Cross-posted: Tell me about the Evidence Siren speaker cable

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Random Hero, May 24, 2008.

1. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

Been thinking of picking one of these up for a while, but before I do, I want to hear your experiences.

It seems there are two camps when it comes to speaker cable; simply, those who believe they hear a difference and those who hear none at all. I'm in the second camp as I believe there's a difference.
    I currently own a George L's and Planet Waves cable. I used the Planet Waves for the longest time, before switching to the George L's about a year back. I never had any problems with the Planet Waves but when I changed to the George L's it seemed to sound better. Fast foward a year later, and my opinion has done a complete 180 - the George L's sounds thin and brittle to me now, with the PW sounding thicker and more balanced. This is particularly evident with the Bogner, which sounds utterly glorious either way, but has even more thickness with the PW. Now, some may say it's a placebo effect, but I'm sure there's a difference.

On to the original point of the post, you guys that are using the Siren, what are you comparing it to, and what did you find in comparison? Worth the money? I mean, I know that question is subjective but even so...

Anyway, thanks for any responses.

2. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Im finding it increasing hard to trust my own ears too. If at one point one cable sounded better then a while later and the other sounded better do cables really make a difference? Probably but perhaps other things changed than are more important. So what changed?-it wasnt the cables. Perception changed or other conditions changed or both! Heck it took me a long while to realise my amps sounded noticably different on dry days(low humidity) vs high humidity days.

I recently came to the conclusion my 4 main amps are set up great -they all sound very good to me. If for some reason one of them doesnt sound good to me in the future Im going to try to -do nothing - at least for a while in case Ive gone ear schizo/fickle again. I know this is somewhat off topic but your comment about the cables hit something thats bothered me more and more recently. I feel like a dog chasing my tail sometimes!

This isnt going to stop me from trying to improve my tone but hopefully I will pause when things flip flop tonally for me if you know what I mean.

Oh yeah-Im sticking to decent 16-14 gauge speaker cables -gauge depending on length. Bob

3. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

I know what you mean. What do you find the differences between gauges of speaker cable are? Darker/brighter tone?

4. rockon1

rockon1 Member

None that Ive tried to percieve. I just use a heavier gauge on longer runs to minimize any possible loss. Most of my cables are 6-10 ft 16 gauge. I have a 25 ft that I made from 14 gauge. Decent jacks and decent suitable gauge wire is all I care about.

For a while I got into the audiophile cables for my stereo. Audioquest,Tara labs. Perhaps the rest of my equipment wasnt good enough but I didnt hear much (if any) of a difference over decent 12 gauge wire.

Doesnt mean there isnt a difference however I dont want to go searching in that direction for my less than "Hi Fi" guitar rigs. Bob

5. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

I love the EA Siren II. It is a fantastic upgrade. It adds more bloom and clarity.

6. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Your subject was the EA Siren II, so sticking to that it's a great cable. I A/B'd several head-to-cab cables and chose the Siren. There is definitely a noticeable improvement and it's one of the best accessory investments I've made for my rig. In fact, I'm ordering a Siren II wiring harness for my internal cab wiring soon that way it'll be the same wire from the amp output all the way to my speakers. It may improve even more, or it may be subtle. Either way, I'm a believer in the stuff.

What were the differences? Stronger output/volume, increased chord clarity, better high-low balance, punchier - tighter low end, clearer high with no harshness or ice-pick.

7. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Damn you man! lol! I cant leave anything well enough alone. I still have an original set of Tara labs Phase II cables around. Solid core,phase aligned,blah,blah ,blah.... I have used they in 20 years sooo.... after hooking up a couple 1/4 ends to them I A/B'd it againt my Monster cable.

OK A/B comparisions are difficult because of the lag involved and because in this instance it wasnt a blind test.Having someone else switch things without your knowledge is really the way to go. At any rate I'd say the Tara cable gave me slightly stronger bass response,and a slightly fatter overall tone ,perhaps better attack. I seemed to like it better. This isnt definitive really unless I try it blind. The difference wasnt night and day but I think it was noticable. The mind can play funny tricks on you. I will try to blind test them soon. Bob

8. jamison162

Main thing is to A/B with a fresh set of ears, not after band rehearsal. Write down your initial thoughts and impressions and stick to them. Going back-n-forth a few times and you only confuse your ears and you might as well call it quits.

9. jspax7

jspax7 Member

I'm considering an upgrade, but want to hear some thoughts on the performance value.

Is it worth the $ to upgrade to a mid-priced cable?

I'm not interested in the ridiculously priced stuff that some guys are hyping.

10. rockon1

rockon1 Member

I think a blind test is the real answer- if its a subtle difference that is. I do like the idea of writing down initial impressions. However if my ears get confused after a few back and forths the difference may not be worth the effort IMO.
    As I have nothing to lose I'll give it a shot your way when I get a chance.

As for A/B ing things I try to do so at a moderate not loud volume with fresh ears too.

As for blind tests I like to do them with tubes also sometimes. Speakers on the other hand are much more apparent.

On a side not perhaps my brutilized ears just arent up to the task. Not everyone can be a critical listener. Wont stop me from trying though. Bob

11. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

Thanks for the responses guys. I thought this thread might sink but it's provided me with quite a bit of info.

The thing is, I'm going to be purchasing either a 2x12 or 4x12 from Bogner in the next few weeks and want to get the absolute best from my rig, so seeing as I use the EA Lyric HG for guitar --> amp and very much enjoy it, I figured I would benefit from the speaker cable too.

The EA Lyric HG is a VAST improvement from the standard Planet Waves cable - which goes without saying - so I would expect the same from the speaker cable.

Any other responses would be great.

12. jamison162

I think you should go for it. All you need is one cable unless you run more than one head at a time. Get the length to work with all your amp/cab setups.

When I was A/Bing speaker cables, we had a Mulder, Siren II, Horizen, and a Canare. One would switch cables, the other play and listen and try to guess. The Horizen cable was suprisingly darn good and very close to the Siren, no joke. It had this really stong and full mid push which was nice. The Mulder had to much high-end for my ears. The Siren was perfect and was a huge upgrade tone wise from the Canare speaker cable I'de been using.

13. lukeII

lukeII Supporting Member

Random Hero

I AB'd the EA Siren II and the schultz kabel speaker cable. I couldn't here any real difference between the two (Both sounded great). Since you are in Europe I would recommend you get the Schultz as it is about 1/2 the price of the Evidence Audio Siren and sounds exactly the same.

I agree that the EA stuff is great, a friend of mine is a dealer here in Paris and I got to check out all of their cable including the Source power cable. Among the EA cables I tried my favorite sounding cable was the Lyric HG but you would be wasting your cash buying the Siren over the Schultz Kabel speaker cable.

14. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I'm very interested to hear what improvement, if any, the internal wiring provides.

I use a Lyric HG for my guitar > pedals, and original Sirens for my speaker connections. I compared the Siren to a few other brands and it was easily the nicest sounding to my ears, and for what I prefer, so the choice was easy.

Tony at EA told me that the difference between the Siren and Siren II is a kind of like the difference between the Lyric and Lyric HG. He said it wasn't a drastic difference, just an incremental improvement.

If you like the Lyric HG, you'll surely like the Siren II.

I've also got my pedal board wired with the EA Monorail cable and George L plugs. Another big improvement over George L cables for my pedal board.

15. devilrob1979

devilrob1979 Member

I agree 100%. Our ears often hear what our brains tell them to. If we know we're listening to an upgraded speaker cable our brains will want to go with the "higher quality" product. Have a friend swap cables and let your ears do their work.

16. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

There's probably some truth to that, but then how do you explain what happens when you are comparing 3 high end cables with each other, and they clearly don't sound the same, and you easily prefer one over the other 2?

How is your brain tricking you then?

And if all the high end cables sound undeniably better than another lower end cable? Is that a trick of the mind too?

We all hear many differences between amps and pickups and pedals and so on, so why do you think we can't possibly hear the difference between one cable and another?

17. devilrob1979

devilrob1979 Member

I wouldn't know, I've never been able to afford three high end cables. BUAHAHAHAHA! In a blind test you wouldn't know which cable was which so if you chose a high end one then that's the one you like. If you're only testing high end cables you wouldn't have an issue but a blind test is always the most honest.

18. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I couldn't afford 3 either, :D but I found a dealer that was willing to send me 3 cables to test before I bought, so I only had to pay for return shipping and then he sent me a new one of my choice.

I have very specific range of personal tonal preferences, and I know exactly when a piece of gear in the chain is delivering what I want/prefer or not. I base my decisions on the resultant tone and not which piece of gear cost the most.

19. devilrob1979

devilrob1979 Member

That makes a lot of sense. I was stating my opinion on a speaker cable that was already bought and paid for. I can find added value in added money spent if I allow myself to.

20. rockon1

rockon1 Member

The blind test removes any preconcieved notions your brain may have about a particular brand of high end cable. When the differences are less than subtle its less of an issue.

On a side related note its interesting to see how the ears/brain react to sound and adjust.
    Recently I A/B'd my Rivera with my Supersonic. I recently put a G12-65 in the Chubster and run a 1x12 with a G12-65 in it to boot. The Supersonic is running thru a G12K-100 loaded cab. At first the Rivera seemed a notch above the supersonic on the OD channel. Clearly I seemed to prefer it. A bit later I switched to the Supersonic. It sounded good but not as meaty as the Chubster. About a 1/2 later I went back to the Chubster and to my surprise it sounded not as good anymore- boxy and congested. Nothing was changed and after a bit this seemed to dissappear. Not sure where Im going with this but its interesting how perception changes like that......

So anyways I think I can hear the difference between the Monster cable and the Tara Labs cable I made. Im still using the Tara. I'd still like to blindly A/B it though. Bob