Crema Wheat owners, past & present; your favorite speaker in this amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by melodiusthunk, Jun 2, 2015.

1. melodiusthunk

melodiusthunk Bronzd & Supported Member Silver Supporting Member

I have a Crema Wheat with the Scumback M75 25W speaker installed. This amp + a SC tele is a match made in heaven, however, I am thinking that my other guitars (especially humbucker pups) might appreciate a speaker swap that opens up the high and low end a bit more.

Does anyone have experience with other speakers that they really liked in this amp? I've read here that the Celestion G12 H30 70th Anniversary is one possibility, and am curious to learn whether anyone has tried (and liked) any others. I am primarily looking to enhance the ability to get a less mid-centric rhythm tone with the guitar's volume rolled back, without sacrificing the fat, bold lead tones the amp already delivers with the Scumback speaker in it. Maybe I should try the Scumback H75 with the LD option? Also, if I could find an Alnico speaker that would fit without mecahnical interference issues, can anyone comment on what tonal differences I should expect from such a speaker in this amp?

I appreciate in advance any thoughts from experienced users.

2. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

The Red Fang sounded real nice in it. Barely fit though and the bell cover removal (looked like a nightmare) so I sold the speaker and later traded the amp (I got a deal on something I wanted).

3. bearbike137

bearbike137 Supporting Member

Sounds like you would like the Celestion Anniversary G12H30. They sound great in the Crema Wheat - ONCE THEY ARE BROKEN IN. Until they are broken in, there is an annoying high-mid emphasis.

4. Jim Fairbairn

Jim Fairbairn Member

I have the Scumback H75 in mine.

5. John H

John H Silver Supporting Member

Wondering about alnicos...anyone tried a Celestion Gold, ASW Elegante, Eminence EJ, or others?

6. sideman

sideman Member

The Crema Wheat is one of the only amps I've owned that seems to sound great right out of the box. Ordinarily I'm on the speaker and tube quest. But my CW has the factory speaker (and tubes) in it that I've never thought of changing. Usually I favor AlNiCo speakers, but those lo power amps (two 6v6) overdrive enough that a clean, Ceramic speaker is fine.