Creamy, warm, and big sustained OD

What comes to mind?

I've been looking at the MXR Fet Driver, the Hermida Audio Dover Drive and the Rockbox Boiling Point. Also haven't seen enough videos of it with humbuckers, but the Mosferatu came up when I looked up an old thread. I haven't been 100% convinced by any of the demos I've heard, but those are the best leads I've got so far. Basically I just want something that's going to make humbuckers sound FAT and make single coils sing real smooth, which is what has me interested in those the Dover Drive. Should I just be looking at Tube Driver style pedals? I'm not necessarily chasing an Eric Johnson tone, but I do like how warm and sustained he makes his Strat sound (probably with some help from a Fuzz Face and Marshall, right?).

Pazz

I think you're on the right track looking at Alf Hermida's boxes. I thought Zendrive immediately. Then I saw you're looking at the Dover Drive. The Hermida pedals are thick and creamy. It just depends on how much drive you need.

jlectka

Silver Supporting Member
I've used a couple jetter pedals that have that quality. I've also found the myriad of jetter pedals kind of all have the same character. I got a great sound like that from a Wampler Velvet Fuzz as well.

FuzzyAce

When I saw the thread title first thing I thought was Tube Driver. Rats and Muff types can get you there as well.

Also, combining drives works great. Like a tube driver into a tube screamer. Fuzz face into a tube screamer, etc.

calfzilla

Cynical Hack
The Dover Drive is closer to a fuzz than anything. It can also be a bit... Choosy(?) as far as what amps it likes. It did NOT like my Rx.

You're saying OD, but are you wanting to include higher gain levels than that?

The Mosferatu has quite a few iterations. There was the 4-knob Mosferatu and the Mini-Mosferatu under Hermida. The Lovepedal reissue was an early version Mosferatu schematic. I always heard the Mosferatu described as the Zendrive for single coils, but it had quite a bit of gain to it. It could also get pretty brittle. Would have made an AWESOME punk pedal. Had the perfect blend of bass cut, treble content, and fuzzy gain. It doesn't say "creamy" or "warm" to me. You might get something different out of the 4-knob version, but those are few and far between.

A regular old Zen Drive might be the ticket, or a red Zen Drive. The red has more gain/compression so it will have more sustain. The new gold Zen Drive II might be the warmest of the bunch, but because of the FET setup, the notes decay like an amp, so you lose distortion as the notes ring out. Whether that's desirable or not for you, I don't know.

Maybe a low-gain fuzz? Or a fuzz with the volume rolled back?

Bob T.

Maybe? I just picked one up, and I would describe it as very warm and smooth. Creamy, possibly, but it does have a midrange presence to it that may or may not best meet what you are looking for.

1_7a9834cf-0ca4-4146-a406-133018e352ac.jpg

a1briz

Platinum Supporting Member
Kingsley Pedals. Jester or Minstrel.

I also have an original non lovepedal Zendrive. But my Minstrel was the first to come to my mind. But Kingsley pedals are not cheap.

gearscrubs

I think you're on the right track. I have a Dover Drive and FET Driver and they will both get you there. The Dover is tuned very nicely, but the FET has the separate Treble/Bass controls, which can be helpful, since these can get a little wooly, especially with humbuckers. I'll second the Hotcake recommendation as well - another smooth/fuzzy/warm OD.

Thanks for all the recommendations so far guys. To those asking if I want a good amount of gain - I always like to cover as much ground as possible within one pedal, but I do kinda want to stick within OD territory. A little fuzz is okay, but I've already got a Big Muff TW and a dozen other dedicated fuzz pedals.

I know Gilmour used fuzz and high-gain amps, but man if I could get his big yet smooth lead sound in an OD pedal, that'd be great! That's what led me down the Tube Driver path. But all the Dumblesque recs have me wondering as well...

Fatherflot

Basic Audio's Shore Bird is built on a Rat platform, but gets very creamy and muff-like on high fuzz setting. Even more so with the special mod that John Lyon did on mine. I call it my Rat-Muff mashup. It does everything from light OD to synth-like leads.

TimH

I know you're not chasing the EJ sound but don't forget that the treble and presence in his dirty amp is set to 0 and the tone controls on his Tube Driver are also I think. This is one reason Eric uses a "dirty amp". His EQ is wildly different than his clean or even mid-gain sounds.

A really neat option might be the Lunar Module Deluxe from Skreddy. It's kind of a fuzz/OD box and while based on the Gilmour tones can get you in that neighbourhood in one pedal. Also the old 200lb Violin from Lovepedal and some of the Jetter OD's can get you there from a clean amp.

FuzzyAce

Thanks for all the recommendations so far guys. To those asking if I want a good amount of gain - I always like to cover as much ground as possible within one pedal, but I do kinda want to stick within OD territory. A little fuzz is okay, but I've already got a Big Muff TW and a dozen other dedicated fuzz pedals.

I know Gilmour used fuzz and high-gain amps, but man if I could get his big yet smooth lead sound in an OD pedal, that'd be great! That's what led me down the Tube Driver path. But all the Dumblesque recs have me wondering as well...
If you want Gilmour’s big sound then get a 4-knob Tube Driver and run that into a big clean sounding amp. That's what he does. You’re most of the way there at that point. I can do Gilmour tone all day with mine running into a twin reverb.

Presc

A regular old Zen Drive might be the ticket, or a red Zen Drive. The red has more gain/compression so it will have more sustain. The new gold Zen Drive II might be the warmest of the bunch, but because of the FET setup, the notes decay like an amp, so you lose distortion as the notes ring out. Whether that's desirable or not for you, I don't know.

I would definitely recommend the Red Zen over the Gold Zen II for this application (I have both). The Gold has very low gain and a stiffer feel. The Red absolutely sings.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom