Creamback H vs Vintage 30 - Comparison Vid & Similar?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JYD, May 15, 2015.

1. JYD

JYD Supporting Member

A little surprised how similar these sound in this video. The V30 has a slighter mid bost, but not by much, which seems really strange, since we always hear how the H30 H75 is supposed to be flat with no mids.

I have this combo in my diagonal 2x12 with my Splawn Pro Stock and I sometimes find the mids from the speakers a bit grating after a 4 hour show. I'm now thinking of dropping one of these speakers from my diagonal and replacing one or the other with a Creamback M65 or K-100.

What do you guys think?

Cheers!

2. ufguy73

ufguy73 Gold Supporting Member

there was another video where i thought the v30 and ceramic H were more similar vs a g12m (james lugo or something).

obviously, they are different - but, yeah, i was kind of surprised too. i think the creamback has a certain growl/throatiness to the mids and voicing that can grate on me too - i don't know if you mean that.

it does have the H characteristics of having more high and tighter lows to me, as well

3. JYD

JYD Supporting Member

Well, that's the thing, when I play live, I cannot tell which speaker is grating on me more between the H75 and V30, so I may grab a Creamback M65 and my K-100 and try the different combinations.

Everyone talks about how they love the H75/V30 and how well they compliment each other, which I'm sure they do, but only marginally. I would think now that a K-100/V30 would compliment each other better.

4. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

I bought a 1960ax with English GBs, and for whatever reason swapped the bottom 2 for broken in V30's. Initially really liked the combo, but over time found the sound a bit grating, and maybe a little bit modern for the classic rock tones i was going for.
    Put the 2 GB's back in and its perfect! ! All the cut i could ever need, but more low mids and no ear fatigue.

5. Baba Louie

Baba Louie Member

To my ears, the alnico was sweeter. The other one was more mid-scooped. The alnico sounds better for leads. It's has a more pronounced high midrange, but not annoying. The other one sounded more suited for heavy metal. But, then again, my hearing aid battery is going dead, so, maybe I'll listen again after I change it.

6. DiPa

DiPa Silver Supporting Member

My preference in that video clip was the Creamback.
    I tend to prefer them over the V30s.
    They are warmer and smoother to my ears, and the V30s are more aggressive.