Creating a Domain Name

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Jiffy_Jeff, May 12, 2015.

1. Jiffy_Jeff

Jiffy_Jeff Playin Tunes and Having Fun! Silver Supporting Member

For those of you that are in the business of designing websites or helping clients with domain names, what are your thoughts on creating a domain name?
    Obviously a name that has something to do with your business is best, but....

Is it better to have a short to the point name? Can a long name discourage people from visiting the site even though the target audience would be directed there through business cards that are handed out at local seminars or street fair type situations?

The target audience is more local than going national.

2. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

Register the short & long domain names along with any common misspellings and have them all redirect to one domain.
    For example, if your company name was Charles Meat Packaging I would at least register the following names
    www.charlesmeatpackaging.com
    www.charlesmeat.com
    www.cmp.com
    and have them all redirect to www.charlesmeatpackaging.com

The easier it is to remember and spell the easier it will be for people to get to your site.

3. neoprimitive

neoprimitive Member

What Hoboman said is solid advice. Especially for SEO purposes.
    In my experience, short domain names are the most memorable and can do wonders. domain names with 5 characters or less are the most effective. Short is better.

4. hogy

hogy Member

What about .biz, .net, etc. And foreign domains, .de, .ca, etc.?

5. Jason_77

Jason_77 Member

Good advice so far. I would also add that make sure it will be easy for someone to spell if they only hear the name and not see it spelled out.

6. popinvasion

popinvasion Supporting Member

I do branding work. The domain is very important as is trademarks. There are several things you should look into. Squatters can ruin your business and SEO is super important if you want any presence. Good luck. You can PM me if you need help.

7. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

Make sure that your name doesn't spell something else, for example, pen-island-dot-com! :thud

The old rule used to be name it toward keywords but today, the better strategy is to aim it toward your brand name.

8. Jiffy_Jeff

Jiffy_Jeff Playin Tunes and Having Fun! Silver Supporting Member

Had no idea what a SEO was until I googled it.

Thanks for the tips. And the offer for more info via PM. I will take you up on that.