Crema Wheat or Clapton Tremolux?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by nolenuttt, Apr 19, 2016.

1. nolenuttt

nolenuttt Gold Supporting Member

Looking for a great tweed amp, for possible gigging-Crema Wheat or Clapton Tremolux? The Tremolux has the great trem, the Crema is higher output, but I live in an area where neither is available without purchasing online-Anyone compared the two-Best amp for the job?

2. mattymel

mattymel Supporting Member

Those Clapton tweeds sound decent. Though very expensive and the trem is not very usable. Not much control on it at all. Crema all the way between those two.

guitar29 likes this.
  3. jdh

jdh Supporting Member

It surprises me daily how Lazy J has remained under the radar. Buy the basic amp without reverb or tremelo. If you don't like it give me a call and I'll buy it back from you.

4. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

It's under the radar because it's over most budgets and the wait list is long.

Even the base model works out to $1900 before shipping from UK to US. And that's old pricing info. I'm not sure what it cost now. The Crema Wheat (which is probably most comparable) is at least $150 cheaper.

That said... I would still love to try a Lazy J 20 with VAC and reverb... which would come in around $2375. And I'm tempted, but I'll probably grab a Cortez or Crema Wheat.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  5. jdh

jdh Supporting Member

I will offer 2 additional comments and then leave the debate to others. First, they are more expensive than your estimate. Second, I will never buy another brand of amp at any cost, so my original offer stands: buy it, and if you don't like it I'll buy it back from you.

Dennis

6. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

At full purchase price or discounted for depreciation?

7. Playloudd308

Playloudd308 Supporting Member

I am telling you something, the Creama wheat is a little beast. I just sold mine but I will have another in the near future. (Family obligations and a new house)

8. majorminor

majorminor Silver Supporting Member

Own a Crema Wheat and it's killer. Haven't played the Clapton but quick Googling says it's a fixed bias amp? Anyway if I was lusting over on board bias vary trem I'd be inclined to maybe compare the Fender to the Victoria Chicago Lux. The Tungsten amp is cathode biased and allows swapping of some different power and rectifier tubes at home with no trip to the tech required to get a different volume, feel, and break up point. It's also likely capable of louder and tighter cleans if that matters.

9. nolenuttt

nolenuttt Gold Supporting Member

10. ledzep618

ledzep618 Supporting Member

IMO the Crema Wheat is superior to the Clapton in most every way.

guitar29 likes this.
  11. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

I'd go with the Crema Wheat because it probably has better parts. I bought an EC Tremolux. It was decent but I had a hunch that it could be much better. To my ears, the attenuator was worthless 'cause it ruined the tone IMO. The trem was too fast out the gate with no intensity control. I took the amp to a reputable builder who swapped out the caps and resistors with vintage/NOs ones, and replaced the transformers with vintage Schumacher trannies from the late '50s. The attenuator was removed and an intensity control for the trem was installed. It's been returned to spec and sounds fantastic, but if I had to do it over again I wouldn't invest the kind of money it took to get the amp back to late '50s spec.