Cross Canadian Ragweed

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Mpcoluv, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Mpcoluv

Mpcoluv Supporting Member

These guy put out a lot of great music several years ago.
    I wonder if their name hampered their success?

buddaman71 likes this.
  2. specialidiot

specialidiot most likely to seceede Gold Supporting Member

here he is playing a beat up PRS..... I have this tune on a Ray Wylie Hubbard record.

3. 27sauce

27sauce Member

I think, like a lot of regional TX/OK acts, they had a built in ceiling to their appeal/reach/success. Where else could they go, what else could they do?

buddaman71 and Bankston like this.
  4. Bankston

Bankston Supporting Member

They were a great band but I agree with my fellow Texan, 27sauce, it's hard to sustain long-term success if you're not playing the Nashville game.

Having said that, I love this song:

ggwwbb, billboy73 and buddaman71 like this.
  5. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

97 or 98 my band at the time, The Hillbilly Love Gods, played at the famous Tumbleweed Calf Fry in Stillwater OK. (About 10,000 or so that year) We played right before the late great Chris LeDoux.

We played a fun set, and as we were pulling our gear off stage, this surfer kid with long blond hair tapped me in the shoulder and asked if I was the guy with the green guitar? (I played a trans green Tom Anderson back then)

I said yes, he said, “you’re awesome, my band is playing the after party at the county barn. Would you come jam with us? All my original tunes have 3 chords.”

I said, “heck yea!” About 3000 kids showed up to that after party and, tho the guys were still learning, it was instantly obvious that the kid was a star and killer natural songwriter.

I basically played one of their first lager shows before I even knew it was Cody and the boys from OK.

I was good friends with the guys from the great OK RedDirt band The Great Divide, who were kind of CCRs mentors. I’ve played many shows with those guys and many of the Texas acts of the late 90s/00s. Pat Green/Jack Ingram/Lee Roy Parnell and many others.

love that music, and CCR has such instantly identifiable songs and sound. I actually live in Yukon, OK just down the road from Grady Cross’ awesome music dive bar Grady’s 66.

So many good times and countless stories.

derekd, ggwwbb, noley and 7 others like this.
  6. Mpcoluv

so great songs and sound don’t matter out side TX/OK?
    So you are saying it still takes a,big record company to be a national hit?

7. 27sauce

27sauce Member

Actually, I meant they didn’t really have the songs to transcend the scene/movement.

Their mass success here probably hurt them in the big picture. It’s difficult to be a huge draw here and play small clubs everywhere else. Yo either have to have the persistence to want to work the markets or music strong enough to do the work for you.

8. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

On the flip side, I know guys who just wanna play what and where they like. Not everyone wants to be Tim McGraw or Garth Brooks.

27sauce likes this.
  9. gdomeier

gdomeier Silver Supporting Member

10. Mpcoluv

It seems to me the music was pretty damn strong, but maybe the management or the business sense was lacking.

buddaman71 and 27sauce like this.
  11. 27sauce

27sauce Member

I bet Cody would like to be one of those guys. He got too big to go back to dives and didn’t stay big enough to keep in the big rooms. It really puts you in a corner of festivals and big lineup events.

buddaman71 likes this.
  12. louderock

louderock Member

I think that's it. I feel the same about Reckless Kelly. It's good stuff but it's probably not going further than where it is. Red Dirt is its own thing.

buddaman71 likes this.
  13. 27sauce

27sauce Member

It’s hard to gauge. They had big, successful albums. The Texas market is so big that you could have an album that only sells in TX and makes it to the top ten country charts, or even the over all charts. It happens all the time. Aaron Watson had a number 1 country album not long ago... Majors then sign them up(josh Abbott) and spit them out after they don’t perform in the big picture. It’s weird.

buddaman71 likes this.
  14. Mpcoluv

Is anything Cody did post CCR worth buying?
    Also what was his rig? He got a fairly good angus young type tone....

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  15. Mpcoluv

After listening to live from Tulsa, I guess they were way too rock for Nashville. I can’t believe I didn’t latch onto them when they were a band.
    I’m glad I finally found them. Still looking for a rundown on Cody’s gear...

16. billboy73

billboy73 Member

Haven't listened to them in a long time, but used to dig a couple of their albums when I was in a constant search for new alt-country to listen to. The genre (I know they are more considered Red Dirt, but that is basically alt-country) sort of has a ceiling built in, with it's too country for rock radio and to rock for country sound. At their height though, they were pretty big without being too mainstream.

17. Mpcoluv

I just watched an interview of Cody from early this year at Key West.
    Basically they got pretty big and then fell apart. They were offered a tour with Miranda Lambert but Cody refused to do it.
    If you are trying to sell your music, why not play before giant crowds?
    Unless the tour promoter tries to tell you what songs to play.
    I imagine if they went on that tour their trajectory would have continued upward.
    Btw it looks like Cody is playing through some sort of PRS amp now.

18. 27sauce

27sauce Member

Miranda Lambert has been taking out the big Tx/Ok act of the day for a while now, which is pretty cool. It seems something always happens. Canada, Turnpike, Cojo...

The Departed haven’t toured with her? I could have sworn they did. Maybe not.

From what the Cody Johnson guys have told me, she’s given them carte blanch. Treated well, long sets...

I think Johnson will be the first regional act in a while to really break out nationally. But, I wouldn’t be surprised if it fizzled. Wouldn’t be the first.

19. Wyatt Martin

Wyatt Martin Member

When they split I recall the bass player was the first to say he wanted to take a break as he was just starting a family and maybe had a parent or grandparent he was going to help care for. Or at least that was the polite way to put it, I don't know. I fully expected them to continue at some point but that's probably been 10 years ago now and their original college aged audience is turning 40 and up now. They were though very popular on a regional level and were in my opinion one of the founding fathers of that red dirt movement era that inspired a lot of bands to be formed in the region. It all made you forget Nashville even mattered.

In my opinion I'm sure Nashville didn't want them because they wrote their own songs and played their own instruments. No money to be made for song writers and studio musicians.

20. Mpcoluv

Cody sort of insinuated it was Grady Cross.....