Crowther Hot Cake with a Blues Jr.?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Kev O))), Feb 23, 2012.

1. Kev O)))

Kev O))) Member

I currently have an EL84 equiped Tweed Blues Jr. and I'm looking for something to just dirty it up a bit for rhythm tones and would work equally as well with a Germanium Fuzz Face as a foundation tone.

I've been searching a lot of threads and found a lot of positive comments in regards to the Hot Cake with EL84 equipped Voxes but wondered if the same would be true with a Blues Jr.? Or are they that fundementally different in tone [Fender Mid-Scoop, etc] that a TS808 would work better for me.

They're both the same prices so...

Any comments or first-hand accounts would be appreciated.

2. JoeE

JoeE Member

I use a blues jr so I bought a hotcake under the impression it would sound great as it was EL84. Probably someone will disagree but I thought it was terrible combination. I could see why people love the Hotcake, it is a transparent smooth overdrive that can do anything from clean boost to fuzz. But the problem was with bottom end. I dont think the blues jr handles bass very well at all. The hotcake sounded flabby and farty in the bottom end (pun intended). I even kept it just in case I could get it to work for me but after being on and off my board for a year, it was time to admit that it just sounded bad with a blues jr. This is also why I love tube-screamers (I have a TS9 with 808 mod). It cuts the bass which is perfect for the blues jr. So I say get the 808

3. KevinFinn

KevinFinn Member

Yeah, I'd get something that gives you real control over the bottom end. Or stick with a Tubescreamer since low end isn't really an issue.

I really dig the Garagetone Drivetrain lately. Cheap too. Works with everything because you have Bass and Treble knobs, as opposed to just Tone.

4. Kev O)))

Kev O))) Member

Got it.

I will look into a 808 or something similar.

Thanks guys, much apprecitated.

5. vbf

vbf Supporting Member

The Hotcake and BJ combo didn't work for me either.

6. televox

televox Member

I'm really not a fan of the Hotcake not even with its so called "match made in heaven" the ac30.

7. chaz498

chaz498 Member

Horrible. But the MI Audio Crunchbox is a different story...

8. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

I've had four HCs over the years and yes they are amp dependent but IIRC, they seem to work better (for me anyway) with a HB equiped guitar.

9. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

FWIW, I prefer the bluesberry vs and use it as a rhythm low gainer.