Creat Palomino V32 HALF STACK.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Randell scott, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Randell scott

Randell scott Member

I found a Crate Palomino V32 half stack. It is 519 dollars. They say it has one flaw it gets too hot. And eats tubes. They say it might cause a fire. Will it cause a fire? And is it a good deal at that price. It is in mint condition. How old is it. It looks like it has gold plated knobs. Have any of you had one? Dose it sound great. A lot of people hate the Creat sound. Why? Thanks for the reply.

[​IMG]

2. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

I've owned that exact same setup. I still have the head but sold the cab. The Palominos are incredible amps. They do get hot but a small fan will solve that problem.

I'd say $519 is a tad high but not high enough to be a rip off. $450 would be a little closer to what I'd be willing to pay for it. Not that it's a "cheap" or bad amp, they just don't hold a lot of value for some reason.

Also, you will probably want to change the speakers.

There was a time when Crate made a few great amps. The Palominos are from that era.

3. Randell scott

Randell scott Member

Great. I will realy have to decide if this ampilifer is for me. I love the looks of it. And it looks like it has gold plated knobs. How dose it sound? It will be my first half stack. What about the fan? School me.:huh It looks like a decent price. Others half stacks in that price range is not as big as this model. And do not look as nice. I want it for the sound but at the same time the cosmetics is also a very small factor in the decision making process. I want something reliable and that looks great also. I will have to decide. I realy like this ampilifer and 1 other.

It will be my second ampilifer. How old is this thing? The one I found looks to be in near mint condition. Some one took great care of it.:omg How offten do you have to replace tubes in this thing? I have never had a tube ampilifer before? Is this thing rare being that it is complete? Do you mostly just find the ampilifer head only? Or can you easily find the head and speaker together?

Thanks for the reply.;)

4. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

Neither the head or cabs are that easy to find but I see more of the heads around than the cabs.

By fan I mean just a small little 8" table fan and point it at the tubes.

Those amps sound fantastic. Amazing clean channel, kinda Fenderish, and a great dirt channel. Kinda Marshally....great for classic rock and southern rock. But the speakers don't do it any favors. Most of them came with Celestion 70/80s which imo are some of the worst speakers around. Others came with Tone Tubbys but most came with the 70/80s.

5. B Money

B Money Member

I had one of those cabs. I didn't care for it. Seemed kinda cheaply made and I didn't like the speakers.
    I've heard the Palomino amps are decent.

6. Rumble

Rumble Instrumental Rocker Silver Supporting Member

They can get loud too. Very loud.

7. Link Ramone

Link Ramone Member

Not a Palomino but I had the 50-watt VC 212 and it was a great-sounding amp. Think my kids are still using it. And yes Rumble is right: Very loud.

8. Randell scott

Randell scott Member

Thanks Guys for the reply. I now know that I will take it instead of the other. It is way cheaper than the other one and Looks cool. So My second ampilifer will. be this one. Now I just got to sell some stuff I do not need. And take some more cash on top of that and buy it. Thanks. For the reply. ;) All of you are so smart on the subject of ampilifers. Have owned more ampilifers than I ever have. And you have a lot of usefull info on the subject.You guys are cool.;):omg How often would you have to change the tubes in this thing? Thanks.

9. Randell scott

Randell scott Member

After have a real nice ampilifer. I will never have junk again. I do not have to have the most expensive but will not buy junk. So I ask questions to be sure of the quality, price point, And how reliable is it. And dose it sound great. Again thanks for the reply.

10. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Member

A friend of mine had the combo version and it sounded great. One tip from his experience: if it sounds too bright on a hard floor but the treble knob cuts more frequencies than you would like, instead of turning down the treble try setting the speaker cab on a folded up rug. It damps just the very top of the treble.

11. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

I use the combo version regularly. Had the same issue with the amp over heating. The root cause of the issue is a wire would resistor right behind the power tubes. I moved this resistor to the chassis and haven't had any more issues. Great sounding amp through a celestion classic lead 80

http://music-electronics-forum.com/t11813/

12. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

BTW, I like the head so much I also bought the combo version. And if you want to change speakers, or at least one speaker, the Eminence Swamp Thang turns the amp into a fire breathing dragon. Seriously, it's almost as if that speaker was made for this amp.

13. Randell scott

Randell scott Member

How much is it to change the speakers?

14. zzmoore

zzmoore Member

There are a Zillion used amps for sale that will "do" what that amp does.
    I Can/Enjoy working on amps, and do not mind buying amps with problems, or even amps that do not light up if the price makes sense.....but do you.?
    If the owner of an amp for sale told me that:
    ....."it has one flaw, it gets too hot. And eats tubes.....and it might cause a fire."
    I would probably look at another amp.
    Good Luck either way

15. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

The V32 Palomino is not the typical representation of "the Crate sound" which is usually thin, harsh distortion and sterile cleans.

I had one for a few years and liked it a lot although I did have some concerns. As you've already read about, the amp can get really hot. I never had any component failures personally from this, but it's a bit unnerving.

The amp operates in class A like Vox/Matchless, etc. The cleans aren't too far off (and I've owned both a handwired AC15 and a Bad Cat Hot Cat) and the overdrive, while it can be a bit edgy, also has a nice and full tone to it. As most class A designs seem to do, you'll go through power tubes.

I gigged quite a bit with a 1x12'' Palomino combo and had no issues. Just because it runs hotter than most doesn't indicate that it's a bad amp and the reality is that it sounds as good or better than a lot of amps I've owned in the past. Biggest issue I had with the combo was that the cabinet was cheap and it rattled. Naturally, a seperate head and cabinet would address that.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  16. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

Both of my Palominos run hot as hell. Like I mentioned earlier, an $8 desk fan from Walmart fixed the problem.

17. Lost_Cause

Lost_Cause Member

The black versions of these amps have tone tubby speakers loaded in them. The Palominos were sold exclusively by Guitar Center. I played in a band with a plater who used the combo version of the 30 and it sounded pretty great. Plenty loud.

18. JiMB

JiMB Member

Ok, it's time to use the "Advanced Edit" function to fix the title.
    Sorry, must be my OCD getting to me.

19. Randell scott

Randell scott Member

I love the look. The ampilifer head and speaker looks killer together. And I can do a quick fix and the problem of it being to hot it solved. How often do you change tubes in a ampilifer?

20. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

Depends on use on how long the tubes will last. Before the mod we got about 2 months of pretty heavy use, not we get about 6 months. This crate v32 gets about 20-25 hours a week.