handling, the Creamback 65 is a decent option.
It's a little tighter & less wooly than a Greenback, but it lacks the "presence" frequencies.

The Creamback 75 is puchy but has an unpleasant ear grating frequency around 3k, and I find the speaker unmusical/ lacks sweetness.

dwk302

Depends on what type of music you play. If you need something tighter and more aggressive, then go for 75. If you want something looser, woofier but sweeter, then the 65.

I have both and prefer the 75. The 65 sound good mixed with another speak, like a V30 which is what I think Dave does on his 4x12.

Phil M

Silver Supporting Member
I really like the 75.

Maybe OP already gets this but I didn’t see it mentioned. The full name is G12M-65 Creamback and it’s a M magnet. The other is the G12H-75 for H magnet. Think about how a greenback is pretty different from a G12H-30 ... the Creambacks of course don’t sound just like those older models and they handle higher power, but you get the idea.

katuna

Gold Supporting Member
I find the 65 sounds great with my DS 40. I think it’s almost always a case of which one happens to mate with the amp best.
I have a 75 in a divided by 13 BTR combo and that pairing sounds perfect. But I prefer 65s with my Friedman.

mallcorn

Silver Supporting Member
Everyone seems to love the 75w version more. I found out there is more headroom mids ect in the 75w After I inquired with Dave Friedman as to which one he uses which is the 65w and of course I then spent about $300 on 2 once Dave replied.

1) Which do you prefer and for what style of music

2) Why do you think Dave opts for the 65w version?

He does reply to e-mails so I need to ask him I just thought I would get some other opinions.
I bought two G12M65 Creambacks thinking they would be a more powerful G12M25 so I could go to a 2x12 with a 100 watt amp and I was highly disappointed. My opinion - forget about the G12M65 or G12H75 Creambacks. Get the Alnico 90watt Creams. They are the BEST speaker by far I have ever heard.

Teleplayer

Moder8er
Staff member
The H75 is more aggressive. They are also 100db speakers (M65 are 97). Thus, they are louder and sound more "present". Great rock speakers and can be tamed a bit through understanding how to use your amp's and guitar's tone controls.

If I am seeking a Greenback type of sound with higher power handling capabilities, I'm buying a Scumback M75 65 watter. Jim knows Celestion tone and I think he did a great job with that speaker. As with the Creamback M65 (which is also 75Hz), the Scumback is 97db. Thus, it's a great way to tame the volume of your amp and get it in that "sweet spot" while kicking out less volume (i.e., great with non-MV amps).

Trending Topics