Crowther / Prunes and Custard

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by thebot, Jun 11, 2006.

1. thebot

thebot Member

Hi, does anyone know if you can buy these direct or is it just through dealers?

2. Brick

Brick Member

I believe you can get them directly from Mr. Crowther himself.

Email and ask him at: croth at clear dot net dot nz

3. thebot

thebot Member

Cheers for the info.:AOK

4. cslagle7

cslagle7 Member

I'm really interested in the P&C too. Anybody know where you can find guitar clips for this thing? It seems like its more suited for bass or studio processing, but I read that Tweedy used it on most of the new Wilco record. The clips on musictoyz don't sound all that great- I wonder if theres a more representative clip out there- something that shows what this thing is capable of. anyone? thanks.

5. matte

matte Senior Member

i borrowed spaltt's and didn't give it a fair chance. he sounds incredible with (and without)it.

6. threm

threm Member

I like the P&C a lot. It can be quite dynamic and driven by pick attack; picking harder and you`ll add harmonics. Picking harder and a semi clean chord will get twistier and start breaking up.
    Kicking in a booster or OD before it and the P&C will get turned on and be more of a beast.

A good spice to have on the table.
    Like great spices it can make a plain meal quite tasty.
    Meaning you don`t have to learn all those esoteric chords to sound exotic. :rolleyes:
    Great pedal for making semi clean sounds interesting.

I use it along with a Wolftone Chaos that does a similar thing.

http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Data/Studio_Electronics/CHAOS-1.html
    http://www.guitareffectspedals.com/wolftone.html

7. Frosted Glass

Frosted Glass Member

There's a switch for guitar and bass, so it's definately suited to both, though I have heard that the "whacky' elements are pretty subtle on guitar compared to bass. The musictoyz clips are like 7k. Terrible quality. You can't make a decision based on them.

8. trisonic

trisonic Member

I'm not really a pedal person but I really enjoyed this one when it passed thru my feet enroute back to Hogy. Yes, it helps if your amp is cranked a little because it milks out interesting harmonics and gives distortion real added character. Very musical though not just noise.
    Distinctive and unusual, different and good.

Best, Pete.

9. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

I had one about 6 years ago or so: it was very cool, unique sounding, kind of vaguely synth-ey, and totally usable. I kept it for a year or so, then rotated it out for something else (don't remember what - probably a Moog RingMod).

The P&C is very dynamic, works well w/pick attack. Try one - they're pretty rad!

10. sandman

sandman Member

damn, now I want it even more :drool

11. ck3

ck3 Member

If I'm not mistaken, the Spencer Amps Subzombie can create similar textures to the Prunes'n'Custard ... and its at least $50 cheaper and just as boutique. :crazy

12. trisonic

trisonic Member

Well, that's so "boutique" I've never heard of it!

Seriously most of the guys seen extolling the Prunes and Custard use what works for them not because of how "exclusive" they are - anyway they are pretty easy to obtain.
    My favourites pedals are Danelectros' "Chicken Salad" and "Fish and Chips". I got three of these for less than $100 in toto.

Best, Pete.

13. ck3

ck3 Member

Note the silly smiley in my last post. ;)

14. trisonic

trisonic Member

And I thought you meant that we were all crazy.......:crazyguy

Best, Pete.

15. muddy

muddy Member

hehehe... we DO enjoy butcheringen our langwige, duzn't we? :rotflmao

ml

16. thebot

thebot Member

Well, I've got one on the way now - thanks for all the info people! And much cheaper (i.e. 1/3 cheaper at least) than the stores over here charge for them. Even if I get hit by duty that still works out better.

17. KRosser

KRosser Member

I love the Chaos. Love it. Something about the way it interacts with my brain & fingers just always yields some good results for me, and it's not just the 'weirder' sounds on it.

The Prunes 'N Custard I could never get. I've tried sitting down with them a few times but came up empty handed. In addition to David, Richard Thompson, another fave guitar player of mine, also uses one and sounds amazing with it, or did at least. I think I'd rather listen to them use it.