Creative uses of the HD500(x) FX Loop

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Jdstrat, Feb 21, 2015.

1. Jdstrat

Jdstrat Supporting Member

Recently saw a thread where a couple guys mentioned putting a Zoom MS100bt into the FX loop of their HD500 (I can't for the life of me find that thread again). I use a couple EHX pedals (LPB-1 and SoulFood) and a modded DS-1 in mine for smooth overdrive, crunch and lead tones. I'm curious what others might be doing with theirs (other than 4 cable method). The Zoom pedal idea really got me thinking about maybe adding a couple other pedals into my loop and controlling them with a looper. Then THAT made me wonder what other creative uses people have found for their FX loop. So...

What do you put in the FX loop?
    How do you use it?
    What's the benefit?
    Where do you put your loop block?

2. leftty

leftty Member

Clean boost in the Loop and at the end of the chain, instant adjustable volume boost for leads or clean stuff.

3. Rockfiddler

Rockfiddler Member

I like putting all my external pedals in the loop, since it allows me to hit the 3.5M input, which sounds better to me. I have a Whammy 5, Source Programmable EQ, Sniper GE7, M5(mostly for modulation and doubling), and a VPJR250K. That way I don't have to worry about any tone suck from the VPJR. My loop block placement varies based on the patch, usually keeping it before the amp and any stereo fx arrangements, to preserve stereo path. I will probably move the M5 to the end of my loop so that I can run stereo into the FX return at some point.

4. Rockfiddler

Rockfiddler Member

PEQ, Whammy, and M5 are all MIDI controlled, for the most part.

5. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

I use it for my POG2, turn it on/off with a footswitch, and use it right at the beginning of the chain.

6. RAdkins

RAdkins Member

I just purchased an Eventide H9 to place in the loop. I still need to figure out how to control it with MIDI.

I do wish that there were 2 fx loops due to using the Variax VDI. So, I could use my Tremonti wah.

7. Jdstrat

Do you control those with the HD500?

8. Jdstrat

9. randombastage

randombastage Member

I was using a TwoNotes Torpedo CAB in the loop. I used HD500x amp 'pre' models and set the loop just after the amp block. Makes a big difference using third party ir's instead of the stock Line6 speaker sims.

You could send the T-CAB output into outboard effects before returning it to the POD HD loop return to incorporate some effects to the system if you wanted to.

10. Rockfiddler

Rockfiddler Member

[​IMG]

This is all that goes into the fx loop. MIDI and 1/4" send and return go to the Pod, everything else but the VPJR and power cords stay in the briefcase.

11. jbealsmusic

jbealsmusic Member

I use a guitar loaded with piezo and magnetic pickups, and split the output to 2 1/4" cables. Thus, my presets have 2 signal paths:
    Main Input (mags): Stomp, Amp/cab, Mod, and Delay
    FX-Return (piezo): Whatever DSP is left to make it sound more "acoustic". Usually some combination of Comp, EQ, and Reverb.

Then I don't have to hit a footswitch to change from acoustic to electric tones. I just flick the switch on my guitar.

But I'm still experimenting. If I used the Aux for input 2, I wouldn't even need the FX-loop in the chain.