Crisis (Ecstacy Classic / Deliverance content)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tone slave, Dec 17, 2009.

1. tone slave

tone slave Member

Ok, guys, I need some input. Due to some financial hardship I had to "hock" my Ecstacy Classic-- fortunately to the music store I work at, who graciously allowed me to put it in layaway, with the agreement that I bought it back by the beginning of December. That time has come, and in order for me to fulfill my end of the bargain, I will have to borrow money from a couple of family members, which I will be able to repay in one month. I may, however, still end up having to sell the amp early next year to help pay for a new car, which I'm sorely in need of. But if I do, I will be able to sell it for more than I am buying it back for.

OR---

I can buy a VHT Deliverance for a lot less money. I'll still have to borrow the money to get it, but it's still less money.

Here's the thing-- I LOVE the Ecstacy Classic. It is MY SOUND. I am one of the rare few (apparently) who has finally found their tone. And, if I lose this amp, I will likely never be able to afford another one. I do like the Deliverance-- although it is a completely different animal, and much less versatile (at least in an immediate, channel-switching way), it is definitely an amp I could grow to love, although likely not as much as the Ecstacy.

So-- what would you do? Make the responsible choice and buy the Deliverance, which is great amp but not THE amp for me... or, do the not-so-responsible thing and buy back my true love and hope like hell I don't have to sell it later? This decision is killing me.

2. Seegs

Seegs Member

first off I think you've answered your own question...

if it were me...I would buy the Ectasy back pay it off so it's 100% mine and then figure out what I had to do to get into a new/used car...

I try never to mix my gear wheeling and dealing with my financial/family obligations...so far I havn't had to...

if I sell gear it's to buy other gear...my regular job takes care of my other finances...if it's not enough then I cut down on expenses...work more if I can or look for a better paying job...

Chow,
    Seegs

3. Aruntang

Aruntang Member

+1000!

4. dr.morton

dr.morton Member

+2000

5. Marc Roy

Marc Roy Member

If you love the XTC, then that's the amp you want, money or not. You'll buy something else and just want the old one back. Trust me, I've been there. Better to pay the XTC off and be happy.

6. Bstring

Bstring Member

+3000. Also, do whatever you can to make a little extra dough so you can keep. That amp! If you have finally found " Your Sound " don't get rid of it. :JAM

7. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

CHUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You've owned that Bogner for what, 5-6 years now? Do whatever you can to get that sucker back!!!!

Chris

8. shampoch

shampoch Supporting Member

Owning 10 high end amplifiers (each I love with their own magical offerings), I always ask myself what if I had to keep just one...

My Bogner Ecstasy Classic - Impressive versatile Cleans, Un~friggin~real Blue Channel, Chewy Organic High Gain Blow-Torch Leads.
    Awesome effects loop, sounds great at any volume, built like a tank, looks to kill, lifetime warranty (original owner). It's got a lot going on.

I own a VHT Pittbull Ultralead and 4x12 FB cab which is a down right fantastic amp but not going to cover what the XTC Classic will. At least not to my ears.

Sounds like the making of a... "man I should have never sold that thing" story.

[​IMG]

9. Marc Roy

Marc Roy Member

Yep, and those stories usually suck. I've been tempted to trade my PRS Custom for a Les Paul (because I want that Les Paul tone), but I've had my PRS for ten years, it's a bit worn and plays like butter. I put some new pickups in there and it does the trick nicely. So it's staying. My motto is "Stick to what works".

10. ukslinger

ukslinger Member

What will probably happen if you go with the Deliverance is after your financial situation improves you will go for the Bogner again. Then if you sell the Del. you'll be out even more money in the long run due to the loss in resale value. I've done it several times. You'll spend less money at the end of the day if you save for what you really want.

11. Marc Roy

Marc Roy Member

This.

And I've learned this lesson many times, especially with gear.

12. MBreinin

MBreinin Supporting Member

The Deliverance RULES and will change your style. There is so much it can do, with just a twist of the volume knob. Mine has converted me. Maybe you need a fresh start without the stress of borrowing money and the such to get your amp back. I know I am the only one here advocating for it, but I say get the Deliverance and prepare to be inspired by its simplicity. No channel switching, no loop, just TONE.

Mike

13. tone slave

tone slave Member

Aaargh... only one person advocating the "responsible" solution? And even that one based on tonal preferences rather than responsibility? You guys are as sick as I am!!! ;)

14. ellpolo

ellpolo Member

If you get rid of the amp its going to make playing guitar a lot less fun for you.

Ever since i recorded an album with an orange rockerverb 50 its ALL i've wanted.. i've tried dozens of other amps, including a deliverance... Even my 78' marshall JMP which to some is THE amp for rock tones, still doesnt cut it. I will not be fully happy until i own a rockerverb. i've spent thousands dilly dallying with other amps hoping that they will satisfy my orange craving, but they wont.

Dont make the same mistake as me... work some overtime and be done with it. keep the XTC!

15. ChicagoFraize

ChicagoFraize Member

Keep the XTC if you are able....and dont' look back.

16. kram21

kram21 Member

keep the xtc-it will probably save you money longterm!!!!

17. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

You ask a den full of enablers what to do, they are going to tell you to keep the XTC.

Having owned both those amps, I will also tell you - find a way to keep the XTC. It's your amp, and you already know it.

18. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

never ever sell your tone

19. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Silver Supporting Member

I'll take the financial angle. I obviously unaware of your financial position or credit, but I would try to put it on a credit card with a decent interest rate and pay it off slowly.

On the other hand, you can let it go and then work your ass off and be patient until you can buy another outright. If you're that sure that it's your final amp then just be patient and do anything you could to squirrel away some cash until another comes up.

20. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Do you still have an Egnater Rebel 20? If so, maybe the most responsible thing to do would be to just use that from now on? :)