Crowther Hotcake GAS

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Original_Fire, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Original_Fire

Original_Fire Member

Yeah, sure this hasn't been talked about on here before, right? ;)

So I've had this pedal suggested to me several times (largely when searching for good pairings for my AC30) but it never jumped out at me, and to be honest I've been content with my dirt for months now.

Enter hearing how Nels Cline makes use of it, and my "ndurrrrr" moment of "Oh wow, really? It does that?" and going back and listening to other's demos to feel like an idiot for having glazed over it initially.

What really stirs up the GAS for it is how "wooly" I hear it to be (for lack of a better term) compared to my current dirt arsenal.

Chime in a bit, tell me how you use yours, if you don't mind, and your likes/dislikes. :D

2. ahefferman

ahefferman Member

I use one with an ac15 handwired. It's pretty incredible on my jazz master ( antiquity 1 pickups). Very Nels like overdrive tones. On my sg it's a lot more wooly, after the 2 o'clock range or so on the drive control, depending on how you run your amp (I'm just at the verge of breakup), the pedal gets fuzzier. But the jazzmaster seems to take it better ( single coil vs. hum I suppose), very side with the seeds-esque. If that is what you are looking for, I can't recommend enough, I am running mine on normal mode, not blues breaker as well fwiw. I also have a v4 OCD and in my opinion the hotcake outshines it completely on single coils, the ocd is a little less "wooly" on my humbuckers. Have a Timmy and a Honey Bee (BJFE) on the way, wondering how they will compare, have a feeling those and the hotcake will make the final board cut. Time to upsize.

3. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

The Hotcake is a multifaceted beast. Turned down it can be as transparent as a Timmy. Maybe more so. Cranked it is a knarly fuzz. It is excellent every where else and cleans up great. My only tip is only judge it at volume and in a mix. That's where the magic is.

I am using one into a Fetto Custom and together they are amazing.

4. Original_Fire

Original_Fire Member

Thanks for the input!

Do they have a lot of volume on tap? Probably a stupid question, but wanted to ask.

So where exactly does everyone order these from? Direct? I did a quick Google search and only a few places popped up, and were out of stock.

5. KevinFinn

KevinFinn Member

Prymaxe can get you one within a couple days.

The Hotcake is pure gold. Nothing else like it.

One of the things less talked about is how dynamic the pedal is. The dirt you hear is highly dependent on your attack. It cleans up WITHOUT having to touch the volume knob on your guitar - you can just get gentle. It's a rhythm player's dream in that regard. A lot of songs where you might do a little palm muting in the verse and go full bore in the chorus... you can just leave the Hotcake on.

And there's plenty of volume on tap.

6. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

phenomenal pedal with a marshall or vox or tweed. i do not like it with a blackface style amp.

lots of punch, great buffer and plenty of volume.

there will be a decay of fizz that is noticeable enough to warrant mention. less so if you are not using too much drive, or are playing the pedal without some volume help from the amp.

set the volume louder than the drive and go for it!

7. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

crowther: great pedals; all of them.
    often overlooked by the masses.
    i still use a prunes'n'custard, thanks to hogy (of komet amps).

8. jdel77

jdel77 Silver Supporting Member

I love Hotcakes with amps that have their own natural midrange going on. The Hotcake pumps out clear and sparkly edge at low gain, great low end response. Similar to a Rat, more gain gets you from overdrive into distortion, then all out woolly fuzz.
    I've often thought that the perfect dirt box would borrow from the Rat and Hotcake for certain aspects. Just so much to love about either, but the Hotcake is a ripper with amps like Marshalls and Voxes.

9. ahefferman

ahefferman Member

I also find the hotcake to have plenty of volume on tap. I have the volume and drive both set around 1 o'clock and its more than loud enough, I then boost with a katana for solos, but I do play in a hip hop band that doesn't require all to dirt all of the time. For that I use my box of metal or stack the ocd and hotcake, both give me a great range of gain.

10. Original_Fire

Original_Fire Member

Thanks for all the responses folks. Looks like this is the next pedal on my wishlist!

Great to hear how well it works with both Vox and Marshall amps, as that's what I primarily play. All the info you guys have thrown has been helpful and appreciated!

Regarding the fizz on decay, are you aware of any clips I could check out where that's noticeable?

Also, it might stand to mention that I largely use single coils (Strats/Jazzmasters) and seldom play anything with humbuckers. Does the Hotcake seem to shine more with one than the other, or is it equally stellar with both?

11. sanhozay

the fizz is an artifact that really bothers some people because it doesn't sound "organic", compared to other overdrives. i think it sounds perfectly fine. it takes an ear and a bedroom to really "hear" it. at least, i think so. your clean sound is wrapped in the dirt and that's what's cool about it, your signal sounds like it's blended rather than manipulated or altered to sound totally different. with no dirt, it's totally clean. then the overdrive starts to roll in low gain, medium gain. that's when the fizz becomes audible. of course, at higher gain settings the ratty distortion sets in, then the muffish fuzz - and the fizz is part of the beauty!

it has a ton of ass, and a nice sparkle, and a very lifting projection.

i think in a band setting you'll never, ever hear the fizzy decay artifacts. i mean, if your drummer has cymbals and uses them you won't hear it. right?

it's a useful tool. i prefer the regular because it's a little less smooth and sounds more rock n roll to me!

12. Original_Fire

Original_Fire Member

Excellent! Appreciate that!

Yeah, from the sounds of things in a band setting with my drummer I won't notice it, which is fine by me. I love the idea of it retaining and wrapping around my original signal, that's very attractive to me. I plan on using it in the higher gain/fuzzier territory, and even thinking about those artifacts I feel like I can make use of that for my sound (I'm not a purist and go back and forth between a clean and trashy sound).

Regular as in non-bluesberry?

13. Timmo

Timmo Member

The HotCake is my favorite OD pedal overall.
    I love the Tim/Timmys when pushed a bit however, the HotCake KILLS at all volumes BUT it really shines at 'bedroom volume' through an old Marshall halfstack......I can make it sound HuGe all at a whisper.

No other OD pedal I know of does this so well.

;)

14. sanhozay

yes, but the new ones are switchable between both version. the regular uses a resistor, the bluesberry uses a diode. it's a subtle difference but i like the openness of the regular and prefer the way it distorts, and the overall grinding sound of it.

this hot cake demo is exactly what they sound like. the best demo i've ever heard for these pedals.

15. ahefferman

ahefferman Member

I think it shines with single coils, though I find use for it with my hums as well. All tonal differences welcome, certain tunes just call for different sounds, hence the use of multiple overdrive stomp boxes along with varying fuzz, distortion and clean boosts. But the lead sound in the demo posted above (around 55 sec in) is generally how I use it with my jazz. They come together well, but again I think jazzmasters just really like pedals (evidenced by the girth of Nels' board).

16. Original_Fire

Original_Fire Member

NICE! Pretty much seals the deal that I'm going to try one out. Thanks for the clarification!

Got ya. Appreciate the input! Really looking forward to picking one up and seeing the grit/wool it can give me next to my other dirt options.

17. popinvasion

popinvasion Supporting Member

Hotcake rules. I have several.

18. zztomato

zztomato Supporting Member

It's a great OD. I recently acquired a Tex Bernie (el84 amp) and was searching for an OD for that amp. The Hot Cake is the perfect match out of a selection of 5 ODs that I currently have. I just got a Bearfoot Sparkling Yellow OD1 that is also quite good but prefer the Hot Cake. Seems like just a sensible pedal to have in your arsenal because of it's unique el 84 friendly nature.

19. pullagnm

pullagnm Member

Until you tried the Double Hot Cake you will never know the true extent of what the Hot Cake is capable of. Reg/Blues version and then combined. One of my regrets is having to sell.

20. lofgren

lofgren Senior Member

I bought a hotcake from a fellow tpg'er a few months ago after reading how great they matched with an AC30, I have to say I absolutely love it. If youre playing through an AC30, get a hotcake, it goes with an ac30 like you wouldnt beleive. GREAT tone, sustain, clarity. just frickin awsome!