Critique please

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by 94prs22, Jun 15, 2005.

1. 94prs22

94prs22 Member

Would you folks be willing to offer your objective opinion of my arrangement, recording, mastering of this track? It's all done in my basement to a Boss 1180 with all guitar tones recorded direct through a Hi-Mu 5.5 tube amp (via it's speaker sim, direct out). The fuzz tones have a PE Experience in front of the amp. The guitar is a ES-345 (varitone bypassed for the rhythm fuzz guitar and lead and the the varitone on 1 for the clean rhythm guitar). Specifically do you think the bass and bass drum are distinct enough and do you think the lead fuzz tone is too thin? Feel free to criticize the vocals but I'll tell you right up front that I can't sing so also feel free to ignore them (yes I know they're out of tune in places).

As a disclaimer since political discussions are forbidden on the board, this tune does include left leaning, populist subject matter. I didn't write it and this is not intended to start any sort of political discussion.

Thanks
    Brandon

Thanks

2. lhallam

lhallam Member

There's something I like about it, including the vocals.

Add a dash of reverb on the vocal then bring them up a hair, as the mix gets thicker they get lost

Not sure, maybe the whole mix needs about 2:1 compression?

Lead gtr is too stark, add some reverb or a little echo. I prefer some vibrato on those held notes.

Needs a few more drum licks

3. 94prs22

94prs22 Member

Thanks man, I never even thought about adding an echo to the fuzzy lead. As far as vibrato, I was using the bigsby wiggling virtually the whole thing, but it either got lost in the fuzz or I wasn't wiggling wide enough.

Thanks for the vocal tips too, I just don't see myself as a singer so I haven't ever really learned how to make the best vocal track I can.

I also should have mentioned the drum is a simple track constructed with a BR-770. I was trying to keep the whole thing stark but when I listen I think it's too stark too.
    Brandon

4. allthumbs

allthumbs Member

I agree. You have a very distinctive voice, you should develop it, you sound good.