Crowes $hakeYourMoneyMaker, your top 3 songs...?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by lavinci, Sep 16, 2019.

1. 27sauce

27sauce Member

Have you heard the Mr Crowe’s Garden demos/shows from ‘87/‘88?

Remarkable how they did a stylistic 180 in a year, whatever the motivation...

russiancrowe and Moby Dick like this.
  2. PdL

PdL Silver Supporting Member

Speaking of embarrassing, (at best,) Rich Robinson has said a few times that early on in the Bros. Robinson relationship w/ Rick Rubin he (Rubin) advised them to name their band The Kobb Kounty Krowes. Probably safe to say Rick didn’t run that one by many of his rapper buddies @ Def Jam prior to posing it to Rich & Chris.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    27sauce likes this.
  3. 27sauce

27sauce Member

Rubin had some pretty wild plans for the Roy Orbison album that never was. Dark material, satanic themes...I kinda wish it was made! Damn Wilburys! Oh, and untimely death.

PdL and Echoplexi like this.
  4. Moby Dick

Moby Dick Member

Yes I have.
    To me it sounds like stripped down roots rock.
    Albeit unpolished and simple compared to the full sound with the addition of keys.

5. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

Seeing things
    Stare it cold
    Twice as hard

Such a good record, with more to follow.

Bluesful and Moby Dick like this.
  6. killer blues

killer blues Member

This

PdL and Moby Dick like this.
  7. PdL

PdL Silver Supporting Member

I’m a longtime fan of the 1989 > 1997-era TBC but have always taken Chris Robinson’s statements w/ a grain of salt. The guy talks so much sh*t it gets tough to sort out what’s completely fabricated vs. an “expanded” version of the truth vs. what really happened. While there’s no shortage of Chris’ half-truths on record, one his least believable statements has to be the one about the “natural & organic evolution” of the music penned by the Robinson brothers that they played in Mr. Crowes Garden to the Chris & Rich penned songs on SYMM.

According to Chris, both he & Rich were devotees of the Let it Bleed > Exile-era Rolling Stones long before they formed Mr. Crowes’ Garden, and they were already writing originals in the vein of the late 60s > early 70s Stones during the Mr. Crowes’ Garden days. Without being on the receiving end of some very strong suggestions, strong advising, etc. from someone in the music industry there’s just no way Chris and/or Rich would have suddenly decided to (or even had the skills @ that time to do so) switch from writing Mr. Crowes’ Garden-type songs to ones that sound like Jagger/Richards
    originals that didn’t quite make the on Sticky Fingers or Exile. I don’t buy Chris’ version of those events for a second.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    27sauce likes this.
  8. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

Hard To Handle, Twice As Hard and She Talks To Angels. I love that record. I don't think they ever topped it.

9. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Listen to Warpaint.

I still think that's the best Crowes record.

10. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

I'll see about that. Thanks. I got turned off to The Crowes after Amorica, which I disliked, but have certain albums after that.

Bluesful likes this.
  11. Bluesful

Their last 2 records - Warpaint and Before the Frost...Until the Freeze are both fantastic.

They lean more towards Americana than the harder rock of their early period.

12. Blackmore's Hat

Blackmore's Hat Member

1. Jealous Again
    2. Twice as Hard
    3. Hard to Handle

13. ggwwbb

ggwwbb Member

Twice As Hard
    Struttin' Blues
    Sister Luck

14. sink

sink Member

"Struttin' Blues," "Stare It Cold," "Thick n' Thin"

Warpaint
    is probably their last good album, for me, and it was stretching it. The feel and drive the band had pretty much disappeared as that album and Before the Frost... essentially became prequels to the Chris Robinson Brotherhood.

Gorman said the other day he would not be surprised if the Robinsons got back together in the near future. The Magpie Salute has a new album next month and Chris has done nothing but run his mouth about the Crowes so who knows. They are one of my favorite bands but with Gorman basically out, I am happy with the solo work everyone is currently pursuing.

neville5000 likes this.
  15. 03hal

03hal Member

in that order.

Blackmore's Hat likes this.
  16. ellis dee

ellis dee Member

sweet virginia
    tumbling dice.
    oh wait...

Bobby D likes this.
  17. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

This is tough because I love that album:

1. She Talks To Angels
    2. Jealous Again
    3. Seeing Things

18. Bluesful

More Faces than Stones to my ears.

Mad-kiwi and ellis dee like this.
  19. msquared

msquared Member

I'm *just* old enough to have been peeved about hair metal dying off at the time. I dug the Black Crowes songs which made it to the radio but my resentment over the change in radio's musical landscape never allowed me to get past casual appreciation. I remember thinking that everybody on the radio was intentionally sloppy and basic as an act and it really bugged me that lack of precision was a thing. Stuff like She Talks to Angels seemed well written, but every bit as over produced as hair metal (just in a different direction).

Now that I'm older and wiser, I'm lately spending a lot of time listening to their stuff and loving it.

20. ethomas1013

ethomas1013 Supporting Member

Good call. Certainly the best of the post-Mark Ford era. It might be my second favorite, behind Southern Harmony. Amorica is good too.
    I happen to like By Your Side a lot :hide

Regarding Shake Your Money Maker, it's not an album I would go to when I'm in the mood for the Crowes. Certainly a strong debut with some good songs, and a much needed breath of fresh air when it came out, but I wouldn't put it in my top 5 favorite Crowes releases. My top three songs from the album:

Seeing Things
    Twice as Hard
    She Talks to Angels

neville5000 and Bluesful like this.