Crooked Pickup - how to fix

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jeffwith1f, Sep 13, 2008.

1. jeffwith1f

jeffwith1f Member

OK

I have a bridge pickup that is sitting slanted too much forward. It is a humbucker and is adjusted by 2 screws left and right mid pickup.

is this a common issue and how do I fix it
    thought I'd ask for advice, but I'm going to take the strings off, pop the guard off and have a look.

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

i use a block of foam under one side of the pickup to push it into the right angle.

3. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

If you are not offended by slight imoerfections you can just stuff a piece of black sponge in from the top to force it into level. It will never be level, on its own, if the top of the pup ring does not parallel the strings.

4. jeffwith1f

jeffwith1f Member

yeah, I've got the guard off. (there is no ring for this pickup. oddly only the front one has one, which sits fine)

it looks like at the height the p/u was set the springs were starting to buckle, and did so in a way that had caused a lean forward. if anything I want it to tilt the other way to match the break of the strings down the neck (it's a gibby).

I tried loosening/lowering the pu and twisting the springs and then retightening.
    seems to be better now, and yes, if I really want to force it I could try jamming something in there to push the post screws back a bit.

maybe I should just do that now while I have the guard and strings off....let me look around to see if I have anything at hand I can cram in my cavity

OK, that was a set up.

5. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

I had some pickups like that (they're usually like that in guitars with slanted rings that don't exactly match the slant of the strings. I just bended the tabs to make them level. Only took a couple minutes per pickup. They're keeper pickups, so I had no problem doing that, but if I wanted to sell them, I could easily bend the tabs back.

-Austin

6. jeffwith1f

jeffwith1f Member

fixed it 80% by making some adjustments underneath. no foam blocking or anything. I'll look into that if it's still bugging me.

I found that that tone before was a bit dark and bass heavy, I'm hoping that improves now that the pickup is sitting mostly flat. (could just be the guitar/pickups)