Creamback M65 and H75- Anyone mixing them in a 2x12?

mscotts

What?!
Gold Supporting Member
I have a Marshall style angled diagonal 2x12 on the way I need to load.
My amps are mostly Marshall flavored, and I'm thinking about a mix of
speaker flavors to enhance the harmonic content. So far I'm considering
the Celestion CB M65 and H75 or the WGS Vet-30 with the ET-65.
Any experiences in mixing speakers in an angled cab? What's best on top or bottom? Thanks all-

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
I run Scumbacks (I'm a bit biased..but Iv'e been doing this for 15 years..when I started mixing G12M and G12H30).

I prefer the M on top and H on bottom. I use a reinhardt cab currently.

It's a nice balance. once you're a few feet away from the speakers you don't notice the difference in sensitivity. Works great.

Not familiar enough with the creamback's yet. But as I've said, I've got 10 years almost on the Scumback M/H I'm using now.

Give it a shot.

mscotts

What?!
Gold Supporting Member
Hey thanks Big Mike, I have a Scumback M in a 1x12 cab and love it.
Great speakers, I'll bet that's a great mix.

Trotter

There's a 3dB difference between the 2 Creambacks models... seems like a little too much to me (but I could be wrong).

big mike

Cathode biased
Don't even notice it (at least with scumbacks IME) when you're more than 2 feet from the cab. Just a nice balanced tone.
I've mixed M/H models from Celestion, WGS and Eminence as well before settling on these.

ufguy73

Silver Supporting Member
i though celestion indicates as long as within 3db, can be an effective pairing?

BetterDaze

Yes...I am doing it...I like it alot in my Avatar Vintage 2X12....Super sweet highs & mids...really like it on my last gig....I was using a 2x12 with V30s and getting ear fatigue during gigs...not with these speakers. I expect to get videos from the next gig hopefully.

jondom22

I have a 2x12 mojotone slammins angled cab with a creamback h75 and a vintage 30 that pairs nicely. currently selling cos i needed a 4 ohm setup instead of an 8ohm rig.

for what it's worth, the creamback h75 sounds very balanced and robust. it has a lot of warmth, yet the presence is still there and it still sounded pretty forward to me. with the v-30 emphasizing the upper mids, i had a lot of depth and punch to my tone as well as a lot of detail and 3-D type of sound.

LPMojoGL

Music Room Superstar
Silver Supporting Member
I have a 2x12 mojotone slammins angled cab with a creamback h75 and a vintage 30 that pairs nicely. currently selling cos i needed a 4 ohm setup instead of an 8ohm rig.

for what it's worth, the creamback h75 sounds very balanced and robust. it has a lot of warmth, yet the presence is still there and it still sounded pretty forward to me. with the v-30 emphasizing the upper mids, i had a lot of depth and punch to my tone as well as a lot of detail and 3-D type of sound.

That's what I have in my Bogner 2x12. I'm loading another cab with 2 gbs.

If I could only choose 2, I'd say greenback/v30 mix if you don't need the power...h75/v30 if you do. V30s mic up so well and just sound right to me.

ufguy73

Silver Supporting Member

If I could only choose 2, I'd say greenback/v30 mix if you don't need the power...h75/v30 if you do. V30s mic up so well and just sound right to me.
i know friedman stock 4x12's come with gb/v30 mix...but you think that mix works well in a 2x12, also?

jondom22

i know friedman stock 4x12's come with gb/v30 mix...but you think that mix works well in a 2x12, also?
ya i would....just depends on how many watts your pushing though cos the GB isn't rated to handle as many watts as the V30 or Creamback...then again, i pushed a dual showman reverb (100 watt tubes plus some heavy fuzz) through a 2x12 with a G12H30 Anniversary + V30 and it handled it fine even though the G12H30 is only rated to handle 30 watts.

LPMojoGL

Music Room Superstar
Silver Supporting Member

I do. Folks are worried about the db difference, but there is still a change in the overall sound, and an extra dimension added with the mix.

Scumback Speakers

Around 5-6 years ago Dave Friedman and I did a whole bunch of testing with speakers, cabs, ohm ratings, naked/tolexed, etc.

General findings: 8 ohm tap has a little more mids than the 16 ohm tap which has more bass & vintage feel.

Speaker db output and balancing: More than 2-3 db difference and you need to put the louder speaker on the bottom of the cab (2x12 or 4x12) to balance them out. That's why you see recommendations for M75's on top, H75's on botom, or G12M's top, V30's bottom.

We've had a vertical 2x12 at the show for the last 2-3 years with an M75/H75 65w mix with a cranked 50w and pedalboard going. No one notices the db difference with the M75 on top, H75 on bottom from 3-4 feet away.

Even the horizontal cabs are easy to handle, just put your ear closest to the speaker you prefer the most.

Volume: The lower the volume, the more you'll notice the db difference (bedroom / TV volume). Once you give them both some power (say 15-20w and higher) you won't notice it nearly as much, if at all.

Hope this helps some of you to clarify what to expect.

fiftywatt

I have a Marshall style angled diagonal 2x12 on the way I need to load.
My amps are mostly Marshall flavored, and I'm thinking about a mix of
speaker flavors to enhance the harmonic content. So far I'm considering
the Celestion CB M65 and H75 or the WGS Vet-30 with the ET-65.
Any experiences in mixing speakers in an angled cab? What's best on top or bottom? Thanks all-
I did the same thing late last year with one of those Mojotone straight front basketweave 212 cabs. WGS Retro 30 paired with a WGS ET90. Very efficient with loads of headroom. Definitely a late breakup kind of rig but I have several mid powered 35-40 watt heads that I run with this cab. Same sonics as your Vet-30 and ET-65 choices.. those may be better choices if you want earlier breakup.

mscotts

What?!
Gold Supporting Member
I did the same thing late last year with one of those Mojotone straight front basketweave 212 cabs. WGS Retro 30 paired with a WGS ET90. Very efficient with loads of headroom. Definitely a late breakup kind of rig but I have several mid powered 35-40 watt heads that I run with this cab. Same sonics as your Vet-30 and ET-65 choices.. those may be better choices if you want earlier breakup.
Brian is that you? Scott S here- thanks for the input man!
I have had great results with a few other WGS loaded cabs I have.
I'll bet the ET-90 has plenty of headroom, don't think I'll need that much tho...
The Creambacks I've heard sound REALLY great, esp the H.
Hope you're well my man!

fiftywatt

Brian is that you? Scott S here- thanks for the input man!
I have had great results with a few other WGS loaded cabs I have.
I'll bet the ET-90 has plenty of headroom, don't think I'll need that much tho...
The Creambacks I've heard sound REALLY great, esp the H.
Hope you're well my man!
Yep its me! We should talk live soon.
That cab was originally intended for maximum
efficiency with a Mini Recto head.
Didn't keep the Recto though!

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member

I am.about to try a G12M65 Creamback with a Lynchback in my Stone Age. I need to have a good full bass from this cab too. While retaining that Greenback feel and flavor.
My V30 Bogner has had some speaker changes. Right now I am either going with two G12M65s or a V30 - G12H75 mix.
Problem is that I like lower db speaker so I can turn up a bit like with my 412 that has Greenbacks and Lynchbacks.

ejblives

Silver Supporting Member
I'm running a Splawn 2x12 horizontal cab with the Scumback M/H 75's. Really the best combination of speakers IMO.
Sounds great no matter where I'm standing in relation to the cab.

Last edited:

ufguy73

Silver Supporting Member
when folks say that you can notice the speaker difference when closer to the cab - what exactly does that mean? is it not a pleasing sound? just wondering about playing in a more contained space