Crunch Box for Chords

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ahltarocka, Mar 20, 2006.

1. ahltarocka

ahltarocka Supporting Member

Just got my Crunch Box and was looking forward to using it on a live gig. Used it live yesterday. I bought it specifically for overdriven Marshall Like chords. I must say that as of now I am disappointed. It sounds too fizzy and not clear when cranked over 2:00. Did sound cool on leads. I used it with my Strat Plus with Dimarzio pickups through my Mesa Boogie III. I will say that at the gig I couldn't really crank as much as I would have liked. Had to keep the volume at 10. Played in the 5th position-Neck. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I would get a Plexi sound that isn't muddy using the CB? How to set it up better or play in a different toggle position.

Ahltarocka

2. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Lots a low mid mud huh? My thoughts exactly. Sounded congested with my strat through a deluxe. I love the bass response tho and might order a Blues pro after I return the Crunchbox.

3. spentron

spentron Member

I've never had any luck with high gain on chords with the neck position pickup on any box, guitar or amp. Maybe with something that starts out with a treble booster or some other highly treble device, or to get more a "roaring" sound. Most high gain players reverse the traditional "lead" and "rythm" pickups positions or just use bridge pickup.

4. Madsman

Madsman Member

We had a different opinion of it through the Bassman at the Chicago gathering. It sounded awesome for that specific purpose. BUT I don't like the pedal at all on my Flexi with EL34s.

My guess is that it's simply going to pair a lot better with certain amps than others.

5. LordRiffenstein

LordRiffenstein Member

Something I learned the hard way as well (and which costed me a nice PRS). I used to play a lot of rhythm on the neck pickup of my strat. When I got a humbucker guitar, I did the same and it was muddy. Could never figure it out untill I started using the bridge (or inbetween) for high gain rhythm, it makes a HUGE difference!

6. marrelero

marrelero Member

Well, equipped with my Wolfgang and the bridge PUP the CB really delivers chewy, clear powerchords!

7. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

Maybe it's the neck pickup selection that's causing it to sound muddy. I used my Crunch Box with my Albert Lee in the bridge position and got clear crunchy chords. Sounded awesome. When I used the CB with the neck pup it was for leads.

8. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

The "fizz" you mention sounds like what I experienced with my first CB. With gain past 9am I'd get this transistery type metalic fizz that decayed in a very uneven way . . .especially on 7th and 9th chords. My replacement does not do it as bad but it's still there. I've come to the conclusion this box is best suited (at least in my setup) for very low gain (JTM45ish) leads/rhythm and really higher gain lead tones.

9. el34power

el34power Member

The Cb is the most violent pedal i have ever come accross. I use it in the low input of my JCM800/2203, 2greens/2fangs, with a strong PAF type in the bridge of the SBG1000, tuned to 430, 11 to 48 strings. Oh sh.t.
    VH D.O.A. , Unchained here we go. Its exactly what i wanted but. I can see why some people my not like it. I use a Grey DODclone and/or a Crystal boost after it for leads. i am not buying any pedals in the near futur....this week.:rolleyes:

10. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

YOU GOT IT DUDE!!!! When I started reading all the CrunchBOX raves and hearing people flip over basic soundclips I shut up the whole time. I bought 1 of the Tsunami-Benefit Auction versions of this pedal last year and it was called the PLEXI-CRUNCH... All of a sudden everyone went crazy over it thinking it was the be-all-end-all BEST pedal ever... NO WAY... It's a great pedal but so are another 30 od's and distortions I have.. THEY ALL NEED TO MATCH YOUR SITUATION and YOUR AMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There's not a 1 that's the best with all my amps.. NOT EVEN CLOSE.... I don't like my Plexi-crunch pedal at all with my FLEXI, even though some other guys were saying how it KILLED with the FLexi... NOT ME... I have a dozen others I like lots more with my FLexi.. PLUS the Flexi is even so Different when you handpick preamp tubes and power tubes for it, that my Flexi won't sound like yours!!! : ) Anyway, just needed to say this stuff and get it off my chest.

ERIC

11. ericb

LOw gain amps and very high gain lead tones is EXACTLY what I'd recommend the crunchbox (or my Plexi-Crunch) pedal for . NOthing in between... And mine sounds EXTREMELY like an 'exploding' (in the good sense of the word) amp , and FEELS like an exploding (in the good sense) amp , in the right conditions!

ERIC

p.s. (added this after) My last 2 posts are NOT a dig , or dis , on the Crunchbox at all.. They're just related insights I get from owning too much equipment!

12. Dana

Dana Guest

Mine sounds great though a DRRI. :)

13. ericb

I don't have my DR -RI anymore, (although I had a KILLER Blonde one) but I bet that pedal would be just awesome thru that amp

ERIC

14. Thazy

Thazy Member

I like my CB but, I don't think it is the end-all of od's. I use it with gain set to 12:00 into a twin with some very good results. I think the key is it doesn't work as well with higher output pu's. Thru my lower output Strat pu's, it sounds better. It doesn't get as muddy in all three pu positions.
    I also use a Keeley TS808 and a Barber Silver LTD and get great results out of all three. As was mentioned earlier, everything needs to "match" to get sounds that someone is looking for. In my experience, no one od sounds good thru every amp and every guitar. Ah, the search for tone continues...

15. Dana

Dana Guest

I agree. There is no one OD/Distortion for every situation. Different applications require different guitars, amps, and effects. The key is knowing which ones work best in certain applications, so one can dial in the perfect tone for each setting.

I'm having fun collecting overdrives!

Just my $.02

16. drolling

drolling Member

It was a clip posted here that piqued my interest in this pedal. Normally, I don't give much credence to sound samples, as there are too many variables to take into account.

But the clip in question was a strat into a clean fender amp - power chords, pinch harmonics & some single string work.

So when (or if) my CB ever gets here, I'll be using it w/a 50s strat and my Vibroverb, not a les paul and a Marshall. And I won't be featuring big, dense jazz chords, either.

I've got a mountain of these little boxes and don't expect them to be interchangeable w/all my gits & amps. You've got to play to your equipment's strenghths, not fight against it, trying to make it do stuff it wasn't designed for.

So if the CB can do THAT ONE TRICK for me, I'll be very happy..

Off to the post office...

17. ahltarocka

ahltarocka Supporting Member

18. drolling

drolling Member

OK, it's in.

And yes it's dark, noisy and seems to work best w/tone & gain cranked/bridge p-up/nonmaster blackface..

..just like I expected it would!

Mike's hit another one right outa the park!!

Next up; the BluesBoy Deluxe - I'm getting one ASAP:dude

19. yZe

yZe Senior Member

Tampa, on the Territory of Florida (D.C. Free Zone
    Good Thread:

I play my high gain rhythms w/the bridge PUP(PRS Dragon)and middle PUPs in to a Red Bear MKE 120 or a 60 at times. (marshall JCM 800 circuit-point to point)

Can the Crunch Box deliver a rhythm crunch tone comparable to Van Halen's first 4 albums?

Does it work this way when the amp is set clean

Some of the stuf I write has distorted, yet dissonant chords which total 6 strings at times

With the amp set clean, Does the crunch box get the definition factor a far as playing multi noted, dissonant chords or chords with lots of color tones (9ths, 11ths, 13ths, etc . . )