1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Crowther Hotcake or Xotic AC Booster

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TheGuildedAge, Jun 20, 2006.

1. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Supporting Member

Looking to overdrive a JCM800 and Fargen Epic 30. Anyone had a chance to ab these pedals, or at least use one of them.

I love the sound samples I've heard from both. Love the amps tones, just want a boost for solos, more crunch, etc.

2. bobgoblin

bobgoblin Supporting Member

hey, there, i've got an ac that i dig, but i'm thinking of moving because i just got an eternity...great pedal, tho. the bass/treble controls really helped me dial in some cut, as the amp i use is kinda dark. it's got plenty of gain on tap, but does a real nice 'cleanish' boost, too. i've not tried a hotcake, but yer right, the soundclips do sound good, i can't see how you could go wrong. good luck!

3. erksin

erksin Member

Totally different animals, IMO.

The AC is a TS-variant with great EQ, IMO. The Hotcake sounds nothing like it - bassier, more sizzle, even gets fuzzy at max gain. If you have an EL34 or EL84 based amp, you should probably go for the Hotcake as it's voiced to work best with those amps.

4. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

If you bought the Crowther i'd bet you'd be running the eq flat with the volume up with a hint of grind. Honestly, it's the only way these pedals work with a hot amp...AC30, different story but for a Marshall it's the only way the Hotcake works.
    I ran it that way myself as basically a mild overdrive until i bought the RC Booster which does exactly that with the added EQ options. For my money i'd lean towards an RC over either the HC or AC. My 50c worth :)

5. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Yeah...+1 on that.

The RC is a great all-rounder and may serve you better into an amp that's already pretty hot.

6. dosmun

dosmun Member

I use my Hotcake into my Rivera M-60 as dirty boost. A few years ago I tried an AC boost thinking it may replace my HC for this job as it had a little more EQ. The AC didn't do anything for me and the HC lives on to this day. The HC just seems to seem more natural with my amp than anything else I have tried. At low gain settings 9-11:00 it feels like a part of my amp.

7. TheGuildedAge

So if I want my amp, but more of it, I guess the RC Booster is the best choice?

8. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

The Hotcake can do clean boost and grind. It's way more open than the AC pedal and way more versatile than the RC. The RC all by its lonesome is a boring, colorless pedal. It's a good pusher but a flaccid booster. The Hotcake does have lots of grind on tap but the presence knob sounds awesome set well below flat to almost off. It's the more musical sounding pedal than the RC to my ears. I truly dig the AC but the Hotcake has a first rate buffer and just makes everything it pushes sound sweeter. Hall of Fame pedal. Get one! Tweeds / Marshalls / Voxes mate extremly well with this pedal.

9. TheGuildedAge

Well, my amps are marshall and a vox copy, so...

10. sanhozay

FYI, I have the Bluesberry version. It's a little softer sounding and not as fizzy.

11. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

I'll have to beg to differ with sanhozay here which is rare for me but to each their own eh?

I actually didn't like the Hotcake with my AC30 but I must admit it was the standard not the Bluesberry version. It wasn't so much the overall tone of it, it was more the way that the top end fizz seemed to remain on decay of the notes or as I turned down my guitar volume. I'd confess this seems to be something that most people seem to disagree with me about.

For me the RC is great for when you don't want to change your amp tone. It certainly is very un-hyped and I do have occasions where I want the colour of say my Klon (also a great booster) or my Timmy but I'm still a fan of the RC for when you just want more of your amp tone. If you want an extra harmonic imprint then maybe the RC wouldn't be the one.

I guess if at all possible try a Hotcake, an RC Booster and maybe a Durham Sexdrive too.

12. abuloso

abuloso Member

The fizz was the main thing that got to me too. Paul says that it is more evident in amps with a permanent bright switch like my Orange. However a tip here is to never use the presence knob at zero or at a low setting because it is actually a control for the high mids.

Having it a zero will basically give you a partially scooped sound. And when you turn presence up, you find you mids come back, eliminating fizz.

Or you can get Paul to mod your current Hotcake into a Bluesberry like I did.

13. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

If it were my choice i'd go the RC booster. I've heard the Klon sounds ordinary through marshalls...sounds killer with my OD-100 though, go figure. The great thing with the RC is it is transparent as hell...it's just like an extra volume control and if it get's too 'bottomy' you can wind it back.
    There are plenty of options to heat up the front end of any amp...Lovepedals produce some of my all time fave's, but for what you seek, RC will do ya :) It's my go-to pedal on my boards.

14. BlueHeaven

BlueHeaven Member

abuloso,
    How much did the Bluesberry mod cost? I emailed Paul but he hasn't got back to me yet. I loved my Hotcake w/El-84 amps but I'm using 6V6 amps now and the upper end fizzyness is now evident. I'm hoping the mod tames it enough w/o losing the things I loved about it in the first place.
    Greg

15. abuloso

abuloso Member

Well, I'm in NZ. So that cost me 54 NZ bucks to get it done. Not sure about from US, but I would imagine it mounting up to 50 US$ with killer shipping. Paul changed the whole circuit board in my case, so it's more than just a simply mod.

It's 8AM in NZ now anyway, so he'll reply in a few more hours.

16. TheGuildedAge

I think the RC is what I want. I want to take my Fargen from pretty clean, to on the verge of breakup glassy crunch, then use my stupid box for distorted leads.

17. BlueHeaven

BlueHeaven Member

abuloso,
    Sheesh, I forgot about Paul being in NZ! I might be better off buying a Bluesberry and selling whichever version I like less. Or, better yet, keep both.
    Greg

18. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

Or you can just crank the presence like I do! :AOK I run my hotcake as a mid gain od, with the presence on full and i think it sounds pretty sweet. I think Hotcake would be the pedal you'd want if you want noticable gain. Eternity would also fit on that list.

If your wanting a cleaner OD, to just boost the JCM, you probally wanna look at the xotics, Klon, or a gaspedals' CARB. There are several other possibuilities out there as, for instance, Dave Barber's pedals all sound great with Marshall's. I've also heard good things about the Hao pedals and Marshall's.

19. sanhozay

No harm, no harm; You have a wonderful ear and get the tones, my friend!

20. sl1960a

sl1960a Supporting Member

+1 on the Hot Cake - I picked up a used one earlier this year and it's the ONLY OD pedal I've used in several years. Works great with my Rivera BM60.