• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Critique This Setlist For Tonight

Baminated

It's at a venue with a wide age range, somewhat trendy, craft beers, etc . . .

SET 1
Jenny
3Am
Wonderwall
The Middle
Slide (Goo Goo)
Hard To Handle
Shine (collective soul)
Everything You Want
Use Somebody

SET 2

Mustang Sally
Jessies Girl
Two Princes
Smooth / Need to Know
Santeria
Waiting In Vain
Drive
Crazy (Gnarls Barkley)
What Would You Say

SET 3

Smooth Criminal
Ants Marching
Amber / Red Wine
Let’s Get It On
Where The Streets Have No Name
Basket Case
What I Like About You
Hows It Gonna Be
Break Even

Set 4

My Own Worst Enemy
Down
Message In A Bottle
I Shot The Sheriff
Love Song
Your Love
Are You Gonna Be My Girl
Fight For The Right
In The End
Purple Rain

Last edited:

DGTCrazy

Mod Squad
Staff member
I had to walk away for a second when I got to Mustang Sally.......:rotflmao

Seriously....who is your crowd, and where are you playing? My gig tonight is for a bunch of older rich folks at a Yacht Club.....so our Set-List had to be tweaked a ton to get it into shape. Your list wouldn't fly for us...and that's my point.

There's some fun stuff on your list however. I'd love to do Let's Get it On and Purple Rain!

EDIT: Sorry...I didn't see the "Wide Age Range" comment..Doh!. Seem's to be enough for everyone to enjoy.

Baminated

I had to walk away for a second when I got to Mustang Sally.......:rotflmao

Seriously....who is your crowd, and where are you playing? My gig tonight is for a bunch of older rich folks at a Yacht Club.....so our Set-List had to be tweaked a ton to get it into shape. Your list wouldn't fly for us...and that's my point.

There's some fun stuff on your list however. I'd love to do Let's Get it On and Purple Rain!

EDIT: Sorry...I didn't see the "Wide Age Range" comment..Doh!. Seem's to be enough for everyone to enjoy.
Dude, we play mustang with this hyperfunk james brown groove - people really like it - plus they let me go nutso w/some extended solos !

stratotastic

Not sure how much flexibility you have to change the set list seeing as the gig is tonight, but what strikes me is that there is a lotta oooooooooold songs on that list, and nothing to really get people moving. But it's all gonna depend on the crowd. That'll probably be appealing to the 40+ crowd mostly, which is likely to be less than half the folks there (but I don't know the place). If it were us, I'd throw in a whole lot more modern and danceable stuff.

Probably not much you can do about it now, seeing as the gig is tonight, so the best thing is to just play it and observe your crowd and tweak for next time.

Baminated

Not sure how much flexibility you have to change the set list seeing as the gig is tonight, but what strikes me is that there is a lotta oooooooooold songs on that list, and nothing to really get people moving. But it's all gonna depend on the crowd. That'll probably be appealing to the 40+ crowd mostly, which is likely to be less than half the folks there (but I don't know the place). If it were us, I'd throw in a whole lot more modern and danceable stuff.

Probably not much you can do about it now, seeing as the gig is tonight, so the best thing is to just play it and observe your crowd and tweak for next time.
Actually the younger crowd responds well to the 2000's tunes on the list like Lit, 311, Kings Of Leon, Vertical Horizon, Jet, Gnarls Barkley, The Script, alot of the 90's stuff on that list , And even stuff like Jessies Girl, Jenny, & the outfield.

Some tunes are just timeless classics and work in nearly every room/age range.

OTOH - I've been trying to get the band to do some current covers to no avail. However, there are alot of tunes up there pretty up tempo, though man

Last edited:

Guitar Josh

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Supporting Member
It looks like the setlist 10000 other cover bands will play tonight.

Not meant to be an insult at all, just being honest with you.

Baminated

It looks like the setlist 10000 other cover bands will play tonight.

Not meant to be an insult at all, just being honest with you.
Yes it is def "safe", that's why i have my jazz/fusion improv trio for sanity to balance it out ! You are def 100% accurate, though.

mcdonaldkd

I'd be interested in hearing how it went over, but I'll bet your audience will like it a lot! Those are fun, well-known songs that women like. You'll have people dancing, drinking and enjoying their Saturday night - just what you are being paid to do.

Good luck and, please, report back tomorrow.

stevel

It's at a venue with a wide age range, somewhat trendy, craft beers, etc . . .

My biggest critique is that it's the same basic set I was playing 12 years ago.

With "classics" like Jenny, or Mustang Sally, I don't see that as a problem. With more recent song that have become "classics", like 3AM or Smooth, I don't see that as a problem either (though Smooth is a bit overplayed).

Things like Shine, Slide, or My Own Worst Enemy, they're a bit old (even though they're from the 3AM time period). I would be working to replace them with more current tunes.

I would bet you have played Kryptonite, and Low (and maybe Learn to Fly - Foo Fighters)

If you've got a singer that can pull off Jessie's Girl and Message in a Bottle, you should be able to do pretty much any material out there.

My bigger complaint would be with the order. IME, putting Purple Rain at the end is a bad idea unless you're playing a place that stays packed until closing.

What we used to to was a "warm up" set - for the late diners and pool players, etc. Then we did a "high energy dance" set for the main crowd (which seemed to be 11 to 1) and then a "party" set for the hangers on who were getting wild.

A slow dance song in the middle, or two on third and two thirds through each set were always good.

As always, YMMV. Have fun.

I'd certainly enjoy your show though :)

Steve

Baminated

I'd be interested in hearing how it went over, but I'll bet your audience will like it a lot! Those are fun, well-known songs that women like. You'll have people dancing, drinking and enjoying their Saturday night - just what you are being paid to do.

Good luck and, please, report back tomorrow.
Thanks, I will report tommorrow - it's our first gig at a really nice place, big crowd , etc . ..

fetchmybeer

Gold Supporting Member
It's a safe setlist.

Personally, I HATE Two Princes with a passion. You could take that song, the other song by the Spin Doctors that sounds the same, and that What's Goin' On song by 4 Non Blondes and fit them with some concrete boots for all I care.

But other than that, a good and safe setlist. Can your singer hit the notes in the Outfield song?

Baminated

. Can your singer hit the notes in the Outfield song?
The drummer is the highest tenor - so he has that one. We tune flat from jump, and then we move it down a step - so he can hit it 1&1/2 steps down - LMAO !
I'm a high reg baritone, and have to move it down a 4th when I do it unplugged - actually doesn't sound "too" dorky

Lance Romance

I see a missed opportunity in set 3:

SET 3

Smooth Criminal
Ants Marching
Amber / Red Wine
Let’s Get It On
Basket Case
What I Like About You
Hows It Gonna Be
Break Even

You will likely have a packed dance floor during Let's get it on, but you will loose them all with the long un-dance-able intro to Where the streets have no name.

My bands rule is, during a slow song with a packed dance floor, hit them immediately (and I mean immediately) with a fast tune that has a good groove. You will loose a few of the dancers but will retain a fun dance floor.

Baminated

I see a missed opportunity in set 3:

SET 3

Smooth Criminal
Ants Marching
Amber / Red Wine
Let’s Get It On
Basket Case

What I Like About You
Hows It Gonna Be
Break Even

You will likely have a packed dance floor during Let's get it on, but you will loose them all with the long un-dance-able intro to Where the streets have no name.

My bands rule is, during a slow song with a packed dance floor, hit them immediately (and I mean immediately) with a fast tune that has a good groove. You will loose a few of the dancers but will retain a fun dance floor.
ahhhh - you are correct ! - lemme switch that - THANKS !!!

Maybe I'll switch Amber w/ LGIO ????

dancehall

I wouldn't call it a safe set... I for one would certainly leave before you got through that first set. But I'm sure you know your audience.

Some overlap with our sets tonight. I gotta sing the red ones. We are playing a crab shack in rural MD tonight. No shame in covers: people dance, people drink, we have fun and get paid. edit: sorry I did not critique your list much. I think its fine!

[FONT=&quot]SET 1[/FONT]
Midnight Rider
Drive My Car
Gimme 3 Steps
Back in the USSR
Someone Like You
Joker Medley
500 Miles
Anyway You Want It
Crazy Little Thing Called Love
If I Die Young
Who Says You Can’t Go Home
Hard Day’s Night
My Favorite Mistake
Hurt So Good
Forget You
Little Miss Can’t Be Wrong

[FONT=&quot]SET 2[/FONT]
One Way Or Another
Kryptonite
Goodbye To You
Footloose
I Want You To Want Me
Zombie Medley
Just a Kiss
Folsom Prison Blues
Redneck Woman
Michael Medley
Basket Case
Bobbie McGee
Love Shack
Jailhouse Rock
Suspicious Minds
Hit Me With Your Best Shot
Brown Eyed Girl
Late in the Evening
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]SET 3[/FONT]
Rolling in the Deep
Wild Night
Alone
One I Love
You’re Gonna Make Me Lonesome
I’m Looking Through You
Shooting Star
Amie
All For You
Only Wanna Be With You
Chain Gang
Found Out About You
Don’t Speak
Margaritaville
Suffragette City
He Wasn’t

pbradt

At least you don't have Brown-Eyed Girl...

But the minute you started THAT SONG...I'd be headed for the exit...

Baminated

I wouldn't call it a safe set... I for one would certainly leave before you got through that first set. But I'm sure you know your audience.
I actually wouldn't blame you - i have been at odds with the band trying to get us to do more 2000's dance stuff we can funk out, plus some newer pop groovin tunes for the very reason you stated above !

Front man will not learn any new lyrics, and the keyboardist has a great job and just wants to play tunes he wants to play, case closed :-(

So . . . I have picked up Are you gonna be my girl (2003), Ants Marching (95), Smooth (99) /need to know (2000), and two princes (1992) so far . Plan on picking up some lady gaga, jessy J, timberlake, etc . . . I have found ways to move thiose tunes down a few keys and sound halfway decent

Pretty much looking to start another band and be "too busy" for this one

Anyway, the agent who booked this is a setlist Nazi, and approved our setlist ???? I actually couldn't believe it

Trending Topics

Top Bottom