Crowther Hotcake issue

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by coolbritannia, Jan 28, 2012.

1. coolbritannia

coolbritannia Member

Just bought my first Hotcake pedal and the damn thing plum killed my volume. I tried changing the socket on the pedal power 2 but it's 9v and working fine, tried moving it in the signal chain, turned the amp way up and could *just* hear my signal.

Then in frustration, I jabbed the Hotcake with my foot, and BOOM! :omg

I'm not sure if it was the blast of sound from the amp or if I got an electric shock, but my fillings hurt.

Anyway, it seems that rolling the volume knob does nothing, but pressing it down seems to be reconnecting a circuit and allowing the pedal to operate normally. Is this loose knob something I can fix myself, or do I have to drive 40 miles to the store again to replace it?

2. SonicVI

SonicVI Member

sounds like a bad volume pot. I had the same problem with one once. I emailed Paul Crowther and he set me a set of new pots. If you can't replace the pot yourself you'll at least have the right part to take to a tech.

3. tinkercity

tinkercity Supporting Member

If its new from a store just return it.

4. coolbritannia

coolbritannia Member

Yeah I've pushed all the knobs down and it's working fine, but I'd rather not risk it for it to let me down at a gig, so back it goes. Thanks all.

5. radialaced

radialaced Member

Same problem here. I received my brand new Hotcake from Music Zoo today and I plugged it in and I had the exact same problem. Only my bad pot is on the drive knob. The pedal works in bypass mode but when I turn on the pedal my volume is barely audible. When I press straight down on the Drive knob the pedal kicks in and works properly. When I let go of the drive knob it goes back to barely audible. Press on it again and it works. I took the cover off and I can make it work if I press on the Drive potentiometer.

Shouldn't these pedals be QC'd before they leave the factory?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  6. Madison

Madison Supporting Member

Guess I was lucky, as my Hotcake from Music Zoo came in yesterday in fine shape. I'm assuming it is the same batch as yours. Anyway, killer pedal so long as it's working as intended. On a side note, an amp I shipped 2 days ago is broken in half I'm told by the buyer, so sharing the pain.