Creative guitar help, not lessons

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Clifford-D, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

I just wrote a Craigslist ad that has this title.

I described that I was taking a different approach to teaching. I've taught as my sole day job since. '87. So what I want to do is to hang like friends sharing guitar, or me the good guitar player showing a friend some stuff they asked me about. Casual. No set time limit. Fixed rate regardless how long we hang out. No scheduling unless it works better.

Anyway, I posted it and 1/2 hr later I got an interested 65 year old guy, just who I was seeking out. He liked my ad and mentioned it was different than all the others he checks out. Cool. Maybe this is a good way to advertise because I'm tired of schedules lessons. And beginning kids, they can be a solid source for regular income but I did that for 22 years and the relaxed approach just feels right. And I got a student right away. That's hopeful.

Anyone here ever offer professional "relaxed open ended sessions" focusing on playing/jamming, potent theory nuggets that quickly make sense in a usable way but don't hog the time, things like that,, in your teaching gig? Jams, showing a lick, hopping around topics, nothing too serious, but totally pro. Reading eyebrows to gauge the students interest. Brows don't lie.

2. ZeyerGTR

ZeyerGTR Member

I think it's kind of a cool idea. No idea how much interest it would draw or how successful it would be, but seems worth exploring.

3. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

That's how my friend has been operating. It really connects for the older men and women who don't like clock watching. Also, it seems to fit the times more, that is, people doing this are looking for more of a mentor than a teacher and it starts to look like life coaching on guitar. Good intuition discovering this and yes, kids aren't typically very satisfying to teach for a variety of reasons like older players can be.

4. Lef T

Lef T Member

Great idea.
    I've never taught guitar except to a nephew.
    His Mom asked if I was interested.
    I told her it was up to him to come and see me.
    He showed up and we began.
    No charge,but he had to show up and be interested.
    I threw all the regular teaching stuff out the window and soon had him playing
    his first song,a Nirvana tune that he loved.
    Once he realized he could play a song,he took off like a house on fire.
    Non conventional can really work.
    You sneak the theory part in when the kid doesn't notice.

ZeyerGTR likes this.
  5. specialidiot

specialidiot most likely to seceede Gold Supporting Member

Actually, this is my "new" situation with my instructor.

About a year and a half ago he stopped teaching through a local studio and offered a few of his students lessons in his home at a slightly lower price. Since the drive is now about 15 minutes instead of 5 to the studio, I doubled my time to an hour a week.

I started with him about 4.5 years ago when I only knew a couple of chords, and he's the only instructor I've had. In the last couple of years I've gone to some blues jams, have connected with some guys that I now play with and we've done some bar gigs but that's not really my goal. I just want to learn and play well. Playing with others is fun but I'm not looking to play for drunks until 2 in the morning.

Anyway, this summer he told me that I've reached the "end" of his somewhat loose curriculum, and where did I want to go from there?

So what you are doing is what we've been up to. I told him I want to continue to develop my blues chops, and that I'm fairly fascinated with Jimi's rhythm playing which is great with him as he's a real Hendrix student. So every week we jam a bit, I get some guidance on what I'm doing, we work on some Jimi, and I get a dose of theory along with it. He also helps me with songs I'm interested in learning, we'll do some transcribing/etc.

BTW I'm 59.

6. Bluplirst

Bluplirst Supporting Member

If you are that bored and have the time, sure why not? As you know from experience, beginner kids are your bread and butter as a teacher, but a half hour can feel like an eternity. I think you'd still be doing pretty much a standard lesson unless the student is very interested and has more experience than most people who seek out lessons.

PS..who decides when they leave your house? The open ended thing scares me lol!